Trinity :- Chapter 4 :- The Essence of Destiny

Start from the beginning

And he knows mine.

And as he advances forth, I plant a prewritten message just beneath his driver seat for him to find later.

Tuomas awakens to the choking stench of burning fuel. And the ghostly image of his father standing just beyond the dented bonnet.

"G'day son."

But he is still nauseous and his vision, it swirls and ebbs.

"Don't worry, I'll get you out!" Karelyn shouts as she tugs at the twisted metal that was once the driver side door. Suddenly she realises she cannot save him. The door is well and truly jammed.

Her heart pumps at a relentless pace, and the baby within her senses the fear.

The conflagaration is growing, issuing dark smoke with ever increasing viciousness.

Tuomas is beginning to reel from sensory overload as he starts to recognise the precariousness of his situation.

He is noticing the blood on him.

Now he realises his brother in the passenger's seat is dead.

I can see him silently mouth a plea to God. But an anthropomorphic representation designed for human spiritual salvation has nothing to do with this, for even God plays second fiddle to Fate.

Mark Rossteau is trying to calm his son, but to no effect. All Tuomas can think of is why.

"Don't worry son." The entity of Mark Rossteau is attempting an explanation. "Thierry is with me. He is alright now."

Tuomas can hear his father's voice coming from within him, and he struggles to comprehend. But slowly he begins to recognise other sounds. The crackle of flames. Karelyn trying desperately to open the door to free him from being entombed. And as he glances down he finds his feet coccooned in distorted metal.

"Dad?" Tuomas gazes at the ghost that resembles a photo of his father, taken only weeks before his death. "Dad? Is that you?"

Karelyn is wondering now whether or not Tuomas has lost his mind due to the crash. But infact he is beginning to understand.

"Dad?"

The ghost smiles at Tuomas and without moving it's lips speaks. "Yes, it's me. Don't worry. You'll be alright."

Tuomas notices his fathers eyes gaze past the car wreck, and as he turns to see what it is he hears Karelyn's voice speaking to another person.

"Hurry! The fire is......."

Now Karelyn screams as she is roughly grabbed by Travis and horribly flung across the road like a rag doll by an enraged spoilt child.

She is unconscious. Her baby, an unborn second son, is dead.

Travis has ripped away the twisted door, snapped the seatbelt that confined Tuomas as though it were string, and is currently reaching down to pull apart the jagged peices that encase his legs.

And now he calmly walks back, Tuomas as light as a sack of wool on his shoulders, the flailing and bloodied arms of The GhostTalker reaching out in vain for his brother's carcass that roasts and sizzles in the flames.

Within my presence Travis is becalmed and with minimal fuss tosses Tuomas in the back of the car.

Travis can possess the most booming and authorative baritone voice in the world when he wishes it to be so. In using that voice now, sprinkled with expletives as he deems necessary, Tuomas shrinks away, fearful of provoking the ire of an obviously supernatural being.

Travis takes the drivers seat once more and as we drive past the wreck I can hear the shotgun shells inside it cooking off. Eventually the vehicle explodes, ending another mission, a mere fourteen minutes after the death of Richard Gamblin.

The entity that is the father of Tuomas is on the backseat now with him. What Tuomas sees is a spirit that resembles his father, Mark Rossteau, as he was when he was the exact same age as his son.

Of course, it is not a real ghost, merely a reflection of a unique subconscious mind. For all the "ghosts" that Tuomas will see, will all be his exact age. They will behave in a manner akin to how those people acted when they were his age.

At first he will only see his ancestors. His father, grandfather, and great grandfather. But as his powers progress, he will be able to see the ancestral spirits of other people.

And yet even now, the spirit of Mark Rossteau is perplexed at his own existence, and how he seems to know who we are, and what we must do. He is in awe of me, wondering at what force of nature made him suddenly come to be. Slowly it is dawning on him. The answer lies in me.

If I am to fulfill my destiny, and the fate of this specific universe, it is necessary for me now to utilise such a skill, to lay the foundations for the future that is prophecised.

His father is presently trying to bring resolution to his son, and tell him that we are not here to harm. Indeed, we are here to make him the best he can be.

But Tuomas is in terrible pain. Not physical, but emotional. And just as guilt secured Richard Gamblin's death back at the fuel station, guilt at bringing about his brothers death will seal his fate. He had seen the lights of Mark Buchanan's vehicle head straight for him, and in a split second reaction that preserved his own life, he had drifted far enough across the road so that his brother in the passengers seat took the brunt of the collision.

For the essence of Destiny is emotion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would really love all criticisms about this chapter be said so I can truly make this story shine. Is it too complex? Is it understandable? Is Shadow a mary sue character? Grammar and punctuation as well, is it all befitting a character that is omniscient? This is a very complex story, and I want the reader to wonder what is the truth and what is the lies in what she says here. Did it work?