Chapter 26

The scent of fish became overwhelming as we passed the docks into the slums, it was potent. As I peered out of the coach I saw an abandoned warehouse that was hidden deep in the slums. The carriage suddenly jolted to a stop and we had to exit without questions or answers with Calaena was waiting for us by the curb.

Chaol gave a slight nod as a greeting and Calaena barked, "Hurry up! You better hope you know what you are doing Ymir."

I trailed after the assassin quickly into a large, wooden warehouse that led to a narrow staircase that we went up. Inside was a main area, a kitchen, dining room, and two bedrooms that had one door slightly open. The first room was lined with colossal bookshelves on both sides filled to the brim with finely crafted novels in every possible color that met at a fire place. Before a flickering flames was a one person chair next to a comfy looking sofa; it had blankets stacked on top on the back of it. Overall it was lavishly decorated fit for a queen of Terrasen since green and silver was placed throughout the apartment in minor details. 

Calaena wore a blank mask as she led me into one of the bedrooms that had a man large enough to the make the bed bend in the middle, his limbs nearly hung off the edge. It reeked of body odor but thankfully not infection. I cracked the square window open, leaving the drapes to shadow the room.

"So are you going to help him?" demanded Calaena as she pointed towards the large man in the bed, "He has been injured for a long time without proper treatment."

Strands of pale blond was sprawled across the silk sheets as I pulled back the blankets to examine his face. It was flustered and his breathes were labored, however consistent. I checked his pulse to find it steady then I tilted his head to study his eyes. The darkness of the pupil contrasted the lightness of his eyes dramatically and it was all normal. There was not way to flash a light into his eyes to check if the pupils will retract.

"Where was he injured?" I inquired as I took a step back to Calaena who glared at me, "Also, where is Chaol?"

"He had to go help the remaining forces," the assassin explained while she paced in the small area, "The man was stabbed in the abdomen."

"Aedion is who you are referring to." I mentioned as I pulled back his thin shirt to reveal bloody bandages, "I had the honor to meet him in the dungeon before I went to my execution."

"Strange. How is he?" demanded Calaena without patience. 

"Hold on. I need to check his wound first," I then commented under my breathe, "It's liking meeting myself."

He had a deep cut along the middle of his abdomen that had scar tissue around it. There was no discoloration meaning no infection.

"Can you bring me fresh bandages, a cloth, and water with some alcohol?" I asked briskly as I put back the bandage that was filthy.

Calaena retorted with an attitude, "Sure thing."

Soon enough on a bed side table I had a bucket with water and alcohol with a well-used rag set up as my station. I cleaned out the wound with the alcohol and water to see the extent of the damage to find only tissue tore and no organs damaged. It became clear Aedion was lucky as Calaena filled me in the grand escape in the glass castle with the dancers throwing smoke bombs, them fighting men to the death, and the face off with the Prince. Calaena had a hint of regret while she told that story. 

"Well he is certainly lucky to be alive," I told as I replaced the bandage with a sterilized female shirt, "although there is not much I can do. His wounds will not kill him but he needs lots of rest."

"Glad to know." stated Calaena as guided me out of the room, "I can take care of it from here."

"Yeah, it should be easy so I guess I am leaving now?" I asked as I folded my arms.

The assassin said while she turned back to the room with the General, "I will have a carriage sent here to pick you up. For the mean time you can sit in the living room."

"Thanks," I replied as I plopped on the sofa and leaned back, placing my feet on the cushion.

Her light eyes pierced into me but she did nothing and exited the room. I waited for a while until I drifted off.