twenty five

i sat on the couch trying to remain as natural as i could but as the clock ticked nearer to midnight i grew more anxious. i nibbled on my lip, glancing at luke from the corner of my eye. a quiet breath of relief passed my lips to see he hasn't took notice of my strange new demeanor. the blonde's eyes stayed fixated on the tv in front of him while i shifted so my head leaned on his shoulder.

as the time crept nearer, i decided to go set up my first little surprise for luke's birthday. i snuck away telling the boy i was running to the bathroom and to grab a snack.

i hurried to my room, grabbing the bag i hid so luke wouldn't find it. i peaked around the corner of the hallway to make sure he wasn't watching me as i quickly walked into the kitchen. i pulled out a small box with a cupcake inside and the birthday card i had bought for him. it wasn't much but the rest of his gift he would get tomorrow. i quietly placed a single candle inside the cupcake and lit it before calling luke in.

"lu, can you come help me reach the popcorn bowls?" i called in the direction of the living room. i heard the tv pause and the squeaking of the couch as he stood up.

"we really need to get you a step stool huh?" he chuckled as he made his way into the kitchen. his eyes landed on the cupcake and then made there way back to mine.

"what's this?" he asked with a raised eyebrow as he walked over and wrapped his arms around me. i gladly returned the gesture as i wrapped my arms around his torso, placing my chin on his chest as I looked up at him.

"make a wish." i giggled softly and released the boy. he playfully rolled his eyes before he turned towards the cupcake, waiting a second before he blew out the flame.

"happy birthday lucas." my smile grew as the blonde rolled his eyes at me playfully.

"i thought i said no birthday stuff." he pouted.

"oh hush, the luke hemmings i know wouldn't need any excuse to eat a cupcake. i also made sure to get your favorite kind, so eat the damn thing before i do."

"well that's no way to talk to the birthday boy now is it?" he teased before picking up the cupcake.

"oh now you do birthday stuff." i giggled watching as the blonde's eyes crinkled with his smile. he quickly used his finger to scoop up some frosting and brought it to his lips to taste.

"you know what laila? this is good thank you." he smiled at me but i didn't miss the mischievous look on his face. "you should try some."

before i even had time to react, luke used his finger to swipe some of the frosting onto my face. i gasped and glared playfully at the boy. "you are so annoying!"

"am i?" he asked, his eyes following me across the kitchen as i went to grab some paper towel to wipe the frosting off.

"very." i mumbled, quickly feeling a hand grip my wrist. i stopped and turned to luke, who was now much closer than before. my eyes stayed frozen to his sparkling blue ones as his grip on my wrist loosened and he brought it to my waist instead.

we stood in the middle of the kitchen, staring at each other as if time was frozen and nothing else mattered. "you got a little something..." the blonde whispered. i wrapped my small hand around his arm to steady myself as he leaned down closer to me. his eyes flickered to my lips before he leaned even closer.

right as his lips were about to touch mine, i quickly swiped some frosting from the cupcake in his hand and brushed it on his cheek. "what was that?" he groaned looking at me with wide eyes as i stood giggling in front of him. he raised a playful eyebrow before eyeing the cupcake in his hands.

"oh don't you even think about it hemmings.." i say still trying to catch my breath from laughing. "we're even now."

he chuckled and stepped closer to me slowly as if making sure i wouldn't run. i stepped back to get away from the tall boy only to be met with the counter behind me. a mischievous smirk appeared on his face as he closed the space between us and trapped my body between him and the counter. his arm snaked around me as he set the cupcake down on the counter behind me.

"sorry." he whispered with a cheeky smirk on his face. "let me help." he brought his free hand up, wiping the frosting from my chin with his thumb. my eyes stayed glued on his as ran his thumb across my lower lip slowly. i didn't miss the way his eyes flashed to my lips and back to mine again.

"thank for the cupcake." he mumbled but i just shook my head.

"i'll give you your other gift tomorrow yeah?"

he pouted. "laila." luke's voice came out in a playfully warning tone.

i didn't hesitate to lean forward and press my lips gently to his to which he quickly responded by kissing back. i pulled away fairly quickly and smiled up at the tall boy. "i have a feeling you'll like this gift though." i whispered leaning my forehead against his.

he squinted his eyes at me before pecking my nose. "i guess we'll just have to wait and see."

i rolled my eyes at his childishness. "let's go finish the movie you dork."

"can we finish it in my room? wanna cuddle." he hummed moving so his face was buried in my neck as he spoke. i could feel his warm breath in my neck.

"course lu. come on."

{author's note}
here's a cute, short, fluffy chapter because i'm sorry i haven't wrote in forever. if any of you haven't heard l, my boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me (ironic isn't it lol). there's no hard feelings and we're still friends ig but it's just been tough recently so hopefully my writing will become more active soon!
i also wanted to get this up because today's my birthday so here's a fun birthday chapter.
what do you think laila's gift for luke is?
thank you for reading and voting!
(unedited)