Chapter 29

My heart skipped a beat while the red doorway was thrust open by a stout women who had bright gray eyes. A grand smile spread across her face like a fire in dry grass and she stepped outside to hug Lolos.

"Hello, mom," Lolos got out while smothered in motherly love.

Her large eyes widen as she saw me standing in the shadows of Lolos, her smile faltered.

Lolos' mother beamed. "Who you might be?"

"Pleasure to meet you, ma'am," I answered confidently, "My name is Ymir."

"She is a fellow guard," cleared up Lolos, thankfully.

The gray-eyed woman welcomed us in. "That is wonderful! My name is Keme by the way."

I gave Lolos a look and followed behind her into a decent sized entry that had a roaring fire crackling, kids laughed far in the back of the house. There was a large sofa across from it that was worn from years of use and a pillow sat on the edge. A short man sat on the sofa with a book propped on his knees tucked to his chest, his blue eyes grazed across the pages swiftly, the sound of the pages turning was almost silent.

The entry led to a large kitchen that had Dedas manning a fire pit filling the room with smoke exiting an open window that overlooked a garden. Next to him a lady with long brown hair was chopping vegetables on a table that was below the window. Outside there was a child with dark hair and gray eyes running a muck with a red-haired lady chasing after the kid trying to hug them.

"Over on the sofa is Tadras, the old man is Dedas, and the lady helping him is Lailni, my daughter." introduced Keme thoroughly, "Out back is my granddaughter Cido and Urel is playing with her. Cido absolutely loves to play a game of chase."

I stiffened and established with prying eyes set on me, "My name is Ymir."

"She was a guard for the Ytger of Eyllwe," elaborated Lolos and hesitantly added, "and she is a guard alongside me, here."

"Oh, You have my condolences about Princess Nehemia," mentioned Tadras peeking over the back of the seat.

"Tadras! That is none of your business," gently reminded Keme, "I am sorry. Tadras keeps up on politics in foreign countries and he does not when to keep his mouth shut."

"Don't worry about it. What happened was tragic and Eyllwe will never forget their beloved Princess," I uttered sadly, my eyes dropping to the floor for the realism.

Lolos tapped me on the shoulder and indicated that I could drop off my weapons by the door. There were already a few broad swords by the door all lined neatly with a bow and arrow by it. I propped my double blades next to Lolos' sword that had a white pommel at the end, it was newly done. However, I left my dagger on my hip and scanned the room to see Cido dashing in covered in mud from head to toe.

"We need to clean you up before dinner," cooed Lailni as she wiped her hands on a white apron.

She took her daughter's hand and took her to a bathroom that led from the kitchen. Lolos ushered me to the kitchen and to the chopping station. The smell of onions and peppers hit my nose instantly and eyes began watering.

"If you want to eat, you need to help," stated Lolos proudly with Keme nodding her head behind him.

I grabbed the long knife left by the remaining veggies and got to work. The echos the knife hitting the wood systematically sliced the onions in perfect pieces; the peppers were a bit uneven.

A lonely voice sang from the other room, "The emerald trees dance and the rivers run free. The mighty stag follows, watching over me."

"That will not be sang in my home!" demanded Dedas towards the entry, Lailni's eyes were large enough to be comical.

Lailni shakily combed back Cido's hair and began braiding and did not miss a beat. "My daughter must know her heritage."

I glanced at Lolos and he missed my gaze instantly, so I pulled him aside to the backyard as Dedas and Lailni argued. Their voices were faint whispers once outside in the setting sun illuminating a patch of tall, red tulips. Grass tickled my ankles when I stopped a less than a meter from the surprisingly big house.

"Care to explain," I requested hastily and crossing my arms.

"My family hails from Terrasen." admitted Lolos gazing at the ground, it seemed if a weight was lifted from his shoulders, "I was about nine when it burned down by the King of Adarlan."

I realized his troubled mind and touched his shoulder, "I am sorry to ask. I had no idea."

"Do not worry. You had no idea and I am glad that you know now," spoke Lolos into a soft breeze, sweeping back his bangs.

I declared softly, "We should head back in for supper."

With that I stalked back into the house to see Lailni and Dedas shaking hands as to end the argument, they were apologizing. Then a table was pulled from the wall and another half of it was extended out to make almost as large as the room it was in. An assortment of chairs were places round it, some were wooden, others stools.

"Everyone come get seated!" announced Keme loudly and a rush of people filled the area.

I was seated at a corner by Cido and to my other side was Lolos who chatting with Urel happily. A giant chicken was placed in the center of the table with smaller dishes full of onions and green peppers together, oddly they were not cooked. The wafting scent of the delicious food made my mouth water and my eyes danced across the view.

Dedas determined out of the blue, "We will all say something that we are thankful for before we eat."

Each person said they were thankful for their home or family or jobs. Lolos mentioned he was thankful to be in good health, shocking his mother who gave him a concerned look.

Soon enough it was my turn. I looked down at my hands folded in my lap and acknowledged, "I am thankful for Lolos' friendship in Adarlan."

Lolos patted my back roughly and smiled sweetly at me; I returned it. In a quiet orderly fashion we served our food while Cido got help since she was too small to reach the serving plates. Munching could be heard across the room as everyone dug into their heaping serving of delectable food.

We ate until there was nothing left, enjoying each other's company. I got caught in playing a version of eye spy with little Cido, her eyes sparkled when she won. My muscles relaxed for the first time in this world and I had a good time.