seventeen

it's been two weeks since luke and i kissed and neither one of us has decided to bring it up. at first i was a bit confused as to why he initiated a kiss with me in the first place but the more i thought about it, and due to the fact he's pretending it never happened, i'm assuming he just did it to be nice and prove a point. i had been quite upset recently due to the whole daniel situation and i was starting to overthink a lot. luke did tell me not to think too much about things so maybe he just kissed me to get me to stop thinking. i was trying not to overthink it though considering that's exactly what he told me not to do.

i know i'm being dramatic by not talking to him about the kiss but seeing as he kissed me first i figured i'd leave it up to him to do the talking if he wanted, otherwise i planned on going about my days pretending it never happened. whatever the reason for the kiss didn't really matter because i'm not even ready to jump into something new with someone and besides, luke is just my friend. my main focus in my life right now is my job and working on my own happiness.

thankfully today was saturday and i was able to sleep in for once. i never liked wasting my day by sleeping through it but today was an exception. the way the warmth of my bed seemed to be shielding me away from the cool air conditioning was enough to keep me in bed longer than i probably should be.

just as i was about to force myself out of bed there was a knock at my door. wanting to avoid conversation for a bit longer, i stayed quiet hoping whoever it was would go away. but, once again a gentle knock came before i heard the twisting of the doorknob and quickly pretended to be asleep.

"hey lai, you up?" i couldn't help but notice how gentle luke's voice was as he walked further inside the room and eventually sat beside me. he brought a hand up to brush the hair from my face.

"bub it's almost 11." he whispered again and rubbed my arm in attempt to wake me. although i wanted to enjoy the coziness of my bed for a little while longer, i figured luke wasn't going to give up too easily. i hummed softly and brought my hand up to rub my eyes before opening them. instantly i was met with luke's bright blue orbs that almost seemed to get brighter the second they met mine. a large smile crossed his face and he chuckled gently.

"good morning sleepy head, are you feeling okay?" i nodded my head and turned so my face was buried in his thigh.

"just enjoying my day off." i mumbled as my pushed myself into a sitting position beside him.

"awe i'm sorry i woke you then, i just wanted to see if you wanted to come with me on a run. i thought you'd be awake by now." he chuckled awkwardly and brought his hand up to scratch the back of his neck.

i just shrug in response as i placed my feet down on the floor and push myself off the bed. i did enjoy running seeing as it helped me clear my mind and i haven't had much time to do it lately. "i'll come with you, just give me some time to get ready."

the blonde nodded his head yet remained seated on the bed as i walked over to my closet, grabbing clothes to change into to. i chuckled gently and raised an eyebrow at the boy who just gave me a confused look.

"what?"

"i need to change."

"right... uh sorry. i'll meet you in the uh out there." he once again chuckled awkwardly as he headed out the door of my room.

i quickly changed into some leggings and a sports bra before walking into the bathroom to freshen up. once i was somewhat satisfied with my appearance, i grabbed a hoodie and went to meet luke who was sat on the kitchen counter, scrolling through his phone.

"you know hemmings, last i checked, and feel free to tell me if i'm mistaken," i began with a soft laugh. "but that counter your ass is on is meant for food."

"this juicy ass is a whole meal." luke replied as he jumped down of the counter, giving me a look like i should've known that already.

deciding to ignore his comment and just shake my head, i turned toward the door. "race you to bailey's!" i quickly shouted as i ran out the door and down the stairs.

"loser buys breakfast!" i called again, making the mistake of looking behind me, seeing that luke was already right behind me.

a evil laugh escaped his lips as he ran past me with ease. bailey's coffee shop, which happened to be our favorite coffee shop while we were in college, was only about fifteen minutes away if you were running and seeing as i had yet to eat today, i was determined to win. although, by the looks of luke's long legs easily carrying him across the pavement, i think i'll be the one buying coffee this morning. i didn't give up however as i kept my pace, only a few strides behind luke as we ran.

as suspected, luke beat me to the small coffee shop, cheering supportively for me as i arrived a few seconds behind him. "that was impressive walter's. your little legs kept up with daddy long legs himself."

i let out an obnoxious snort at the nickname he gave to himself as i tried to catch my breath. "i should make you buy breakfast for that one." i chuckled and looked up at the tall boy in front of me taking in his appearance. a few beads of sweat dripped down the side of his face and his curls sat wildly on his head.

"you really thought i'd let you pay for me? how cute." he chuckled, lifting the hem of his shirt to wipe the sweat from his forehead.

keeping my eyes locked on his face, i raised an eyebrow. "but luke.." i whined with a pout on my lips. "a deals a deal."

"nope. come on lai, you know me better than that." he sent me a smile as he made his way into the shop before i had a chance to argue anymore. i quickly followed behind him as he made his way to line.

"you know i'd never make you pay for me." he chuckles as he hands the lady his card after we ordered.

i rolled my eyes playfully. "thank you lucas."

"anything for you sweetheart."

{author's note}
this isn't my favorite chapter but, i wanted to get you guys something.
i've been busy since college started and i'm trying to find time to write.
i hope this isn't too bad!
let me know what you think.
(unedited)