Chapter 39

After they entered town, Zelda and the Gerudo Warriors found not only Buliara and Link still missing, but no sign of Riju either.
     When Merina asked Katta, the guard standing inside the throne room, about Riju's whereabouts, she shrugged. 'Buliara and that Hylian voe came back, dragging an unconscious voe with them. They talked to Riju and not much later they all left town, heading southeast.'
     Zelda frowned. That was the direction they had come from, yet they hadn't seen a single sign of them.
     'You have no idea where they were going?' Merina asked the guard, but she just shook her head.
     Zelda felt her worry come back at full force, wondering what they were doing, who the man was and where they were now. If only she could talk to Link.
     'When was this?' She asked Katta, a little fiercer than she intended.
     The Gerudo looked at her unconvinced, but shrugged again. 'Somewhere last night.'
     Zelda took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. There was nothing wrong yet, she told herself. They had spent the night somewhere in the desert, but that didn't mean they were in danger. Knowing Link and the Gerudo Captain, they had a plan. Buliara would never drag Riju out of town if she thought it was risky.
     'Let's get some rest, Zelda,' Merina said, gently dragging her by the arm. 'There is no use in going after them now. I'm sure they will be back soon.'
     Zelda nodded, but after she found a bed in Hotel Oasis, she couldn't get her mind to shut down. For a long time she lay awake, tossing and turning and staring at the ceiling.

In the end she slept for a few hours, but she woke early and couldn't resume her sleep, so she decided to get up.
     The town was still fast asleep as Zelda walked over the central square, enjoying the cool air and silence. It was so peaceful that it was hard to feel stressed.
     After some mindless wandering around she found herself at the stairs to the throne room, where she was greeted by the two guards.
     She offered them a friendly smile, but didn't stop to chat. Instead she walked further and climbed the wall like Riju had shown her.
     The cold water around her feet sent a shiver up her spine, but she walked on and rested her elbows on the edge, her head in her hands.
     Eventually the sun rose up and the town slowly came to life. Everybody seemed to go somewhere, one or another purpose in their mind.
     Zelda sighed, realizing she might be the only one around here who had nothing to fill her day with. All she could do today was wait and hope that Link would return.
     Just when she sighed again, the splashing of water behind her captured her attention and she turned around, only to find Lady Riju herself coming towards her.
     'Riju!' She exclaimed, relief filling her voice.
     'Good morning, Princess,' she responded, a kind smile on her lips.
     'Where were you?' Zelda asked, too impatient to exchange simple greetings and chitchat. 'Is Link with you?' She looked over Riju's shoulder, hoping to see the characteristic grin of her knight there.
     Riju chuckled at her eagerness, but then shook her head. 'He is not back yet, unfortunately.'
     Zelda felt her smile falter, but tried to keep her head up.
     'He is at the Bazaar,' Riju continued. 'But he has something important to do first.' She smiled apologetically. 'You know he will come back as fast as he can.'
     Zelda nodded, feeling sad despite knowing he was safe. For a second she had hoped she could see him again, but now it seemed to be put off even longer.
     'I hadn't expected to find you here.' Riju then changed the subject. The smile never left her face, indicating that she did not mind.
     Zelda bowed her head, feeling a little guilty for using Riju's silent place. 'I wanted to be alone for a while,' she said.
     Riju nodded. 'I understand. I, too, am often in company of others. If I show my face in town everybody stares after me, and if I am in my private rooms there are always guards.' She chuckled. 'Or Buliara.'
     'Don't get me wrong,' she quickly added. 'I love her, she is like family to me, but I like to be alone too sometimes.'
     Zelda nodded, fully understanding the feeling. She had barely ever been really alone in all her life.
     'I know what you mean,' she told the Chief. 'You always feel watched, and judged for every mistake.'
     Riju nodded. 'We are a lot alike, I think.' She smiled, looking kind and open, way more mature than her young age would expect.
     'Sometimes I can forget that I'm not alone, though,' Zelda said, looking out over Gerudo Town.
     A loving smile appeared on her face as her thoughts drifted off. 'When I'm alone with Link, he can make me forget his presence.' She chuckled, realizing how that sounded. 'Not in a bad way though.'
     'He can be so quiet, so relaxed, that my mind wanders off and hours could pass without either of us talking.' She sighed. 'I like those kind of silences, where you're together yet alone. Does that make sense?' She asked Riju, turning to her.
     The Gerudo Chief smiled at her. 'It does. You're very lucky to have someone to share that with.'
     Zelda nodded, fully convinced that she was.
     'He is very special,' Riju softly said, leaning against the wall beside the princess. 'I have never met someone so selfless and kind.'
     A warm feeling spread through Zelda at those words, as she remembered that that person had fallen in love with her. She truly was lucky.
     'One day, I am sure there will be someone out there like that for you,' she assured Riju, gently patting her arm.
     Riju laughed. 'I bet there is. I would first have to actually get out there.'
     Zelda chuckled. 'That sounds a lot like what I used to say, back when I was living at the castle with my father, trying to unlock my sealing powers.'
     A sad smile appeared on her face, as she thought back of her old life, and of her father. Despite the pressure he had put on her, she knew he meant well and she had loved him deeply.
     'Right now I just wish I had enjoyed it more, my time at home,' she muttered softly.
     She still missed both of her parents every single day and she would give almost anything to go back to the time when life was simpler, when they were all together.
     The only thing she truly did not want to give up, was Link. Despite their rocky start and her own resentment towards him, spending years apart and having to get to know each other all over again, he had become the light of her life.