Chapter 9

Zelda sat at the table in the Ancient Tech Lab, hunched over the old texts of the mysterious book. Her nose almost touched the paper as she tried to decipher what was written underneath the splotches and faded ink.
     Link sat next to her and was talking agitatedly to Symin, who was still rummaging around bookshelves, occasionally looking over his shoulder as he answered the knight.
     Across from her Purah still sat bent over her notes, scribbling and now and then flipping through different books. Whenever Zelda found something new of interest she told Purah, who then wrote it down between her other notes.
     Hours had passed since Link had stormed in, looking frantic and a little panicked. As soon as she had seen him she knew he was worried and she had felt incredibly guilty about that.
     She imagined him sitting in front of his house, looking up at the road every once in a while, as he was preparing dinner. Her heart ached at the thought of his increasing worry and the frown that would slowly settle itself on his face.
     She still hadn't eaten anything, but she was too busy to care. The texts were so intriguing, so extensive. She couldn't help but wonder what more secrets were written in there.
     As Purah sighed and put her head in her hand, elbow leaning on table, Zelda noticed the way here eyes were small and a little red. She looked exhausted. Now that she thought about it she felt a little tired herself.
     Stifling a yawn, she reached across the table and looked at the Sheikah Slate, telling her it was 3 o'clock. She rubbed her eyes and put it back down, before standing up.
     Three pairs of eyes settled themselves on her and she chuckled excusingly, dragging her hand through her hair. 'We should probably all get some sleep. Maybe we will get further once we are rested.'
     Link nodded approvingly and rose to go as well. He placed the book he had been flipping in back on the pile and let Zelda go before him, towards the door.
     With a little wave, not bothering to say a proper goodbye, considering they would be back soon, they left and silently mounted their horses.
     Zelda could see Link from the corner of her eye, looking serious as ever, vigilant and sharp. Deep down she knew he probably blamed himself for not keeping a closer eye on her. Nothing had happened, but he hadn't known that as he rushed up the hill.
     'I'm really sorry, Link,' she heard herself say.
     He looked up at her, his piercing blue eyes kind as ever, not showing any sign of accusation. His lips curled up in a small smile and he nodded once. 'It's really okay, Zelda. I'm just glad you're okay.' He looked back down. 'Something could have happened up there and I would have been too late. I only blame myself for letting my guard down.' He grabbed the reins tightly, making his knuckles go white. 'I'm still your appointed knight, sworn to protect you.'
     'Please don't blame yourself, Link. I am the only one to blame here. I lost track of time a little and in all my excitement I forgot to send you a message. That's inexcusable. You are not to blame for anything.' She kept looking at him intently, until he finally looked back and showed a tight smile, not completely convinced but not arguing either.
     'Don't forget, I know how to use a sword now,' she said, smile evident in her voice.
     He chuckled slightly at that. 'And how...' he muttered, glancing at her, a teasing look in his eyes.
     She laughed and softly pushed his shoulder in mock offence. Secretly she was immensely relieved he seemed to be back to his old self a little. The serious, dutiful knight he sometimes became was by far not as fun as the relaxed, cheerful Link she had gotten to know.
     When they reached the house they were both too tired to bother much with cleaning up. Each of them just dropped themselves in their respective beds and soon Zelda felt herself drifting off.

In the morning she got up slowly, feeling mostly refreshed and full of energy again. The thought of discovering something new today helped her with an additional boost of energy.
     When she got downstairs she discovered everything was still as it had been the night before. As she looked behind her, she discovered Link still lying in a pile of blankets, deeply asleep.
     She realised suddenly she had rarely ever seen him sleep. He always woke up early, not seeming to need much of it.
     For a while she stood there, unsure of what to do, studying him and the peaceful expression on his face. He looked so much younger like this, with his smooth jaw and his hair pointing in all directions.
Suddenly Link let out a soft groan and turned around, startling Zelda so she quickly turned away.
     When she realised he didn't move further she carefully glanced his way, seeing how he still lay tightly rolled up under the sheets. She let out a relieved sigh and started placing out breakfast.
     It was around 11 o'clock already, but she now started to feel the hunger that hadn't been there before. She decided Link could take care of himself and quickly ate her share, before heading outside.
     The fire had been reduced to embers by the time they came back last night, the soup at the edge now cold and looking a little weird. She figured it might do more harm than good now and threw it in the grass a little further away.
     She then got to cleaning the gear Link had used. After finishing up, with Link still not having shown his face, she reset the fire for next time, refilled the water, washed herself thoroughly and checked on the horses.
     Just as she was heading back inside to see why it took Link so long, she collided with him in the doorway. In instinct she grabbed onto him and clamped her hands around his biceps.
     For a few seconds time seemed to be frozen, as she stared at him, his face only inches away from her own. When he looked back with big eyes she could clearly see the little green dots on his Irises.
     When his mouth slowly quirked up in a grin, she realised she was staring and quickly stepped back, releasing his arms. She cleared her throat and brushed of her clothes, looking anywhere but at him. The amused smirk he was giving her was almost palpable.
     With a curt nod Zelda then grabbed his shoulders, moving him aside, as she brushed past him into the house.
     While Link was outside, she kept herself busy rummaging through some cabinets, waiting for the burning of her cheeks to die down. Why did she have to embarrass herself like that?
     When she finally felt safe enough to look him in the eyes again, she went back outside. He was sitting under the tree, munching contently on an apple.
     Just looking at him made her feel uncomfortable again and she was certain her cheeks were a bright pink, but she bravely squared her shoulders and walked over.
     'Morning,' she said, while sitting down as well. 'I assume you slept well?' She asked, her eyebrow raised suggestively.
     Now it was his turn to blush a little, as he rubbed the back of his head and grinned. 'Yeah... I guess I was really tired.' He looked at her, eyebrows raised. 'Did it bother you?'
     'Not at all!' She quickly replied, mentally slapping herself for the exaggerated outburst. 'I felt like you needed your rest, considering I kept you up all night.'
     Link cocked his head to the side, an amused grin appearing on his face again.
     As Zelda realised how that sounded she felt her cheeks start to burn again. She shuffled nervously, but decided not to comment on it. She would only make it worse.
     Eventually Link seemed to feel a little guilty for making her so awkward and chuckled. 'I see you've kept yourself busy. Saves us some time. Now we can head up to the Lab as soon as you'd like.'
     Zelda beamed up at him, already forgotten about her embarrassment from before. She did, however, notice how he kindly steered away from the topic and internally thanked him for that.
Within a few more minutes she was ready to set out, Link not far behind her. They gently rode their horses through town, greeting villagers as they passed. They had become a common sight here and the people enthusiastically waved, while clearing the path for them to pass.
On their way up, Zelda felt completely at ease with Link again and they talked amiably. The short ride seemed to be over in no time at all and she was almost disappointed when they dismounted in front of the Lab. Almost.