Chapter 9

The boat narrowly sailed through the canals that were surround by houses that interconnected the whole town. Children ran through the pathways that lined the waterways barefoot, a pack of pugs roamed the place in search of food. Oddly, there were pins of pigs that gave the town the smell of dirt and filth. Along the horizon line the sky was turning into a pale red and orange gradient that was etched onto the sky in the far off lands.

Bard and I finally made it to a fairly large house that had water lapping towards the edges of it after tying up the boat along with other tiny canoes. Old wood was rotting away that made up the walls of the house with small window overlooking the waters. Three heads poked out into view of the window and quickly vanished as we made it up to the door.

"I am home!" Bard bellowed as he pulled open the door and three kids rushed to greet him.

A tall, thin girl was the first to hug him with a little girl who had long brown hair meeting her shoulders, and a boy with big brown eyes followed order. They all grasped on as if they never wanted to let go again, warmth filled my chest. I took a step into their house to see a table over in a corner by a fireplace with a family portrait hanging over it. On the other side was a long dining table with plenty of chairs that were different types; some were thick woods and others were finely crafted with ornate details. The dining room lead to a small kitchen that connected to to the main living area. The family unit was now out of view while I examined the rooms.

"Dad! Why are there dwarves coming out if the toilet?!" yelped with surprise the little boy with a slight accent.

A line of sopping wet dwarves filed up a two step staircase into the main living area where I was loitering in.

The first dwarf with a bowl cut with a short beard that was light brown with salt and pepper colors speckled entered first and yawped, "Why are you here?"

Damp and dripping wet dwarves swarmed the living room with children staring with wonder by their father. A few of them bumped into me as as act of dominance, they left imprints on my cloak. They smelled slightly of fish and algae as they found spots to sit in. I ambled over to Bard and aided him gathering any blankets and pieces of clothes. Over on the other side two the dwarves who were brothers began a fire. I helped to ration out tattered blankets that were coated in patches to the dwarves.

As I passed out the blankets Bard inquired while handing a cloth to Bilbo, "I thought you were visiting family."

"I lied," I admitted and wrapped a dwarf in a deep blue blanket, "I was trying to get away from the woodland elves and figure out what to do from there. I am not from around here and I needed help. I thank you for it."

Bard nodded and did not question further as he went to help his children with some cleaning and cooking. Just as I began to sauntered off the dwarf with bowl cut tugged on my cloak and asked, "Where are you from?"

"The outskirts of Rohan," I curtly said as I turned around.

"I am from the northern Blue Mountains. My name is Ori and I am the scribe of Thorin's Company," Ori grasped for as I took a step forward but I did a 180 to face him.

"Writing and drawing are entertaining to do. Personally, I enjoy writing short stories and keeping a journal," I opened up to him.

"I have kept a journal of the journey so far," Ori mentioned as he pulled out a leather bound, damaged notebook wrapped in a cloth that kept it dry, "I wrote some short stories too..."

I stopped Ori as he flipped through his journal to a drawing of the Misty Mountains, "That is simply beautiful."

"What are you doing?" grumbled a baritone voice from behind me.

I responded without looking, "I am talking about these drawings. I wish I could do that."

A firm grasp pulled me around and faced me directly in the eyes of Thorin, "Why are you here? You have been following us to Laketown!"

"I am not visiting family but I am looking for them," I aggressively took hold of his shirt, "I do not have any intentions of following you."

Thorin threw himself out of my grasp and hit the back on my knee. I buckled and was at eye level with him, "Then what do you want?"

"Nothing," I breathed closely into his face while trembling with frustration.

Ori stood up and pulled me away from the confrontation as Balin went over to Thorin. It looked as if Balin was calming down Thorin.

"What are you doing?" Ori questioned as I strolled away from the little swarm of dwarves.

I answered, "Trying not to skin him alive."

I went into the kitchen and helped with the meal. The scent of meats and spices filled my nostril as picked up a knife to help the girls, Sigrid and Tilda. Fading sunlight entered the one, square window that overlooked the vast mountain range and tall houses that surrounded Bard's home. I thought about how I could understand Thorin and came to the conclusion that he was an arrogant prick, but he valued his comrades while we cooked dinner in silence. 

I exited the kitchen with a platter of potatoes and Balin suggested to me, "I have a proposition for you. Would you accompany us to the Misty Mountains?"

"Thorin is the leader, right? So, why are you asking me?" I asked with little patience.

Balin replied gruffly, "I noticed that you were able to escape from the Mirkwood elves on your own and that is no easy feat. It is highly protected stronghold with hundreds of elves. Plus, there were rumors floating around of a female human taking out the head of guards."

I glanced down at him with some appreciation, however doubt grew in me about Thorin, "I do not apologize for losing my temper, nonetheless thank you for the offer. I do believe that I will accompany you"

I glance over to see all of the dwarves lined the table and settled down into the chairs. We joyfully ate the food that was given to us by Bard and his family. In the chaos of the meal I finally felt a little unity in this world, I smiled down at my plate as I chowed down on the various meats and savored the gamy flavor.

The Company sang foreign songs and toasted their metal cups that had rust on the outside. I maybe joined into a song or two.

I glanced over with a change of heart to Thorin who was to the left of me and confirmed, "I will join you."

He nodded down at his food and cheered with his comrades.