Chapter Four: The Transfiguration Tutor

Start from the beginning

"McGonagall said my parents are worried about my standing in the class." He continued. "She told me I should find someone to tutor me."

Gwen was surprised.

"I would ask someone in Slytherin, but they're all a bunch of fucking dunces."

She didn't know how to respond.

"I can't ask a Ravenclaw, they're too...you know."

Gwen just stared.

"Well can you help me, or not?" Draco snapped.

Gwen nodded.

"I'll meet you back here Tuesday at 7pm." Draco started for the door. He quickly shot his head back at Gwen. "And don't tell anyone, Thatcher." He slammed the door behind him.

Oh my god. Gwen had just realized what she had agreed to. She really thought their meeting would be a lot worse, but she didn't expect to have to meet him again.

Gwen slowly made her way back into the party. She felt dizzy. Never in her life did she think she would agree to help Malfoy. He had been so mean to her, and yet in that moment she knew that he truly needed her help. She walked into the middle of the dance floor to find Hannah.

"Can we go now?" Gwen begged Hannah.

"Yeah," Hannah looked concerned. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah...of course, j-just tired is all." Gwen smiled. Hannah was skeptical, but knew better than to question her judgement.

"We should tell Cedric we're leaving so he doesn't go looking for you." Hannah suggested.

Gwen scanned the room for Cedric. He was still talking to Cho. Gwen and Hannah walked up to the two of them.

"We are gonna go back to the dorms now." Gwen said quickly. Cedric was caught off guard.

"D-do you want me to come with?" Cedric asked.

"No, no don't let us stop your fun." Gwen winked.

"Alright, well, I'll see you later."

Gwen and Hannah headed out of the room into the empty hallways. The began walking quickly as to avoid Filch.

"You are sure you're okay?" Hannah questioned.

"Yes," Gwen knew Hannah wasn't going to believe her, but she couldn't break Malfoy's trust even she wasn't sure he deserved it. "I promise."

Gwen and Hannah remained pretty quiet on the walk back to their room. Gwen hoped she had just been dreaming. It seemed so out of character for Malfoy to ask for help. Finally Hannah spoke again.

"Where did you go after you left the dance floor?"

"Bathroom." Gwen lied. She felt a slight twinge in her chest. Why was she lying for him.

"Oh."

"Did Neville get his toad back?"

"I think so, but he was pretty upset. I think he left to put Trevor away."

When the two of them got back to their dorm Gwen took a long hot shower. She wished she could shake the nerves and breathlessness she felt from her body. She got dressed in the comfiest pajamas she had, and laid down in her bed. She stared at the ceiling for what felt like hours. She could hear her roommates faint snores.

Maybe Malfoy wasn't that bad. Gwen thought. Maybe I'm just being optimistic. Maybe it would mean I would stop getting teased so frequently.