A Night of Neglect

"All right, we need $5,000 to pay for our trip to nationals in New York." Mr. Schue announced as soon as he entered the choir room.

"What happened to the money that we got from the Cheerios?" Quinn asked.

"I guess Sue was hiding it in offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands and we're having some trouble accessing some of it." Mr. Schue responded, to which Emily rolled her eyes at. "Any of it."

Well, that made more sense.

"This is saltwater taffy." The teacher continued his rant as he turned from the students and toward the piano where a few boxes sat, filled to the brim with small packages of candy like the ones he was holding up to show everyone.

"I love saltwater." Brittany whispered, as Emily shook her head with a fond smile.

"When I was a student here, we paid for our entire trip to nationals selling this classroom to classroom, door to door." Mr. Schue said, as he threw a few of the taffies around. Brittany raised her arms in the air as she tried to get the teacher to throw her some. "We pushed this stuff like crack. And so will we. So to make $5,000 at 25 cents apiece we need to sell 20,000 pieces of taffy."

"Wait. Do you honestly think that we can sell 20,000 anythings?" Santana asked. "We won regionals for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the planet and I still got a freakin' cherry ICEE facial."

"Yeah, Santana's right. Nobody cares about us." Quinn agreed.

"I can't listen to this." Mike rolled his eyes as he got up from his chair.

"Mike, are you okay?" Mr. Schue frowned, stopping the young man from leaving.

"No." He shook his head, as Emily looked down at her lap, already knowing what was coming next. "You guys complain all the time about being mistreated but you have no idea what it's like to work your butt off for something and have everyone, even your friends, ignore you."

"I'm so trying to remember his name right now." Lauren whispered over at Puck, causing Emily to scoff as she got up to move closer to her Decathlon team as they reunited in front of the piano.

"Artie, Emily, Tina, Brittany and I are on the Brainiacs." Mike continued once everyone was gathered around him.

"Isn't that the Academic Decathlon team?" Rachel asked, as Finn frowned.

"We have one of those?" He asked, his mouth full of candy.

"Yes, we do." Artie sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. "And the five of us went on the Smarty Pants Show and beat Carmel High to go to the Academic Decathlon finals in Detroit next week."

"Wait, you guys were on TV?" Sam asked. "Why didn't you tell us about it?"

"We did." Emily glared at him, pushing herself to sit up on the piano as Sam coughed awkwardly.

Sorry, he mouthed over at her, as she simply rolled her eyes.

"Wait. I-I get the four of you being on the team." Mr Schue said, pointing at everyone but Brittany.

"Is it because two of them are Asian and two of them wear glasses?" Puck asked, as Emily widened her eyes at him. "Yes, four eyes, I know your secret."

Emily scoffed, playfully rolling her eyes at Puck. How he knew she wore glasses, she wasn't sure, considering she only wore them at home, opting for lenses at school due to the constant bouncing around she did in the Cheerios, but that didn't really matter in that moment, so she just decided to let it go.

"No." Mr. Schue finally answered Puck's question. "But Brittany?"

"Liz Schneider was our fifth, but she got rubella." Mike explained.