Duets

"All right, let's, uh, let's gather around." Mr. Schue said as he walked into the choir room, causing everyone to take a seat. "Sorry I'm late, guys. I was with Principal Figgins. Bad news, guys. Puckerman's in juvie."

"It really was just a matter of time." Tina said.

"What did he do?" Emily frowned, half surprised and half outraged.

"He drove his mom's Volvo through the front of a convenience store and drove off with the ATM." Mr. Schue said, as Brittany and Santana snickered a bit.

"And when is he getting out?" Rachel asked.

"Unknown."

"He might be the dumbest person on this planet, and that's coming from me." Brittany spoke up.

"Guys! Let's have some sympathy." Mr. Schue told them, sternly.

"For a guy who puts his needs before the team's?" Finn scoffed. "We need his voice and his bad-boy stage presence."

"We can't look at this as a crisis." Mr. Schue said. "It's an opportunity."

"For what?" Quinn asked, rolling her eyes a bit. "Further embarrassment and humiliation?"

"For welcoming our new member... Sam Evans!"

At the mention of the name, Emily perked up in her chair, a smile forming on her lips as she watched Sam jogging up to Mr. Schue as he stood beside him. His eyes scanned the class and when his eyes found Emily's, he smiled at her. Behind her, Mercedes raised an eyebrow, shaking her head when she noticed Kurt beside straightening up in the seat as well, as if the smile was aimed at him.

"Hey, everybody. I'm Sam. Sam, I am." He smiled at them after shaking hands with Mr. Schue. "And I don't like green eggs and ham."

There was a moment of silence as Emily giggled quietly under her breath and Santana scoffed.

"Oh, wow. He has no game." She said.

"Okay! This is gonna be great." Finn said, as he stood up to go to Sam to shake his hand. "You're not going to regret joining, Sam."

"Oh, good." He smiled.

"Sam, you sit right here." Finn told him, pointing at the seat in front of Emily as he smiled a bit at her again before sitting down.

"All right! Question for the group." Mr. Schue said, as he walked up to the white board. "What's a duet?"

"A blanket." Brittany answered, as Emily smiled fondly at her.

"A duet is when two voices join to become one." Mr. Schue continued, ignoring Brittany's input. "Great duets are like a great marriage. The singers complement each other, push each other to be better. Now, some people may think..."

Emily stopped paying attention to the teacher when Kurt whispered her name, leaning forward to talk to her. Mercedes leaned in as well to hear what they were talking about.

"Pssst! He's on team gay." He told her and Mercedes.

"You think?" Emily asked, as Kurt nodded, matter-of-factly.

"No straight boy dyes his hair to look like Linda Evangelista circa 1993." He said, as Emily frowned, unsure of what any of that meant.

Mercedes scoffed, seemingly having a better understanding on the matter as she leaned back down on her chair.

"You're crazy, circa 2010." She shook her head, as Kurt gave Emily a wink as the girl sighed, leaning against her knees as she decided that paying attention to Mr. Schue was better than whatever crazy conversation that was.