chapter 29 Mission to the Land of Birds

Почніть із самого початку

Right now these thoughts are interrupting the mission.

"Hey Neji do you know why Masato's quiet?" Lee asked seriously. He was genuinely curious and as bad as I felt for lying it wasnt my story to tell. As I didn't understand it myself either.

"I do not Lee." I said closing my eyes in a heavy sigh.

"He's been acting weird ever since we left the village. Didnt he want to come?" Tenten asked frowning looking off in the direction he left.

"I believe he might have to pass the time.  Either way leave him alone you two. Asking him will only get in the way of our mission." I said sternly as I watched him come into view.

He inconspicuously let out a small genuine smile. I nodded back before the others saw.

"Here I'll start a fire for us." Masato said walking over to the empty space next to me. I helped him set up the wood he has gathered for the fire.

Once the fire was lit we all sat around comfortably. The old man we were escorting had fallen asleep.

I chuckled lightly. He seemed peaceful for sleeping outdoors.

"Whats so funny?" Masato asked softly catching the others attention. I opened my eyes and looked towards him before glancing back at the old man.

"He seems peaceful. Unaware of the dangers that lurk out here." I said looking onwards.

"Thats probably because he doesn't have any enemies." Lee asnwered smiling towards him.

"Yeah. I hope he doesn't that way this mission will go by fast." Tenten smiled.

"Lets hope. For now let's eat then sleep." I said looking towards the fire. I had finished my meal and laid down. We had to get up early tomorrow.

The others ate and talked about mindless things before they put out the fire to lay down.

I was up a few hours after they had gone to bed. I didn't feel like sleeping. I had too much on my mind.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I heard Masato's voice call up to me softly. I was sitting on a branch looking outwards.

I said nothing just smiled and glanced down at him before looking back to the sky.

"Join me." I said softly. I didnt want to wake the others. He chuckled lightly before hoping up next to me.

"You wanted me?" He asked. His mood was lightened. Why? I had no idea.

"I want your opinion on something." I said softly. If the others were awake and listening I didn't want them to hear.

"On what?" He asked sitting down next to me.

"I want to know what you think of Michigo." I whispered looking up at the stars. I had already surveyed the surrounding area and there were no enemy ninja. So we were safe for the time being.

He sighed heavily and I could feel his mood drop immensely. I gently laid a hand on his shoulder to try and lift his mood. I didnt look at him, though I could feel his stare burning into the side of my head.

"Do you think she's an enemy?" I asked frowning. I couldnt get the glare she gave me out of my head. Her eyes said everything. She hated me. I hadnt done anything wrong. It was just a misunderstanding.

"Did she really betray the village for my sake or was she never apart of the leaf village?" I whispered closing my eyes thinking outloud. By now my hand left him.

"I honestly don't know. You'd have to ask her yourself." He answered back honestly. I nodded in response. I had nothing else to say on the matter. Although I know I wasnt supposed to ponder anything that wasnt apart of the mission, I couldn't help but ask.

"I don't think this would be a hindrance to the mission considering there's no enemy ninja so there's no harm in asking." I whispered slowly. Taking in a deep breath I closed my eyes and pondered on how to ask him. I could feel his confusion and curiosity. "Why did you kiss me?"

Little did we know a certain pair of ninja were laying awake listening to our conversation. As naive as I was I didn't even to bother checking on them.

I glanced over to him to see him run a hand through his hair sighing heavily.

"Guess there's no way around it is there?" He said softly no making eye contact with me. I stayed quiet as response. "I wanted to see what it felt like."

"What?" I asked frowning in confusion. I was called a genius yet I couldn't understand this.

"I know you have feelings for Michigo." He said seriously. He was avoiding my eyes. And I had a vague idea why. "But I didn't know I had feelings for you until I saw you lying there. You almost died a second time. Except this time Michigo and Rintaru could've prevented that if they had just stepped in."

"Oh. Well then I'm sorry I had struck you." I apologized sincerely. He glanced over to me and smiled.

"No its alright. You waking up is enough for me. As long as your alive I'm ok." He said looking away quickly. He probably looked away in hopes of me not seeing the stray tear that streamed down his face. But in vain.

I gently turned his head my way and wiped away the tear making him blush at the sudden contact.

I chuckled as I placed my hand back into my lap. Even though I laughed on the outside, my heart was hurting. Hurting for him. How could one be satisfied loving someone from afar?

"Lets get some sleep. It should be Lee's turn to take watch." I said hoping down before he could get a read on my own emotions.

I composed myself before I headed back to wake Lee. After he took his watch I laid down and fell asleep. Not before hearing his words once more. As long as you're alive I'm ok.