Chapter 2

A sudden pain shot through my spine as I struggled to sit up with stars that clouded my field of vision. Thick branches obscured my view with little ants scurrying across, sweet scent of wild flowers filled my nostrils with delight as I remembered the simplicity of my life before the accident.

"Young one, are you alright? It looks like you took a rough fall into that bush," a gruff voice said with hints of concern.

I twisted over my shoulder to see an old man with a long, white beard with gray cloaks draped on top of him. Locks of my curls fell into my field of vision with the struggle of standing erect.

"Yes," I managed to say. 

Something in my mind told me something was off because it all seemed too familiar. My instincts told me to run so I swiftly stood up and dashed away as soon when lowered himself to sit down. His wrinkles that were marked his narrow face with time contorted into a confused expression. With sudden realization I as I ran I recognized him as Gandalf the Gray, the wizard from Lord of the Rings!

 Along the narrow path moss had began to cover it from neglect and time, rocks littered the walkway. In the far off distance I could hear quaint songs of melody birds that sang in harmonious layers.

After running from what seemed like ages I stumbled upon a camp by coincidence. The aching pain in my chest caught up to me when the adrenaline rush stopped. The sound of me collapsing by a campfire pit stopped the bird's chatters as I scanned the area for something suspicious. I found a dapple horse tied to a tree and a pouch full of something, nothing was dangerous.

I gasped trying to get deeper breaths as I heard light steps from my right, "In my defense you are not real."

"What do you mean by that?" he asked with a look of surprise emphasizing some of his wrinkles.

I reached over and pulled his beard, his whiskers tickled my skin. In response to that I was smacked on the leg with his over sized staff.

"Okay you are real... That means hobbits and dwarves are real too?" I asked.

Gandalf replied,"Of course they're real. They are as real as you and I."

"By the way how did I get here?"

"I found you on the side of the elven road. I made a camp and waited for you to wake up so I can ask you the same question."

"I have no idea," I responded with my patients growing smaller.

"But I did find this note in in my pocket," said Gandalf as he handed me a letter that was written on faded parchment paper that reeked of rotting leave in fall.

It read:
Your task begins to save your lover and dearest friend. First you must find a silver item in the Mirkwoods. There will be a letter waiting for you there.
Best of wishes,
Akihito

I was shaking from the fear of losing my lover and friend, the person who was closest to my heart gone in one fateful day.

I asked shakily, "By any chance did you read this?"

The old wizard instructed,"No I did not but you should get some rest. By the looks of the injuries on your head you might need some sleep"

As he mentioned that I became aware of a wet sensation on my forehead. I smeared blood across my forearm as I rubbed it against my forehead with the pain throbbing stronger than before as I touched a clean cut.

"By the way my name is Ymir," I yawned as I propped my head on my hand that rested on my knee.

The old wizard replied "I am Gandalf the Gray. Where are you from, Ymir?"

"You know from there to here, from over hill and under trees. A place far away." I said as I closed my eyes and laid back onto the damp earth.

Gandalf mentioned  as reached over to wrap a cloth around my head to stop the bleeding, "You look like you are from the outside world of Middle Earth. It is rare to see a women wear trousers."

"You could say that... I am going to rest now if you do not mind." I stated as adjusted the bandage. The quiet sounds of the forest and the faint scent of oak trees swirled around.