Chapter 28

A warmth was wrapped around as I stirred awake; I lifted my head slowly in a blank room. There was nothing except for a small round window and a cot across from it. I heard only my steady breathes and rolled out of the cot to wobble back into it. The blanket on my shoulders rubbed against my skin gently, early light reflected against the light coloring. A creaking sound woke me up fully and Nesyrn appeared.

Her dark eyes narrowed. "What happened when you opened the box?!"

"That is a long story," I admitted while trying to sit up straight.

She threw me against the wall and firmly pinned my shoulders. An icy rage was dancing in her eyes, her breathing was rapid.

"Tell me now or else," Nesyrn snarled with her an inch from my face.

I shoved her back with my feet. "Do not touch me!"

As she hesitated for a moment out of surprise or anger, then I flung open the door and sprinted down a well-lit hallway. The cold air seeped under my clothing, thankfully it was my old pair. Fear quickly turned into impatience as I searched for a way out, however whenever I looked down a hall it was dead end.

The humming of flames met my ears when I opened a shorter door than the rest that had a silver knocker at the end of the long corridor. Inside the quaint, quiet room was a broad window that overlooked the shambles of neighboring buildings. On the other side was a set of barrels that smelled of unfamiliar spices and herbs. I struggled to lift up the first barrel and dropped it creating a small cloud of dust and a loud thud.

Without noticing someone entering the room, a voice called out, "Wait please, Ymir."

I turned to see Lolos standing in the room with his hand held out to calm me. By this point I was shaking from a weakness that I have never felt before and collapsed on the ground.

He set a pair of onyx dual swords, an elegant elvish blade by my feet, and my watch and grinned, "You might need these."

"What about Chaol?" I gasped while strapping the weapons on.

He explained quickly while extending a hand, "He is plenty busy and I have always had a longing for an adventure."

I grasped Lolos' callused hand and shakily stood up with a hint of a smile. He easily lifted up the large barrel and tossed through the window like a bag of feathers. Wood splintered creating a raging sound that caught some people's attention on the roads.

We hopped though the window carefully avoiding shards of glass, the air was refreshing once outside. I looked up to view fluffy clouding following a slight gale, sounds of people chattering surrounded us, and a musty scent swept along the air. A winding stone path filled with our hushed steps as we scurried to somewhere, Lolos was leading the way.

"Do you know where we are going?" I asked as I attempted to keep up with his long strides.

He glanced down at me over his shoulder, "We need to leave Rifthold since Chaol mentioned that it is possible that you are a spy for the king of Ardalan."

I pried, "Do you think so?"

"No, but I think you are not telling the whole truth," Lolos confessed while keeping a steady pace through narrowing paths, "however, I believe you mean no harm and want to help us."

"Were they going to harm me?" I questioned innocently.

Lolos gazed ahead with a grim look. "Yes, once they began interrogating you."

I bobbed my head and swallowed loudly. I did not ask any more questions about the rebellion and their plans for me.

Lolos took a sharp right at some point and headed towards a section of road bustling with people. The sounds of deals and trading was what gave the place life, vendors lined the street haggling with the locals and some travelers. Large canopies of reds, browns, and oranges extended to tall posts that held shops below them.

"We should be leaving and not buying," I advised with annoyance flecked in my tone.

He waves his hand without concern, "We need some help first. There are not many villages very close to the capital."

I huffily followed him through the maze of people to stand at the end of the street full of food, tools, and bags. It was a shop made for us perfectly.

"Look! It is my cute little nephew," cooed an elderly man who stood a head taller than Lolos.

He walked over and hugged him tightly, light reflected off of the man's gray hair.

The man commented as I caught his attention, "Who is this little darling?"

"Oh, this is my friend Ymir," Lolos introduced bashfully.

I smiled while leaning against the stand out of tiredness. "Pleasure to meet you, sir. What is you name?"

"I am Dedas, Lolos' uncle," the man replied gently, "What can I do you for?"

"Ummm. We might need a place to stay tonight since it is growing late. The streets are not safe when it is dark," Lolos hesitantly asked.

I shot a burning glare at Lolos and thought he was out of his mind. If we stay, we can get caught, and that only spells disaster.

Dedas offered happily, "I would love to have you over except for only a night. A few of yout cousins are visiting for the week from Bellhaven."

My eyes narrowed at Lolos, however he inquired, "Is mother still in Rifthold?"

I held my tongue and softened my facial feature. My heart twinged a bit and I only felt a longing for my family.

"Oh, yes she is and she would be overjoyed to see you." Dedas explained enthusiastically, "Your sister with her daughter should be there too. Drop by around six then we will have supper."

"Thank you, Uncle," said Lolos while shaking Dedas' hand.

I bowed my head and caught to Lolos. "How many family members do you have?"

"A few. My mother, an older sister, niece, uncle, and two cousins from Bellhaven," described Lolos thoughtfully, "My father passed when I was born so my uncle helped my mom."

"What are their names? If you do not mind me asking," I commented next to him as we walked away from the crowds.

It became significantly quieter and Lolos listed, "My mother is named Keme, my sister's name is Lailni, Lailni's daughter is called Cido, one of cousins is called Tadras, and the other one is named Urel."

"Is Tadras a female," I questioned bluntly.

Lolos' face twitched into a smile and he chuckled brightly, "No. Tadras is a man."

We continued till the towering shops became apartments and houses. A deep blue hue stretched across the sky fading into brilliant oranges and reds. Soon we came upon a one story house that had a grassy plot of land up front filled with colorful roses and tulips. Light was glowing out the open windows that welcomed the fair weather, chattering could be heard from the road. A large, red door welcomed us while we walked up a short dirt path.

"Home sweet home," declared Lolos as he walked up to the front door and knocked.