Chapter 14

The room went up in panic and haste as the sky during the night glowed like the day. The fire was red, the flames spread across the leaning shambles of Lake-town, a billow coated the window creating a dark atmosphere in the room. The dwarves eyes broadened in fright when embers came into view glinting against the glass like lightning.

Tauriel busted into the living room with much hurry, "We need to leave now! Get Kili and the children and we need to board a boat."

I nodded and carried Kili out of the room into the night with the rest following my lead while Tauriel caught suspicious glimpses of me. Moon shined silver onto the water and waves that inconsistently hit the boards. People were scrambling for boats or even boards that will keep them afloat, so they can swim to safety.

I placed Kili next to his brother whose face was written with worry, his breaths were swift. Then I lifted Tilda onto the seat in the middle of the boat next to Sigrid and Bain who wrapped their arms around her. I hopped in next to Bard with Bofur making room for himself to the left of me. Tauriel glanced at us with a simple expression of determination and she leaped off the dock with Oin jumping to the boat with more Kingsfoil in his grasp. Paddles were dipped into the water as we crossed the water canals to the entrance; smoke filled our lungs and followed the wind.

Tauriel glared at me from across the boat and got right to the point, "Tell me why I should not tie you up right not. You attacked me at the Mirkwoods."

I retorted, "You need my help. There are children who have no formal training in combat and there are only three dwarves who are able to fight."

Tauriel leaned in with eyes narrowing and I cracked, "I have been in warfare before, so I know how to defend myself and others. Additionally, I can treat about any injury."

"Fine, I will leave you alone for now because we need your help to keep the humans and the dwarves alive," she bared her teeth with her hair shaping like a mane.

Bard's eyes shifted between us with confusion and I explained, "While I escaped the Mirkwoods I knocked out the elf."

He nodded slowly and rested his gaze on his offspring. On some remaining walkways there was gold stacked up high, the lord was busily collecting it on a large boat that had detailing on the rim of rivers. He shouted unheard words to us which I could assume was about gathering the precious metals that gave the lord his status but we kept rowing towards land.

Up above I saw the dragon's red scales glimmer just like the flames that he blew. It was a sight to behold because he was a massive creature larger than any structure I have seen, his stomach smoldered with cracks of light appearing. Smaug's back arched when he flew to a new section to burn.

"We need to hurry up," ordered Tauriel as she noted when the dragon got closer.

A great chunk of wood fell from on of the unrecognizable buildings towards Tauriel. I launched myself from the seat over the children and body slammed into the heated wood. I flinched in pain with the feeling of the hotness infiltrating my every nerve and yelped in agony and fear. The elf caught me and looked into my eyes and maybe even my soul, there was an untimely ache in the depth of her forest green eyes. I could only lay there and hyperventilate.

Sparks of ember emitted in the air as we came across a house caught in flames and there were ashes left of the residents coating the walkways. I shifted my gaze to up ahead and quickened the pace until we made it to the now black gate, it was burned to a crisp.

As we rowed up to shore I jumped into the frigid water and hauled the heavy boat onto the muddy shore. There were people crawling up onto the land with others rushing over to help them stand. Hoards of people mourning for the dead, all shivering in the cold.

Tauriel exited the boat as soon as it hit land and drew her blades. I raised up my hand and pointed behind her right on queue. There was Legolas who was riding up from the distance with his hair flopping from the gallop of the horse.

I held out my hand, "I do apologize for knocking you out. It was wrong for me to do."

Tauriel took my hand and twisted me around while she examined my burns.

"You should pour some of the water onto the burns to cool it off," Tauriel advised and she left as soon as she came.

I stumbled down to the water with Oin by my side. He caught me as I fell into the water and allowed it to cover me. He lifted up the remains of my cloak and clucked his tongue.

"Mia! How are you doing?" asked Kili as he limped over.

"That could have been a blade," comforted Bofur when he held his head most likely from a hangover.

I grimaced, "Or maybe an arrow that would have pierced right through me."

"Let me help you." offered Bofur as he propped me up, "I have had worse injuries. You should be fine."

"Sure, maybe getting bit baby fish is the worst for you."

Bofur's stringy hat bobbed with his head as he nodded with a smirk.

Interrogated Oin with his whiskers tickling my face, "Are you feeling any better?"

I gave him a thumbs up and bent over to hurl. I felt a gently, smooth hand graze my back and I saw Tauriel again.

"I will help you," she announced as she dragged me to the shore with Legolas by her side.

I gave the prince a little wave and squirmed in pain when Tauriel pressed the Kingsfoil from Oin onto my back. Her riddles in an unknown language echoed in now breathless breaking dawn. As she finished she helped me to stand and along the shoreline I saw the dwarves piling into the boat.

"Thank you," I mustered while struggling to gain my balance and turned to Legolas, "and I am sorry for causing the wood-land elves any issues."

Legolas stated, "You should be more afraid of my father."

I chuckled, "I will keep that in mind. I wish you both safe travel but I need to catch up with my group."

"As do we, I wish you well, human." returned Tauriel with Legolas glancing at her with a concerned expression.

I gave Tauriel and Legolas finger guns and stalked away. They both gave me confused looks and went on with their business.

Rocks littered the shore and there were patches of trampled grass. I examined the place for Bard and I saw him depart from the land and go back to Laketown with Bain. I rushed over past the dwarves in a flurry to where a cluster of females and saw Sigrid and Tilda helping overs. I gave them a small smile and sprinted back to the dwarves; ultimately, I hopped in with them and sailed away to the Lonely Mountain.