Chapter 13

Rhythmic beats of our reverberated steps lit up Bard's house as we made our way to it in the mild climate. We crossed the wide channels over temporary bridges; fish were seen in the depths of the water swimming around. Bright rays fell overhead illuminating the dwarves dark hair with Fili's locks glowed like a bright star. Around corners there were plenty of people to be seen in their worn clothing with excited looks and wide grins.

As we approached Bard's house I pulled open the door, "Hello, we made it back!"

Bard replied from the dining room, "Welcome back, nice to still see you still, Mia."

I nodded and I helped Kili to hobble in as the other dwarves rushed in except for Fili who checked on him. Sigrid, Tilda, and Bain peered from the kitchen as the dwarves and I settled into their house, scent of bread wafted into the room.

"Do you need any help with the bread?" I asked the kids while practically drooling.

Sigrid nervously gazed at me and nodded with her long hair bouncing with each movement. Then Tilda ran away into the kitchen with her brother as I walked into the kitchen. There was flour coating the floor, dishes were pilled high, and there was fresh bread on the wooden counter.

"Nice," I muttered as I pulled out some clothes and filled a bucket with water. Conveniently, I had to head outside to get the water.

By the end of fifteen minutes my back ached and my nailed were cracked from the cleaning with Sigrid's help.

I attempted to initiate a conversation, "So do your siblings always ran away when you need to clean?"

"That is about right. The two always scurry way saying that they have something else better to do," responded the eldest daughter while she scrubbed the ground.

"Yeah, my brother would constantly do that."

Bofur popped his head in, "I already had a slice of bread."

Then he vanished into the living room.

Sigrid's eyebrows furrowed as a frown lined her face, "He did not make it. I am getting a slice before it is all eaten."

With that I was left alone in the kitchen with too many plates stacked high. The old porcelain was cracked from the abuse and use they went through. Eventually, all of the dishes were cleaned, it took far too long.

"There is more bread," announced Kili as I enter the living room with the dwarves on the cushoined seats with Bard's family on miscellaneous chairs.

"I will remind all of you about this until one of us dies first," I tried to intimidate the dwarves, but I only got quaint smiles.

"Sure you will, lassie," chided Oin as he stood up.

Across the room I heard the door open so I stood up and went over to help Bard carry in some fish as he entered the room. He carried bins of fish that overwhelmed the room, his arms were shaking from the weight.

---

Later that day the dwarves were becoming seated around the large table in the dining room. Fading light filtered in through the window illuminating the dishes that were laid out. We each took a seat with too much fish in small dishes with some vegetables on the side. However, Kili and Filli was not in the room and we heard a loud thud in the living room.

I rushed over into the other room and saw Kili struggling to stand up with Fili by his side. I reached them while trying to lift up Kili, his belt dug into my side. Kili flinched in pain with each motion.

Instantaneously, the door was being banged on with much force to the point that it shook. The ceiling was creaking underneath immense weight, pieces of the wood fell into the room. Through the windows there were shadows of large creatures that crept around silently.

Shimmering glass fell through the room from behind us falling down in a wide cascade while being crushing on the floor. Orcs bombarded the room from the various windows. We instinctively guided Sigrid and Tilda to under the table and I pushed Bain to join them.

I drew out the dagger that I had and went to slice the Achilles tendon of the closest orc; the muscle of the leg wrapped up instantly. Then I swung the dagger to my left and was blocked by a jagged sword that had dents all over it. Clanging of metal rang throughout the room and I stood up straighter.

 Orcs were cornering Bofur and Oin, so I sprinted across and dug the dagger into the closest orcs neck, blood spluttered all over the floor. I twisted behind and stabbed an orcs eye after I got a light cut on my lower leg. From over my shoulder Oin threw a chair at an orc that came out of nowhere.

Two elves saved the day by breaking into the house and inordinate a fierce attack on the orcs. On the other side of the room I noticed Fili protecting Kili who was stuggling, so slid over and covered them. Tauriel and Legolas rapidly disarmed multiple orcs at once and saved our lives. Within seconds of coming in Legolas jumped out the window and went after one of the larger orcs. Tauriel easily fought her way over and pulled Kili onto a table as he twisted in pain. He cries filled the room echoing off the walls; he gripped the sides of a table from the corner of the room.

"I need Kingsfoil or also known as cinquefoil," demanded Tauriel as she assessed Kili's wound.

Oin asked, "Where is that found?"

"It is eaten by the pigs," commented Tauriel as she glanced at Oin with her eyes searching his face.

When Oin left I went over to the window and examined Lake-town from Bard's house while searching for more orcs. With nothing seen, I sauntered over to where Kili laid with Fili by his side. Fili held his brother's hand as Kili tightened his grip.

"How is Kili doing?" I urgently questioned Tauriel while she inspected the wound.

Tauriel observed, "It seems the poison is spreading, but there is still hope if the dwarf hurries up."

I nodded and quickly went out the door in search of Oin. Evening sunlight overlaid Lake-town's roofs and water, the currents had the light bounce off of it. I hunted down the dwarf by following his small, wet footprints that led to a pig pen about fifty feet from the house. There were no lights on and it was silent. Even no evidence of the orcs was present.

"Did you find the herbs?" I inquired as soon as I found Oin almost getting bit by a pig.

Oin riposted, "What do you think?"

I held out my hand, "I can run faster than you can in your life."

Oin nodded his large head and trustingly handed me the herbs. I took off flying, jumping over the canals by stepping onto the boats, and leaped over short fences. Overhead there were faint stars beginning to shine. In the distance I could hear pigs snorting around and birds were squawking at their young. My grip on herbs tightened with each step.

The door slammed open as I entered the house and rushed over to Tauriel. She ripped the herbs out of my hands and spoke in one of her native languages which I believe was Quenya. She words flowed smoothly out of her mouth while Kili made eye contact with Tauriel. It was a beautiful string of poetry, it was music.

Oin panted into the living room with Bofur bringing him into the circle. Bard observed the whole situation with awe and Oin said a prayer to say thanks for witnessing such a monumental event. I glanced over to see the kids around Kili and Tauriel.

"He will be okay," smile Tauriel, "and he shall make a full recovery."

"Thank goodness," commented Fili with relief flooding his face.

I remembered that I knocked out Tauriel and slowly backed away.

She glared at me when she stepped away from Kili, "I remember you, human. You attacked me on the balcony in the Mirkwoods."

I nodded, "I do apologize about that, you probably understand. There was no other way to get out from the prison."

"We must do what we need to do, but there are consequences."

I stumbled back when there was a thundering roar, heat overflowed the air. Light created shadow that were not meant to be there.

"The dragon is here," breathed Bard with widen eyes.