Chapter 15

Fluffy, cotton balls hung on the pale blue slate above with flocks of thrush dotting it. Scents of algae and a musty odor conveyed over the boat as it rocked back and forth. Dips of the paddles kept in time with my breathe, each stroke drawing us closer to the Lonely Mountain.

"How should we explain this?" questioned Oin as he indicated towards me with a jab.

I implied, "It will work out in any circumstance."

Oin nodded skeptically and moved on, "We should be there in at least fifteen minutes.".

"I have always dreamed of this moment," Kili excitedly chattered, "since we were children. I have only heard stories about this place from our uncle."

Fili geeked out, "In stories told to us, Erebor is described as grand and full of treasures beyond whatever we can imagine. Uncle would tell us stories of how he would craft broad swords with hundreds of dwarves pounding away on rare metals bejeweled with rubies and sapphires."

"I am excited to find ancient musical instruments forgotten in there," exuberantly commented Kili with his eyes lighting up.

"Yes, that is very- thrilling but we need to figure how to get in," explained Oin as he looked far ahead at the ever growing mountain that had snow coated peaks.

Bofur baited, "Maybe we can create a hole in the roof and enter from there."

"Insightful," sighed Oin while leaning back slightly onto the scratched rim.

---

Gray and black rocks groaned as the boat docked itself on the land, flocks of little birds flapped away in fright. There were sparse trees, eroded boulders, shrubs, and tiny blue flowers littered the landscape with thin clouds casting down shadows. Fili was the first to exit the boats with his legs barely reaching the ground, then the rest followed suit. As I hit the muddy ground I dipped my hand in the murky water and wiped off my boots.

"Oin, you are a strange person but not as much as Mia," blurted out Bofur as he glanced around the surrounding area.

I keeked at Bofur. "You are the strange little person."

"What makes you say that?" defended Bofur while he adjusted his hat.

I replied, "I do not know, maybe because you steal bread that you did not bake."

The dwarf countered, "Well, you have no reason to be here."

"That is true since I have nothing better to do. Turns out my family is not in or around Lake-town." I fiddled with my knuckles as I told a fib.

"Sure," muttered Bofur when he turned away.

Above various gray clouds came into view with a breeze picking up. A salty aroma blew into the atmosphere and I sneezed.

"We need to hurry," Kili observed as he gazed up the side of the mountain with clouds beginning to gather together.

I leaped up onto the closest knee-height, granite rock and held out my hand to Kili. He took it cautiously; we scrambled up the sides. Bofur darted in front of me and took the lead as his hat flopped more frequently around. Freezing air seeped into the burnt cloak, my boots creaked with each step. Kili and Fili picked up the pace with anticipation as we got closer to the top.

In the distance I heard the songs of raven echoing in the depths of the mountains. The dwarves were shivering, still continuing onwards.

Bofur observed, "I saw some movement up ahead. It looks like a hobbit!"

We dashed up a steep slope of rocks, it was set-up like steps. Ants roamed under each rock that I walked up and some crumbled under my weight. I leerily peered over a boulder and observed. There was the whole company gathered together except for Thorin; Balin was separated and watched someone.

I scaled the side of a hill and approached a cliff away from the group silently with them conversing. My steps were light and exact as I landed on the stone that overlooked hills and not Lake-town. Over on the edge was a dwarf with long black hair with gray roots in a distressed stance.

"Whose there?" growled Thorin when he bolted around, "Oh, it is you!"

"Yup. Glad to see you too, just wanted to see how things are going for you," I admitted as I stalked over to the edge by him.

He grumbled, "You tell me."

Balin and Oin made there way over down a little hill to Thorin with Balin's eye drawing wide. He glanced around and shook his head with disappointment.

"Let me explain-," began Oin as he put up his hands.

Thorin roared, "There is no explanation. You brought this conniving dranka to Erebor!"

Oin's face diminished into sorrow, "I thought it was the right thing to do. Mia did help to save Kili's and everybody's lives last night, even an elf''s.".

"I do not care. She is a proven liar!" the dwarf king snapped.

I justified while my blood boiled, "I did it to protect you and your company! Without that lie you most likely would not be standing here because it helped the lord to understand you."

Thorin hurled back, "Why should I believe you now!"

"I came all of this way to help you!" I shouted and let slip, "I left my only home in search of my family and found nothing so instead I attempted to do something productive. I could have easily gone back to Rohan but here we are and I need to find someone!"

Thorin placed a foot forward and stared into my eyes with a glint on undying anger with him about to say something. My lip curled into a growl and I threw a punch towards his head. He easily deflected it and swept his leg under my feet. Resulting in me falling with a thump and dug my elbow into the back of his knee.

"Stop it! Both of you are acting like children," intervened Balin.

Gloin stood in the middle between us and glared at us. I stood up and stumbled back onto a rock that was nearby.

"Why are you still here, human?" demanded Thorin.

I stated while biting my lip, "I want to help you because I know what it is like to loose everything."

"What do you know about that?" pressed Thorin with his eyes narrowing on me.

I admitted with my voice cracking, "I once had a father and one day he left for a war. He never came back and my mother just broke. A few months later she committed suicide leaving me alone with a brother. Then I lost everything again.".

Thorin said nothing and stood a foot away from me with his arm held out trembling as if he were to hit me. I looked into his sparkling blue eyes and saw a glint of understanding. He took a step back and walked away.

"Thank you," I whispered into the wind.

I sauntered towards the rest of the company while they gazed upon me with confused looks, Balin guided me over to another rock. I sat there and let the tears slide down my cheek and stared at the empty ground.

"We should start going," advised Fili as he looked up at the now stormy sky.

Balin helped me to stand up and guided us to the entrance of Erebor. The old wounds were now opened, before I only felt a dull pain that never went away, but now I feel a wretched misery that flowed through every fiber in my being.

Over the edge of the cliff I saw the smoke of Lake-town spreading out into the twilight, hoards of people were around fires on the shore. In the depths of the lake I could see a faint outline of a dragon that wreaked havoc on the innocent. I took on last glance and entered the ornate entrance to Erebor.