2 (chapter 4)

"Again? You mean the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?" Hermione asks. I am stirring the potion.

"Of course. Don't you see? Lucius Malfoy must have opened it when he was at school here. Now he's taught Draco how to do it" Ron says leaning on the wall.

"Maybe. We'll have to wait for the Polyjuice Potion to know for sure" I say.

"Enlighten me. Why are we brewing this potion in broad daylight...in the middle of the girls' lavatory? Don't you think we'll get caught?" Ron asks.

"No. No one ever comes in here" I say.

"Why?" Harry asks.

"Moaning Myrtle" Hermione answers as I add the next ingredient.

"Who?" They both ask.

"Moaning Myrtle" She repeats as Moaning Myrtle comes into view.

"Who's Moaning Myrtle?" Ron asks. I raise my eyebrows.

"I'm Moaning Myrtle. I wouldn't expect you to know me. Who would ever talk about ugly, miserable...moping Moaning Myrtle?" She shouts and then goes into the water.

"She's a little sensitive," Hermione says. I stir again and put it back away.

"It should be finished soon, we better go to Lockhart's class" I say, pulling them out of the room. We meet them in the small hall and there's a long walkway set up. Students gather around and chat.

"Gather round! Gather round. Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks...Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this Dueling Club...to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works. Let me introduce my assistant Professor Snape. He has sportingly agreed to help with a short demonstration. I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear. One. Two. Three!" He says as him and Snape line up.

"Expelliarmus!" Snape says and Lockheart goes flying back. I laugh.

"Do you think he's all right?" Hermione asks.

"Who cares?" Ron says. He stands up and brushes himself off.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape..but if you don't mind me saying, it was obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy" He says. I roll my eyes and scoff.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students...to block unfriendly spells, professor" Snape says. Lockheart nods.

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair" He says clapping his hands together. "Potter, Weasley, how about you?"

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Might I suggest someone from my own house? Malfoy, perhaps?" Snape says. I sigh and look at Harry.

"Now I'm jealous," I say. He smiles at me and then gets up on the podium.

"Good luck, Potter," Lockheart says, walking past him.

"Thank you, sir" Harry says and then walks closer to Malfoy.

"Wands at the ready" Lockheart says.

"Scared, Potter?" Malfoy asks.

"You wish" He says and then they walk away. They wait in their positions.

"On the count of three... ...cast your charms to disarm your opponent. Only to disarm. We don't want any accidents here. One. Two" Lockheart says.

"Everte Statum!" Malfoy throws a spell at Harry and he goes flying.

"Ouch" I say. Harry gets up angrily and throws another.

"Rictusempra!" He says. Draco lands in front of Snape. Then gets up and points his wand again.

"I said disarm only" Lockheart reminds.

"Serpensortia!" Draco casts and a snake comes onto the ground. I jump back slightly.

"Don't move, Potter. I'll get rid of it for you" Snape says walking forward.

"Allow me, Professor Snape. Alarte Ascendare!" Lockheart says and he flips the snake in the air. Suddenly it goes for a Hufflepuff senior. Harry begins talking in a different language. Snape looks confused and then steps forward.

"Vipera Evanesca" He says, making the snake turn to ash.

"What are you playing at?" The boy shouts at Harry. He runs off and I go to follow.

"Harry! Wait up" I shout as Malfoy grabs my arm.

"Looks like you and brother dearest aren't as close as you thought" He says. I pull my arm out of his grasp and Ron and Hermione join me.

"Leave her alone Malfoy" Ron says. We push past him and I find Harry.

"You're a Parselmouth? Why didn't you tell us?" Ron asks.

"I'm a what?" He says confused.

"You can talk to snakes," Hermione says. He shrugs.

"I know. I accidentally set a python on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once. Once. But so what? I bet loads of people here can do it" He says.

"No, they can't. It's not a very common gift, Harry. This is bad" Hermione tells him. I sigh.

"What's bad? If I hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin..." Harry says.

"That's what you said to it" I say rolling my eyes.

"You were there. You heard me" He says.

"We heard you speaking Parseltongue. Snake language" Ron says. He looks back at us in shock.

"I spoke a different language? But I didn't realize... How can I speak a language without knowing I can?" He asks. Hermione and I share a look.

"I don't know, but it sounded like you were egging the snake on or something" Ron says.

"Harry, listen to me. There's a reason the symbol of Slytherin house is a serpent. Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth. He could talk to snakes too" Hermione tells him.

"Exactly. Now the whole school's gonna think you're his great-great-great grandson" Ron says waving his arms about.

"But I'm not. I can't be" Harry says.

"He lived a thousand years ago. For all we know, you could be" Hermione says. The three of them turn to look at me.

"You can't speak it too can you?" Ron asks.

"No not that I'm aware of" I say. Harry sighs and looks away from us sadly.

"Come on, we need to get to study period" Hermione says and we follow her to the great hall. Hermione and I sit opposite Harry and Ron. I'm in the middle of my charms homework when Draco slides next to me. I roll my eyes and he just continues his work.

"I'll see you back in the common room" Harry says walking away. I sigh and just give Hermione a smile. When we've finished our work we go check on the potion.