Chapter 37

The world was moving at a slow pace, almost peaceful as I was slightly jolted back and forth. Hard wooden beams were pressed into my spine, so I sat up straighter to find myself in a horse drawn cart with Gabi and Falco next to me. Across sat Annie and Reiner who were still asleep with each one of their breathes even.

Wispy shreds of light broke the horizon of the flat plains of Paradis Island, peaking over a band of fluffy clouds. A single bird flew overhead as it kept up the cart as we continued onwards. A strange scent of grass wafted through the air once a breeze picked up, blowing strands of my hair into my face.

Someone tapped my elbow and I caught a glimpse of Falco's large hazel eyes, a child innocence still burned in them. My heart twitched knowing the burden he wore; the jaw titan powers from Porco Gillard.

On a dirt film coated the floor of the cart I drew a simple flower to occupy someone's mind. Smiling brightly, Falco etched an outline of a bird midflight and elbowed me as to say continue. I added a little top hat to the feathery creature, then glanced back at the kid. With a confused look on his face he add stick legs that were pointed at odd angles.

Gabi observed us the whole time and crawled so that she could face both Falco and I. Elegantly, she drew a circle with lines jutting off of it and added some puffy clouds. Inside the lines of Gabi's sun I detailed it with another smiley face, gaining a giggle from her.

Hardly opening his eyes, Reiner gazed at me and studied me curiously as if I am some sort of alien. To his credit I was, I was foreign and a possible threat that was beaten to a pulp.

Without hesitation Gabi sat in front of me and began braiding her long brown hair, but she struggled to pull the strands of hair to the proper places. Glancing at Falco who was watching, I plucked up the beginning strands of hair and weaved her glossy hair together. I could almost see inky curls as I braided away, before when Mia dyed her beautiful locks to lavender. Faintly I heard the low chuckle that always came from her whenever I said something incoherently stupid. My chest grew heavier, I continued to dwell in it. 

Once done Gabi studied the braid and gave me an approving nod, then she scooted towards Annie who was now awake. With gentle nudges Gabi herded Annie in front of me with her back to me and I knew she was frowning. Annie's pale blond hair caught the sun in away that made it look like a lion's main.

Awkwardly, I braided Annie's hair with a few strands hanging loosely since her hair was layered. She moved slightly each time I placed a piece of hair and each rock we hit on the makeshift road. As we continued along the road Annie returned to her place by Reiner and the kids chatted among themselves, leaving me to my own thoughts.

The pain of Lolos' death was still fresh, it stung with each breathe. Nothing could make me stop replaying the scene of Manon decapitating him. Agony and fatigue was amplified with the new world that I wandered in with so many questions to ask. My mind swirled around the possibilities of why was I here, is this some sick joke because we all know this world is a shit show from start to end. Quietly, I curled up, tucking my knees to my chest, and placed my head down, then I fell into a light slumber.

---

Someone shook me awake once the cart stopped moving, the world was without chaos for a brief moment. Looking up I saw Gabi who wore a grim expression and signaled for me to follow. Slowly I struggled to stand, then felt the wood come into contact with my head. New pain shot through my bruised arms until someone lifted me by the collar of my shirt, and led me to the ground. Everyone present who wasn't injured or a child stood too tall for them to help me walk, instead Mikasa picked me up.

Mikasa's muscles flexed with each step, reminding me how powerful she is in combat. That thought sent shivers down my spine. Once we reached a small clearing surrounded by tall tree and edged a cliff I was set down by Yelena and Levi. Both examined me closely and the difference with Yelena was that she did not show an ounce of aggression. However, Levi looked like he was ready to rip my throat out at any moment. His steely grey eyes bore into me with a dead look on his face as he watched me settle down.

As I shifted back on the ground a woman with long messy black hair sat my me with a crutch propped up on her shoulder. Her dark eyes met mine when she held out her hand as an introduction and I took her hand slowly. 

"Pieck?" I inquired as I cocked my head.

She nodded hesitantly and straightened my cloak as if I were a child. Then, she pulled herself up on her crutch and held out her hand to me. I took her calloused hand while being guided to a rock to sit on with her as she support my weight. The rough surface of the pepper colored rock dug into my legs while I adjusted to see Gabi, Falco, Jean, Levi, and Yelena being brought to us.

As Yelena sat herself on the ground next to me she handed me my pocket watch hesitantly. Instantly I scrounged around in my pocket to find only dirt and gravel. The brass metal glinted in the sun, giving off streaks of white. With shaky hands I reached out for it, but Yelena snatched it back to examine it more closely. Her dark eyes lit up once she opened it to find the hands still ticking around and around.

In a matter of moments Pieck was beckoned back over to the non-wounded soldiers and conversed with them on their next move. The two little rascals who joined me clamored onto the huge rock and spoke to each other leaving Jean, Levi, Yelena, and I alone.

The rest of my strength left once I lifted myself off the rock and onto the dirt where I began to draw a world map. Dirt clung to my fingernail when I wrapped up the drawing with all of them watching. 

Glancing up to Jean I pointed to a smaller continent and said, "Australia."

Hesitantly I taught them about the rest of the countries and finished where I guessed where Marley was at. Gabi towered over me with her shadow casting down on the map and corrected me.

Levi who settled down closer to me reached out and pointed at an island. "Paradis Island?"

I nodded vigorously till Jean whistled to get out attention. He barked out orders that I did not understand and ushered me to follow them. Jean attempted to help me limp over to the tall grasses, but gave up after a few steps since he towered over me and picked me up.

From his height I could see tall pine covering the top of a hill that overlooked a cliff. Small animals roamed the trees and plains, nonetheless they scurried away when we reached the top. Far below I saw large ships in the endless blue ocean the stretch for as long as the eye can see. Giant, rectangular buildings lined the shore with hints of life everywhere, even with military weapons were being set up.

Behind us Connie drove the horse carriage full of supplies that had my weapons tied to the bottom and left it up there with us. The brown horse stared at us with dead eyes and neighed once Connie go off. Wood creaked under his weight and he mounted another horse that was not attached to anything else.

Jean set me in the warm grass next to Gabi and Falco who sat next to each other, shaking ever so slightly. A gun rested on Jean's leg with his finger on the trigger and he watched the port. Levi was seated next to him and from no where Yelena nestled next to me. She flinched in pain when her arm in a cast hit mine.

A last glance at Hange, Mikasa, Connie, Armin, and the Marleyans made my heart twinge a bit with sadness as they galloped down to the port where they would fight to their deaths. Off in the distance a train could be heard approaching from far away.