Chapter 35

Zelda watched Link disappear into the distance, skilfully guiding his sand seal in the right direction.
     She herself did not feel as confident sliding on a shield behind a moving animal, but luckily she didn't have to. She would ride together with Merina, in a sort of carriage especially made for riding sand seals.
     Their gear was stacked between their feet, as Zelda tightly held on to the sides. She tried not to think of how fast these animals could go, but felt her fear grow when she looked at Bertri and Babi speeding off.
     There was not much time to worry though, because with a sudden lurch their own two sand seals started moving, pulling the carriage along.
     Zelda's knuckles turned white from her grip on the railing, but Merina was fully in control, and the other three soon came behind them.
     Their group followed the road back out of the desert, past the Kara Kara Bazaar.
     After a while Zelda could start to relax, looking around a little more and enjoying the wind in her face.
     She could see the slope where Buliara and Link had gone up, and even imagined that she could see their small silhouettes at the bottom of the cliff.
     A few seconds later two sand seals came speeding out of the inlet, returning to their homes.
     Zelda smiled at the sight of those majestic animals swimming through the sand, before they disappeared from view behind her.
     Within no-time the shadows of the mountains ahead fell over them and they reached the entrance of the Gerudo Canyon Pass, where they left their seals as well and gathered their gear.
     Reeza offered to take some of her load, but Zelda refused. 'I am equal to all of you here, so there is really no need. I will pull my weight too.'
     Reeza nodded. 'Alright then...' she smirked. 'Zelda.'
     Zelda laughed, feeling the atmosphere lighten now that the others understood she was not here to be a princess. She just wanted to be among friends, hoping that these women could see her like that.
     On their journey to the desert they had remained respectful and even a little distant, preferring the easygoing company of Link, but now Zelda was determined to change that.
     'Okay then,' Merina called out. 'The first part will be the hardest, with some tough climbs. We better get going so that we avoid the worst heat.'
     Zelda took a deep breath, as she took the first step deeper into the canyon. She would now fully have to trust on the skills and abilities of her companions, without Link by her side for protection.
     Somehow she felt naked without him, always one step behind or a little up ahead, scouting the area.
     'You'll be alright, Zelda,' Laine said, briefly placing a hand on her shoulder. 'Don't despair for your knight. Even he could not take the six of us together.' She smirked.
     Zelda smiled back, truly appreciating the effort to make her feel better, but something told her that Link could actually beat them. She did not say that however, as she returned her attention to walking.
     Up ahead the Stable came into view, and Zelda's heart skipped a beat when she realized her beloved Thunder was there.
     As they walked past, she tried her best to see into the stables and thought that she could actually see the white manes of her horse, but it could just as easily be a different one.

Her heart now heavy with the miss of her two most trusted companions, she started the climb up to Spectacle Rock.
     Luckily, the Gerudo Warriors were a cheerful lot, constantly talking and making jokes, laughing among each other and making Zelda feel much better.
     Still, her physical condition was not as good as it once was and she soon fell behind, panting hard as she stubbornly put one foot in front of the other.
     Her shoulders were aching from her heavy pack and still hurt a bit from her encounter with the wolves, but she refused to complain.
     In the end, Merina noticed how she struggled to keep up and called for a break.
     Zelda sighed in relief as she dropped down on the spot, trying to regain her breath and relax her burning calves.
     They had reached a spot where the ground levelled out a bit, and for the first time she took the time to look around.
     It was a strange place, some kind of round quarry with rectangular ledges cut out in grey rock, very different from the usual yellowish colour.
     In the middle of the circle that the path created stood a gigantic pillar, broader at the top. As she looked up Zelda could clearly see the outlines of wooden bridges spanning over the pillar.
     The idea of having to cross those wobbly bridges made her stomach flutter, but she tried to focus on the road up ahead first. That bridge was still quite high up.
     As Zelda sat on the ground gazing up, she hadn't noticed Merina coming to stand behind her, until she crouched down and placed a hand on her shoulder.
     'Are you alright?' She asked softly, so that the others couldn't hear.
     Zelda smiled, appreciating what the Gerudo did, before nodding. 'I'm okay. Just a little out of breath. I'm afraid my strength isn't as big as yours.' She chuckled.
     Merina nodded, still looking at her seriously, despite Zelda's attempts to make it lighthearted. 'We will take it a little slower. These mountains are no joke and I promised to keep you safe.'
     Zelda tried to wave it away with her hand. 'Truly, I am fine. I can continue.'
     Merina looked at her thoughtfully. 'That might be so, but we want you to stay safe. That includes safe from exhaustion and overachieving.'
     She now smiled a little, before standing straight again. 'We will keep your pace.'
     Zelda sighed as she got up. Merina reminded her of Link, the way she tried so hard to protect her and shield her from any form of danger.
     On one hand it always annoyed her, feeling weak and defenceless, but on the other hand she had grown to trust Link and felt safe around him, always counting on him for guidance or support.
     The fact that Merina was now doing much the same made Zelda miss him more, but it somehow also helped her feel almost normal.
     At least it was clear now why Link had taken a liking to the Gerudo and always seemed to enjoy her company.
     Deep in thought Zelda had barely noticed where they were going, until the group halted near some wooden platforms built along the cliffs.
     Zelda sensed a change in the group and opened her mouth to ask what was going on, when Kotta and Laine pulled out their swords and shields, carefully stepping forward.
     Zelda's eyes opened wide as she looked past the warriors and saw an electric Lizalfos standing on the path.