thirty three

"you'll be in the meeting with me right?" i asked peter as he read through what i had over my shoulder. once he seemed to have finished he turned his head to look at me.

"yes laila, now will you stop worrying. i know roberts and he'll love this. this is definitely something that is new, but will fit the bands image. plus, i've been working with this band for years, they'll love you."

i tried to allow myself to relax at peter's reassuring words, but my heart was still racing as i stood from my desk with my laptop so we could make our way to roberts' office. peter followed right behind me and rested his hand on my shoulder as i stopped in front of the office door. i took a deep breath and peter stepped around me. "you ready?" when i gave him a nod he opened the door and made his way inside our boss's office.

"hey mr. roberts!" peter cheered causing the older man to look up from own computer.

"pete, how are you?" he asked the boy, engaging in a small conversation. i stood quietly next to peter as they talked before roberts turned to me.

"and miss laila, how are you? i'm excited to see what you've got for me today."  he sent me a friendly smile before gesturing for us to take a seat.

"i'm good sir thank you, i'm pretty excited myself." i let out a small laugh, trying to not let my nerves get the best of me before the meeting even began.

"so pete told me he thinks you have potential here as more than just a secretary, would you agree?" i felt my heart rate pick up a bit and glanced at peter for a second before back at my boss.

"yes sir." i sent him a smile. "it's always been a dream of mine to work for a company like this and when calum told me about the secretary position i took it. i was hoping i would be able to one day work my way up and be able to show off some of my ideas."

"well, let's see what you got then, kid." the friendliness the man was giving off calmed my nerves slightly as he genuinely seemed interested to hear what i had to say. with the help of peter, who walked me through how these meetings usually worked, i introduced what ideas i had for the band's new promo.

really i had been worrying for nothing like everyone had been telling me because roberts did love the idea. we went back and forth awhile tweaking minor details and finalizing a few things, but in the end he told me i could join in the next meeting with the band and present the idea to them myself. if that meeting went well and the boys liked the idea, he said we could discuss possibly giving me a few more projects to work on before completely switching my position. i was grateful however because before i left his office he told me he did see potential in me.

my hands were shaking as we left the office and made our way back over to my desk.

"holy shit!" i whispered yelled to peter. "he actually liked it."

"i've been telling you this." he laughed, rolling his eyes. "i knew you could do it. and the boys will love you too so you have nothing to worry about. give it a few weeks and i'm sure you'll have the promotion. looks like i'll have some competition."

i playfully rolled my eyes at the boy before sitting down at my desk. "don't you have some work to be doing?" i asked with a raised eyebrow. 

peter waved me off with a laugh. "lunch on me to celebrate." i gave him a warm smile and nodded in agreement before getting back to my own work.

trying to maintain appointments the past few days while also trying to work on the new project was a little much, so i needed to go over the appointments i've made to make sure there were no issues. doing this and making calls to verify appointments took me until around lunch. i hadn't even realized the time untik peter approached my desk yet again.