Chapter 56

It was early in the afternoon when Link and Zelda called everyone together at the only place that was acceptable: the inn.
It felt strange, to see all these people that he knew from different places, now all together in this one room. Link had never expected to see all of them interact, and it was weird to think he was the only one that really knew every single person in the room.
Obviously Sidon and Riju were there, to represent the Zora and Gerudo, and Teba had returned that morning with the initial reports from his scouts, now taking over command of the Rito from Harth.
Bayge, who had up to this point led the Gorons, was replaced by Yunobo, who had also arrived late in the morning.
Link had sent out a messenger at the same time he had sent Bazz and Rivan to the Zora, but it had taken the Goron much longer to climb the mountain, and longer still to march back with a whole battalion of armed forces.
Nonetheless, they were here now, and in time for battle, so Link had no reason to complain.
Even the Sheikah had answered their call, but they weren't expected for at least another day, and their numbers were small to begin with.
All in all, their army really started to take shape, and Link secretly felt a little proud of that accomplishment.
Even though he had resented it, he had to admit that he was good at this, at delegating and reasoning what still had to be done, at organizing an army.
Things with Zelda were much better now too, since the night before when they had worked things out. There were still some things to be discussed, and he would have to learn to trust her again, but he believed they would be alright.
He was just happy that they were okay, and able to lead this army together.

They now all sat around the table, with Zelda as the official head of what could only be described as a war-counsel, and Link as her advisor, right hand and appointed knight.
He felt weird, being in this authoritative position, when he considered all these people as his friends.
Zelda, on the other hand, was acting as a born leader, exactly as she was supposed to.
Link couldn't help but grin proudly, as she addressed their guests friendly and soon came to business, speaking gently but determined.
'Teba,' she said, focusing on the Rito. 'Please tell us what your scouts have reported.
He nodded, leaning back in his chair. 'We found them on Satori Mountain, around Rutile Lake.' He looked around the table, making sure everyone was listening intently.
'There is one of those stone skull things, where I believe their leaders hide out. The others sleep under the trees, with barely any form of shelter.'
Zelda nodded, as she folded her hands in front of her. 'So they might not stay long there?'
Teba shook his head. 'It appeared to be a temporary stop on their journey. I have ordered my scouts to follow them and report in case they move on.'
Zelda nodded approvingly. 'Very well. What more can you tell us of their numbers, their weapons? Have you seen them perform any form of combat?'
'I can't exactly say how many men they have, but it's quite a lot. They were hiding out under the trees, and it was hard to get a good look at them, but they covered a big part of the southern slope of the mountain.'
Teba now leaned forward, frowning as he tried to recollect all details. 'Most of them carried swords, shields and spears, but I also noticed some archers.' He smiled. 'I doubt they will be a match for us though.'
Link scoffed, earning him a sharp look from the Rito. 'You're starting to sound like Revali,' he chuckled.
Teba shrugged. 'It's just the facts. Us Rito are the most skilled archers in the kingdom.'
Link raised his eyebrows skeptically. 'You never know, Teba. Don't dismiss them before you've seen them fight. We don't want to underestimate these people.'
'He's right,' Riju cut in. 'They have caused some real chaos in the desert, and us Gerudo are also known for our skilled warriors. That doesn't mean it was easy for us to fight them off.'
'Alright,' Teba said, raising his hands defensively. 'I won't say they'll be easy targets, but I am certain that their number of archers isn't as big as ours.'
'That's good news,' Zelda said. 'Still, we will need to think of something to identify and take out their archers as quickly as possible. I wouldn't much care for a rain of arrows.'
The others nodded, various thoughtful expressions on their faces.
     'Now what else can you tell us about their forces?' Zelda asked, remaining focused on business.
     Teba shrugged. 'There is not much to tell, actually. I have seen their camp, their weapons and their current position, but I had to get back for the first report. We will get word as soon as something changes, or if my men discover something important.'
     Zelda nodded. 'Thank you, Teba. You have really done us a great service.'
     The Rito nodded solemnly and leaned back again, apparently content that his role was fulfilled, for now.
     'Now I wanted to make some plans for the near future,' Zelda started. 'We need to make sure we all work together, that we can be one army and know each other's strengths.'
     Link saw all others nodding, but he knew that it might prove to be a challenge to really form one union.
     'Link,' Zelda suddenly said, snapping him out of his thoughts.
     He looked up to see her looking at him, a strangely worried expression on her face.
     'I would like you to be in charge of the training, to make sure everyone will learn to trust each other.' She smiled at him, a little nervously. 'Will you do that?'
He smiled inwardly, knowing why she asked it so politely. She was obviously still a little scared of upsetting him, and he thought it was rather cute.
'I will,' he nodded. 'You can count on me.'
He could see the relief on her face, and they both knew the underlying message there: he would do whatever he could, and remain by her side.
He had not wanted the responsibility, but eventually he had accepted it and he would do his very best to ensure their success. It was serious now, and he was very aware of the amount of lives at stake.
     'Okay,' Zelda said with a nod, settling the matter. 'I spoke to Bolson this morning, and he told me that the fortifications of the wall are almost finished. Our smiths have already produced an impressive amount of weapons, shields and armour, so that is all in order.'
     Zelda smiled, obviously very pleased with the work that was being done.
'I was thinking,' she said, directing her attention towards Sidon. 'It would be perfect if you and your men can cover the moat around the castle. If they were to find a way across the water, that will be a real weak spot. I think the Zora are the perfect choice to defend it. To make sure they will not reach this side.'
Sidon nodded, grinning broadly. 'I don't think any of us would object to that.'
'We can help there too,' Teba added. 'I can send some of my men to cover from above.'
Zelda nodded, looking at him in surprise. 'That's a really good idea, Teba, thank you.'
The Rito nodded, crossing his arms and nodding once, satisfied with his contribution.
'I suppose we-,' Riju said, pointing at herself and at Yunobo, '-will cover the walls?'
The princess nodded with a smile. 'Exactly. You are our best warriors in direct combat, and I think they will aim most of their attacks that way.'
Riju nodded, silently accepting her position.
Yunobo looked a little more unsure, but he had looked rather uncomfortable ever since he got here.
'Do you think the Gorons will be ready?' Zelda asked, clearly sensing his hesitation.
Link smiled to himself, realizing not for the first time that Zelda really did make a great princess. She was very perceptive, and empathetic, so that everyone would be heard.
Yunobo nodded slowly. 'I'm sure they will be,' he said, before chuckling nervously. 'It's just that I have never fought such a battle before. I'm not sure I'm the right guy to lead them.'
Zelda smiled reassuringly. 'Bludo chose you to command the Gorons in his place, and he would not do that without reason.'
     'Plus,' Link quickly added. 'You have been a really big influence in calming down Vah Rudania. They respect you. They trust you.' He reached out and patted the big guy on his back.
     'If you really need help, I will be there for you,' Link continued with a smile. 'But I believe in you, Yunobo. You will do great.'
     The young Goron smiled and dragged a hand over the back of his head. 'Thank you, Link. I suppose you are right.' He then turned towards Zelda. 'I'll do whatever I can.'
     She offered him a kind smile, and nodded in appreciation. 'Very well.'
     Zelda then looked around the table. 'If all of you are clear on what to do, let's get to it.' She put her hands down and pushed herself to her feet, quickly followed by the others.
     Link remained seated for a moment longer, watching them leave with a faint smile. It was nice to see all his friends working hard, working together, to keep the kingdom safe.
     It promised good things for the future.