That's the way it is (Arthur x female reader)

Summary, Arthur has tuberculosis and you know that he doesn't have long left and you couldn't prepare yourself no matter how hard you tried.

You knew that Arthur was sick and to be honest you was scared and worried about him, as you sat on the bed of the shared tent you put your head down and quietly sobbed.

Arthur had just finished chopping the wood for the campfire and made his way to your shared tent. As Arthur got closer he heard you sobbing to yourself, he slightly put his head down and opened the canvas of the tent.

"Darlin' are you ok?" Arthur asked as sat next to you.

"Arthur, I've heard you coughing and I know you're ill and it's scaring me" You admitted and looked at him.

Arthur let out a little sigh and put his head down for a little while, when he finally thought everything through he put his head back up and looked at you.

"Listen, we both know the gang is slowly falling apart. So when you have to leave I want you to go and to not look back" Arthur said and placed a hand on your's.

You looked at him with glossy eyes and shook your head whilst looking down.

"I can't, I'm not going to leave you Arthur" You said and sniffed.

"You're gonna have to darlin', it's best for you" Arthur told you.

"I don't care what's best for me" You said and put your head up to look at him.

Arthur let out a sigh but then chuckled, you slightly smiled at him but lost it when he started to cough. You placed one hand on his back while you put the other on in your pocket to grab the tissue you kept, you wiped the blood from Arthur's mouth and gently rubbed his back.

"You are so stubborn at sometimes" Arthur said between coughs.

"I'm stubborn, clearly you haven't heard yourself at sometimes" Yoh said and shook you head.

You and Arthur remained in your shared tent for the rest of the day, you two just talking about what came into your mind. Soon you found yourself talking about the people you lost on the way.

"Sean had a loud mouth and a big head but I miss him and his jokes, Kieran was sweet even though he ran with the O'driscolls before you got him. Hosea was like a dad I wished I had at the start and Lenny was like a little brother to me" You said and wiped a few tears away that had escaped.

Arthur wiped your tears away with his thumb and sadly smiled at you before pulling you into a hug and running a hand through your hair. Soon your breathing slowed and Arthur looked down to see that you had fallen asleep against his chest.

Arthur smiled at the sight of you before laying you down and putting the blanket over you, Arthur then took his hat off and placed it at the foot of the bed before heading outside to talk to Dutch about letting John and his family go.

The next day

You woke up and saw that Arthur wasn't in bed, you looked around the tent and saw his hat at the foot of your bed. You smiled before picking it up and putting it on your head before walking out the tent.

When you got outside you looked around and saw mostly everyone was gone, as you was looking around you saw Susan rushing around to pack things up.

"Moring, Mrs Grimshaw" You said and walked over to her.

"Oh Y/N, you are awake dear. Arthur told me to tell you to leave while him and the other's are out, he even told me not to take no for a answer" Susan told you and gave you a sad smile.