Chapter 12

Untimely beams of sunlight bounced off of the grand windows that were on each wall of the room, snores from children resonated with each breath. Specks of dust reflected in the light and left shadows on the now muddy floor. There were no dwarves to be seen in the main room of Bard's house except for their hats and cloaks that were left in the hurry for the celebration of their promise to Lake-town. It was a night to remember because various drinks and stories were shared, but I refrained from participating in the mayhem due to a lack of interest and amity among us. I meandered over to the quaint kitchen with crumbs coating the counter, in the bucket was all of the dishes in the household.

"Ouch!" a voice yelped in the other room, luckily all of Bard's family was in their respective rooms.

My eyes caught a relatively tall dwarf who held onto his calf in pain as I peered around the corner. His long black locks covered his dark and watchful eyes. I crept from around the corner and his eyes widen with surprise as I approached.

I frowned, "Is your leg infected?"

"None of your business, Mia?" groaned the dwarf as he doubled over in pain, "I do not know your name for sure."

"It is Mia, your name is Kili and your brother is Fili, the blond one?" I questioned as I caught his arm when he tumbled on his own feet.

Kili nodded as I helped him to settle on a chair that was worn and torn from years of abuse with some hesitation. Colorful patches were sewn on just to keep the cushions in one piece with bits of fluff sticking out. Surprisingly, there was not a strong fish scent on it as it seemed everything in Lake-town smelled like aquatic species.

"Can I take a look?" I requested as sat down on the cold floor by Kili's leg.

He nodded gently again with a face scrunched in agony. I gently removed the bandages and saw a deep gash that was from an orc arrow. Ink black was expanding across his leg through the veins and arteries, proving that the poison was spreading. 

I reported, "It appears whatever gave you this injury was poisonous and it is spreading. Probably morgul bow or something related to it"

"I know." replied Kili, "It hurts like a sharp bite."

In the kitchen there was a supply of bandages kept in a shelving unit by the one window that I found while cleaning. Dust outlined the framing of the doors, there was a surplus of cloth kept in there so I grabbed one and re-wrapped Kili's leg. He grunted painfully when I stiffly adjusted his leg with each movement.

"I do not think you should not be walking on your leg," I advised as I finished it off with a square knot.

Kili retorted, "Well I have no choice. We need to keep going until we reach Erebor!"

"I understand," I snapped, "but you need to take care of yourself."

Kili's appeared hurt briefly and nagged, "You should take care of yourself too. I am more than capable of looking after myself, ask Fili."

"Sure, keep telling yourself that and it might come true."

Suddenly, Balin barged in a flurry, his beard was coated in food crumbs, "Kili, Thorin needs you now. We will be leaving to Erebor within the hour."

"Lets go then," said Kili while he adjusted his pants leg.

I helped Kili get down from the seat and left with the two dwarves as we made our way down to the  docks. More people than seen before wandered around the canals and the walkways. There were mothers with their children and men strolling around with pugs begging for food. All of the businesses were shut down for the day, so nothing was being produced. Every person made their ways to the docks with no breeze that day. The sun beat down relentlessly, the birds were oddly quiet.

"Let us go!" roared a mighty Thorin who stood on the bow of the canoe that held ten dwarves plus a hobbit.

I watched from the crowd as Kili approached the boat and Thorin held out his hand to stop him. Thorin gazed into Kili's eyes with a paternal, protective glaze while speaking to him. I could not hear what he muttered but I knew what it was, we all do. Then Fili abandoned the boat and took his brother's side while wrapping his arm around him. 

"I will look after them," I promised when I made my way through the cluster of people to the dwarves.

Thorin chided, "You are the last person who should look after my family."

"Yet I am the only who is capable of treating their injuries, making sure they are fed, and keeping them safe," I defended testily.

"So you are finally taking on the roles of a women." snarled Thorin, "You should be left to clean and cook. Fili can protect Kili."

I stubbornly retaliated with a bit of embellishment, "I easily took down three eleven guards in the Mirkwoods without out any weapons."

Thorin shook his head realizing there is no point in arguing and said, "Just make sure they do not die from an orc or starvation."

With that Thorin ambled onto the boat with ease and pushed off leaving me to wonder what his true thoughts were. Bilbo and Gloin waved back at the crowd with Bilbo's hat fluttering in the new wind. Deep waves pounded against the firm frame of the dark brown, wooden boat.  Fili and Kili look up at me with their almond eyes and stared until I walk away with the dispersing crowd.

As we walked back I questioned Oin, "Is it true that you invented ointments? That is a revolutionary invention."

The dwarf glanced up with his white hair speckled with gray strands shifted in the light, "Yes that is true. It took me a few years to create and it still needs some work."

"How so?"

His braided beard was caught in his belt and while he adjusted it, he answered, "There are some herbs that I need to test out such as Athelas or maybe even Niphredil if I can find any."

"Do you not like me?" I inquired out of the blue when my mind began to wander.

"Thorin was brash in his judgement. I assume that you were only trying to help; nonetheless, it was ridiculous to do."

"I thought so," I replied as I stepped over a some fish bones.

Bofur piped in, "It really was. You could have done something more practical."

His large hat lost some of the fur as the breeze picked causing Fili to sneeze. On the walkways the kids were out running around with their colorful wooden toys with parents watching closely.

"That is true," I responded with a irritation etched in my voice; I took quicker steps into pugs by accident.

The little guy yelped in surprise as I scratched it's ear. The light fur was coating my sleeves when I pulled away to pet another pug. A stench of fish filled the air from the breaths of the dogs.

"Pick up the pace!" called Oin as the dwarves were walking away save for Fili and Kili who were also petting dogs.

"These dogs are adorable!" exclaimed Fili as he filled one over to give it a belly rub.

All of us continued walking till we got to Bard's house during the mid-morning. Laughter resounded off the wooden houses, the temperature grew warmer as the sun climbed higher. I observed the dwarves as they explored.