-Surprise!-

(C)

I slowly walk along the sidewalk, which was still unfamiliar to me.

It's been a week since my mom and I moved here. It wasn't such a different feel, we moved only one town over. Mom said she always wanted a house in this town. Dad was saving up so they can buy a nice retirement home here.

It was really close to the beach, had nice people (so far), and overall, had a happy aura. I had to go along with it, although I missed our old house greatly.

But most importantly, it was far away from Dad. Mom said to put the past behind us, and move on. Dad wouldn't want us to mourn over his death.

But those are her words. Not mine.

I mean, it's not that I hate this place. It just doesn't feel like home yet. I don't think anywhere could feel like home.

I saw the door, to our new house, and opened the door with my keys. I walked in quietly, and shut the door behind me. "Chan, is that you?" Calls out my mom from the kitchen. "Yeah, I just got home!" I say back.

I put down my bag and go to the kitchen, where I see my mom in her nurse scrubs, boiling noodles. She kisses my cheek.

"How was your first day sweetie?" Asks Mom. I lean on the counter. That guy, Felix entered my mind again. "It was okay. Nothing much happened." I said. "Oh, alright. Made any new friends?" She asks. I pause. "No."

"Well, try to talk to some new people tomorrow. You can ask people to come over too." She says. "I don't think i'm gonna bring anyone over." I say.

"Just in case. You never know." She says, chuckling. Mom looks at the clock. "Chan, do you mind finishing dinner? I need to get to the hospital before i'm late." She says. "Oh, it's alright, I got it." I said.

"I'll try to be home before 10, okay? Love you." She says, kissing my cheek again. "Love you too, Mom. Good luck." I say.

She smiles and runs off to put on her shoes and get her bag. "Chan there's a package out here for you! I'll leave it by the door!" Calls out Mom, before I hear her close the door.

"A package?" I say out loud to myself. I didn't see anything on the porch when I first went into the house. I quickly mixed the sauce with the noodles, and walked to the front door. I don't remember ordering anything...

I saw a small cardboard box scattered with colorful stickers. The top was sealed with glitter tape, with a little folded purple card attached. I walk to the living room, and sit on the floor. I unfold the card, and read what was inside.
——————————-
Hey Chan! :)

It's Felix. You might remember me from earlier today. I felt bad about lunch time so I made you a gift, so hopefully you forgive me. I worked hard on it during class! Andddd I may or may not have followed you home to leave the box.

Love, Felix <3

——————————-

I sigh. "This guy is crazy." I thought to myself. I found some scissors lying around, and opened the box.

Inside was a smaller cardboard box, with some loose confetti lying around. I opened the small box, and inside was.....a bracelet? Well, it sure was a very well made one. It almost look like it was bought from a store, but some obvious flaws gave away that it wasn't.

I smiled as I admired the handiwork. It had two shades of blue with a white, made into a chevron pattern. It reminded me of the sea.

I certainly did like it. Then I realized.....Felix made this. He worked hard on it, for me. I slid it on, and tightened it, making it fit perfectly around my wrist.

I stretched my arm out smiling, and admiring it once more. I was almost concerned about how much I liked it. "Wow." I whispered. I cleaned up the bits of confetti that was on the floor and threw away the box.

I felt a sudden rush of guilt as I looked at the bracelet again. "If anything, i'm the one who should be apologizing." I said quietly.

I grabbed my phone and wallet and walked out the door. "Felix seems like an outgoing person, so maybe i'll find him walking around." I thought to myself. Even if I didn't, it's good to get out the house.

I decided to go down to the plaza beside the beach. There was usually a good amount of people wandering around, maybe a couple of them know Felix.

After thirty minutes of searching, I gave up. "Well, i'll see him in school tomorrow." I thought to myself. I checked my watch. It was too early to go home, so I might as well just sit on a bench at the beach for a while.

My flip flops kicked up warm sand as I walked to an empty bench. I sit down and watch the horizon. The sky was becoming darker. I kept staring ahead of me, as if some huge monster was about to come out of the water, and destroy all of humanity, which thankfully didn't happen.

"Chan, is that you?" Calls out a voice behind me. I perk up, and turn around, and see a familiar freckled face that had a lollipop in his mouth, a couple of feet behind me.

Felix runs up, and plops down beside me. "Whatcha doing out here? I thought you were the type of person who never leaves their house." Says Felix.

"I actually came here to look for you." I said. "Really?" Asks Felix, surprised. I nod.

"I'm sorry."

—————————