Chapter 26-Caged Bird

Raven's POV
(I'm writing it this way so I  can tell more  of the story without confusing you guys)

As I stared at Charley, I felt at ease; she reminds me so much of Mason that I felt secure, plus she kept me from looking at this big monstrous man that wanted to kill me 3 mins ago.

I sighed thank god for therapy; for the first time, I can finally articulate my pain instead of lashing out, plus the fear of being tortured eased the truth from me

"I was a child born out of an affair. My father is Taylor Hills" Charley was confused, but as I glanced over at Mr.Price, understanding graced his face
"My father is a powerful businessman not on par with Mr.Price, but they run in the same circles."
Mr.Price spoke, " I have met him a few times ..very unsavory man."
I smiled sadly. "Yes, That's putting it nicely; my father is a WASP, a white elite, and he was raised with "traditional" values."
I let that sink in. I couldn't outright say my father was a sexist, racist asshole without sounding like a spoiled brat which I was.

"He was engaged before he was even born; that's why he married my stepmother Geneva Hills. She is from a very influential Russian family, and their marriage brokered an international business deal."
I took a nice tea sip

"So imagine my father's family surprise when he showed  up with a black daughter?" I chuckled sadly
"My father took me in when I was only a month old, and he claimed me as his adopted child" I shook my head in disgust. "He would never admit that he fell in love with my mother Lucile Bowmount; she was his cook. I know the cliche, but my father claims sub-coming to his lust was his downfall. My mother was a young black woman from a friendly middle-class family and a love for cooking; sadly, she was young and fell victim to his charm, ignoring the age gap of 20 years I was conceived. Even after this love affair, he still held his outdated views. He was too ashamed to acknowledge me fully. So I was legally adopted. He used me as a token everyone knew The Hills views on minorities, and I was the golden goose. I was their token black adopted daughter. It's hard to believe the most people believed him. I do favor him sadly."

Mr.Price looked unmoved, more like indifferent, while Charley gave my hand a slight squeeze. She understood the weight of being a black woman, and I felt her Sympathy

I took another breath and continued

"My biological father never once showed me any fatherly love. He viewed me as his deepest sin, personified he wasn't hateful, just withholding. He was the complete opposite of his wife. Growing up, Geneva was my ray of light in that cold house. She embraced me as her daughter" I smiled bitterly at the memory. "At that time, I was so eager to please them. I did everything according to their rules. It was a strict upbringing. I wasn't allowed to be myself; I was a bird in a beautiful cage. I had restrictions on everything, even my hair!" The past anger bubbled up

"I attended Hillcrest Academy."

"Ohh, that's the school Mason attended with a full-ride."
Charley added excitedly

"Right, I met your brother during our first year of high school, being the chairman's adoptive daughter. I was a part of the welcoming committee. So I was assigned to your brother he was the outcast of the school charity case that was my thoughts when I met him, but the dislike of the lower class I was raised to disapprove of based on that fact. Your brother was different. My preconceived notions went out the window when I met him"

The fond memory caused me to smile. My mind went to that first day Mason was Tall, Thin; even though his face looked worn, he was handsome. His strong chiseled face, Carmel complexion, and a mop of thick curls. I thought he was cute, but I was ashamed of liking him.