1 (chapter 1)

"Mom!" I scream waking up drenched in sweat. I feel a pair of hands comforting me and turn to see my brother.

"Are you okay?" He asks, pushing his glasses up his nose. I take a deep breath and nod. He turns the light on in the small cupboard and pulls me into his chest. "They've been getting more frequent"

"I know, I'm sorry for waking you again" I whisper. I get back in my makeshift bed as Aunt Petunia knocks on the door. I sigh as Harry rolls his eyes at me. We get up and I throw on a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt.

"Wake up, cousins! We're going to the zoo!" Dudley shouts jumping on the stairs causing dust to fall ok Harry and I. Just as Harry gets up to leave, Dudley shoves him back in. I help him up and glare at Dudley as we enter the kitchen. I couldn't care less about the spoilt brats birthday.

"Oh, here he comes, the birthday boy!" Aunt Petunia squeals. I walk in before Harry and see Uncle Vernon reading the newspaper, smiling at his son.

"Happy birthday, son" He says, giving him a stretched smile. Petunia and Dudley giggle together.

"Y/n, Why don't you just cook the breakfast, and try not to burn anything. Harry, clean the kitchen" She says walking Dudley out of the kitchen. I share a look with Harry but he shakes his head at me.

"Yes, Aunt Petunia" Harry and I say. I start to flip the bacon and eggs before deciding they are ready and placing them on the plate.

"I want everything to be perfect for my Dudley's special day" She says. I give her a forced smile.

"Hurry up! Bring my coffee!" Uncle Vernon shouts.

"Yes, Uncle Vernon" I say, trying to ignore my sarcastic tone. Petunia leads Dudley over to the family room, where there are a vast amount of presents. Dudley stares at the pile suspiciously.

"How many are there?" He demands as I bring over the plates to the table. Harry helps me by bring the coffee and orange juice.

"Thirty-six. Counted 'em myself" Vernon says, looking smug.

"Thirty-six?! But last year last year I got thirty-seven!" Dudley shouts. I grit my teeth to stop myself saying something to him. That normally lands me in trouble.

"Yes, well, some of them are quite a bit bigger than last year!" Vernon tries. I go back to the kitchen to help Harry clear up.

"I don't care how big they are!" Dudley shouts, stamping his foot.

"Oh, now, now, now. This is what we're going to do, is that when we go out we're going to buy you two new presents! How's that, Pumpkin?" Petunia tries. She smiles at him and puts her hands on his shoulders. Harry and I have our normal bowl of cereal, then are told to look presentable. We walk out of the house behind the family. Harry goes to get in the but is stopped by Vernon. He turns to both of us.

"I'm warning you now, you two. Any funny business, any at all, and you won't have any meals for a week. Get in" He says shoving Harry in the car. I get in after him and he slams the door. We arrive at the Zoo after a little while. Harry and I trailing behind the family most of the time. We stop at the reptile house. I'm staring at a few of the lizards when Harry and the others walk over to the snake park. They are staring at a large Boa Constrictor but Dudley looks bored.

"Make it move" Dudley demands. I watch as Vernon taps on the glass of the cage.

"Move!" He says. The snake just stays still lying on the rock. Dudley taps the glass much harder and impatiently. I walk to stand next to Harry.

"MOVE!" Dudley shouts.

"He's asleep!" Harry snaps back at him. Dudley just yawns and walks away.

"He's boring" Dudley says to his parents as they walk to another enclosure. Harry is leaning on the railing looking at the snake.

"Sorry about him. He doesn't understand what it's like, lying there day after day, having people press their ugly faces in on you" Harry says to the snake.

"Tell me about it" I say sarcastically and watch Dudley complaining to his parents. The snake looks up and blinks at us. I stand up straight in shock. Harry and I both share a confused look.

"Can you...hear me?" Harry asks, he looks even more shocked as the snake nods. "It's just...I've never talked to a snake before. Do you...I mean...do you talk to people often?" The snake shakes its head and then turns to look at me.

"You're from Burma, aren't you? Was it nice there, do you miss your family?" I ask. The snake turns its head in the direction of the information sigh. I read it says, Bred in Captivity. "I see. That's like us as well. We never knew our parents, either" I hear a gasp behind us and feet running over. The snake has once again attracted Dudley's attention. He runs over to the cage, knocking Harry to the floor. I glare at him and kneel down to help my brother but his attention is on Dudley.

"Mummy, daddy, come here! You won't believe what this snake is doing!" He shouts. Dudley puts his hands on the glass wall. I shake my head as the snake hisses slightly. Suddenly, the glass disappears. Dudley falls forward into the water. He is thrashing about and screaming until the snake looks at him. He goes deadly silent. The snake slides out of the exhibit and looks at Harry and I.

"Anytime" Harry says in a state of shock. The snake slithers away to the exit. I turn to him confused.

"SNAKE!" A man shouts. There is a lot of screaming as the snake heads for the door. Harry and I share a smile as we look at Dudley. He stands up to get out of the enclosure but the glass has come back. He begins pounding on it and shouting for his parents. Vernon and Petunia run over to us. Petunia looks distressed.

"My darling boy! How did you get in there?!" She squeals trying to get the attention of one of the workers. I look at Harry as he stifles a laugh and I smirk at him. I look back up as Vernon glares down at us both and our grins disappear. Petunia continues screaming. They get Dudley out and we hurry back home in silence. Both Harry and I are preparing ourselves for the lecture about to come. As Petunia and Dudley rush into the house, Vernon slams the door behind Harry and I. He grabs my wrist and Harry's hair, then pushes us against the stairs.

"What happened?" He demands looking at us both.

"I swear I don't know! One minute the glass was there and then it was gone!" Harry says.

"It was like magic!" I try but he just glares at us and scoffs. He shoves us both in the cupboard, I land on my bed and Harry lands in between.

"There's no such thing as magic!" He says spitefully and then closes the hatch. I sigh and turn on my small light.

"You believe me then?" Harry asks quietly. I nod and smile at him. I find my book that I managed to sneak from Petunia's room when I was younger and start reading. Harry plays with his little figures for a while as I doodle in my diary. Faintly I can still hear Dudley whining to his parents.

"I think he deserved it" I mutter and Harry laughs at me.

"The look on their faces was worth it" He says and leans back against the wall. His bed is made up on the left side of the door by our makeshift shelves and mine is on the right, gets cramped sometimes but at least we have each other to keep us sane.