Chapter 21-Raven Hills

Charley's POV

Aiden wasn't playing when he said we'd only be at that location for a little while. I was escorted into the mansion and shown one of the living rooms it was just Mia and Me in the room she still had that don't bother her look but I mean it was only us in the room...Why not poke the bear?

"Sooo...What's wrong? You've been so unlike yourself since we left the "base" I said base with air quotations that whole place seemed too surreal.

She opened her mouth to talk, but quickly closed it

Since she didnt respond I decided to push a little harder. 
"Is it about Richard?" before we left she .was talking to him for quite some time. 
She didn't respond, but her eyes gave way to the truth...I was skilled in these awkward situations with my bestie. I knew she didn't want to talk right now soI had two options one I could joke around with her until she opens up or I can change the subject...I chose to change subjects I wasn't in a joking mood either

"Mia, do you know where we're at? This doesn't seem like a normal area"

"I'm not exactly sure myself, but I was brought here the day before we left to South Africa and it was a lot going on like today and I didn't have the nerve to ask"

That was unlike Mia ..Mia was inquisitive always has been that's why she was a reporter, something is off and it's not just today my mind went back to the dark days back at the "Base" she hasn't been herself, and Im just now noticing it...Another failure to add to my list of screwups failing as a best friend, but I can't wallow in it today we are close to finding Mason.

"This whole community is a safe house " Niamo appeared out of nowhere..and interrupting my -self pityingly. She was now seated on the opposite side of the couch that held me and Mia.
Her pop up caused me to visibly jump my nerves we're not ready for her
"Oh my God...Please! Please don't do that...I have old lady nerves "I said as I laid my hand on my heart to calm the nerves

Her face didn't change, but her eyes light up in humor...The past few days I spent with her I got a read on her. She was for sure crazy and a hardened killer, but she had a wicked sense of humor and she for some odd reason found me funny and her face and tongue clicking would make you think I was annoying her, but her eyes were her true feelings. She loved popping up and scaring me and I'm still not used to it...But she was smart enough not to pop up too close because I was, unfortunately, the jump and hit type of person when frightened. Even though she was skilled enough to deflect my attack. I was still happy she didn't pop up in my personal space.

"What do you mean safe house? "I said after my heart calmed down

"-tck" she made her signature noise and ran a tired hand over her face "Exactly what it sounds like a house ..that is secure I.e safe," she said in an annoyed tone

"Hardy -Har-Har...I know that, but you said whole community..elaborate"

She did another tongue click"All the houses you saw are houses for Aiden's employees, not all of them of course, but this is one place in America we can come to and have some normality.. "

"So this whole place is a town filled with killers?" Mia asked finally intrigued with the conversation

" Tch- Yeah I guess if you want to be brash about it"

Before we could ask more questions an unnamed man came and called for Naomi

"This is crazy!"

"Very.."She added vaguely and ran a tired hand over her face 

"What's really going on Mia?"I couldn't help myself I had to bring the conversation back up. she has been quiet for way too long for comfort.I have known her for almost 20 years and she has not ever been this quiet not even in movies