Chapter 32

As the night wore on the noises from the crickets ceased and far off howls of wild animals could be heard. My legs ached as we marched on, avoiding the road altogether since we last ran into Lorcan. Some pieces of tall grass itched my legs as it went up my pant legs with bugs crawling on me.

"We should rest for at least a little bit," commented Lolos as he stretched his legs, indicating that he was tired and sore.

I imposed curtly, "We need to continue traveling or we will be dead."

Lolos shook his head and sat down in a patch of dirt. "Not if we rest for a short while"

Leaning back Lolos yawned and placed his head in the nook of his elbow, shortly his breathing was even. I went over to poke his face, but he was already fast asleep. Exhaustion wore down to my bones when I curled up by Lolos and I watched the night sky fade away until sleep took me.

---

Wings flapping in the distance jolted me awake all too soon, my mind was still foggy from sleep. I nudged Lolos with my knee yet he did not stir, leaving meto roll him over. When he opened his eyes I gestured with my hand to be quiet, and he began shaking his head when he heard the wings. Then I pointed towards to the edge of pine forest that swept up into some hills to hide from what was coming; Lolos made no complaint.

We crawled through the tall grass with rocks cutting our hands and prickly plants poking through our clothing. The sun from the east blared in our eyes as we made our way across the grassy fields. Soon sweet, fresh aroma of pine filtered through the low hanging branches of the trees once we made it to the edge of the plains. Dried ferns and herbs scattered across the rich dirt floor with bright moss growing on the sides of the trees further in.

"Exactly what are we hiding from?" questioned Lolos quietly as he stared at me through the underbrush.

I confessed under my breath, "It could be wyverns. I heard that you can hear their wings flap from far away."

"Or it could have been a locus," Lolos reasoned tiredly, "since those things are loud. Hopefully, it isn't any of those beasts that you speak of."

I reached over to Lolos in the shadows, feeling warm blood on my finger tips, "You have a cut across your neck. Let me return the favor."

I ripped a strip of cloth from my shirt, making sure that is was clean, and tied it around the cut on his neck. A prickly bush below him was covered in his crimson blood as it dripped onto the ground; it reeked of iron.

Lolos grunted in recognition as I popped my head out of the foliage and scanned the red and orange sky. The leaves rustled though there was no beating of wings nor a cloud or a dot was present.

Lolos bantered as he tried to change the subject, "At least we match now."

"Maybe we can get matching dresses, too," I dryly retorted as I stalked towards the treeline and into the new day.

Grinned Lolos broadly. "I might look better than you. Especially with this flower crown."

I whipped my head around to see Lolos lifting up the circle of white flowers onto his head. It glowed like a halo in the morning rays contrasting significantly with his dark locks.

I raised my eyebrows and stalked out to the plains. "I'm sure that you will."

Immediately, I trailed backwards into Lolos' chest and pushed him back into the shadows. In full view a tall, dark man was sprinting past us in the grass. The man's pitch black hair absorbed the light, his eyes examined the world thoroughly.

Lolos and I made eye contact briefly and darted deeper into the forest knowing who it was. Undiluted panic rushed through my body as I ran after Lolos over rocks, tree roots, and whatever else was on forest grounds. Flimsy tree branches smacked my face as I struggled to duck after Lolos.

After running for almost an hour we slowed down when we ran into a babbling brook surrounded by lush shrubs with red and purple wild flowers sprouting up. The white noise of the rushing water surrounded us as I settled by Lolos who was already sticking his bare feet into the creek. The water was so clear that gray, smoothed rocks decorated the bottom could be seen, little clumps of aquatic plants smelled musty.

Panted Lolos, "How did he find us?"

"From what I know Fae have heightened senses," I explained as I watched the water, "so he probably tracked us."

"I am not blind, Ymir, It seems unlikely that you served the Royal Family in Ewllye and traveled to Wendlyn," blurted out Lolos, his eyes hardened.

I kicked the water impatiently. "What do you want from me?!"

"The truth!" said Lolos exasperatedly, "You literally come from no where claiming all of these glorious achievements and you know more than anyone I have met. You know what I do not believe anything that you have said to me since I have met you."

"You want to know it! Fine!" I growled and glared into Lolos' eyes, "I am from a different universe. This continent called Erilea and so much more is literally a fictional book series in my world. This book series follows Aelin Galathynius, the Queen of Terrasen, of how she reclaims her throne. It explains the lore of Erilea thoroughly and this point of time is when she is beginning her journey to your homeland."

"Why should I believe you?" demanded Lolos, his voice was empty of compassion.

"I have told bits and pieces of truth." I wept with tears flowing down my cheeks as I gripped the cool ring, "I did once have a fiance named Mia Otieno but is she now deceased and I am trying to repair her soul."

I crumpled from the crushing guilt and sadness, sobs echoed in the still forest. A warm hand held onto my shoulder till my tears stopped.

"What happened?" Lolos softly inquired.

I revealed carefully, "It was my fault. One day I was home in Australia then I wound up in a different world with a quest."

Lolos stiffened with an intrigued facial expression. "Does my queen truly take back her throne?"

"Yes, I would not lie to you about that," I muttered while I sat up taller.

"I am sorry. I should not have yelled at you," apologized Lolos as he looked down at me.

I turned to him. "I should be apologizing. I shouldn't have been lying to you for this long. I thought it would be dangerous to tell the truth."

"It can be."

"I have something to say. Since- Mia's death I have not had a friend like you. I want you to know from know on I will only tell the truth to you alone and that I trust you with my life." I breathed into stiff air.

A strong arm wrapped around my shoulder and dragged me closer to Lolos' body, tears dampened my hair. Lolos then propped his head onto mine and sat there for a while.

"Thank you, Ymir." Lolos mentioned in the silence, "I, myself, have not had a friend like you for sometime since Jalen passed."

I lifted my head. "Who in the hell is that?"

"He was my childhood friend. We joined the training program for the Royal Guards at the age of thirteen together." explained Lolos softer than the brook, "One fateful day on rotations around the castle we were ambushed, Jalen scarified himself so I can fight another day. After that I found it hard to connect to others until I met you."

"Great, we're both traumatized idiots," I remarked sarcastically, folding my hands on my knees.

Lolos punched my shoulder. "I did not say that about you!"

"I know, sorry. Seriously though I am sorry about your loss," I stated as I stood up "However, we should start going or Lorcan will eat us for breakfast."

Lolos observed with a hint of a grin, "You are really bad in these social situations. You try to change the subject whenever you can."

"That is true." I said as I ambled deeper into the forest with the weight of my weapons and supplies, "No one ever said I was."

A deep laugh rumbled to my ears as the trees grew taller and more vibrant in color. Pine needles wafted all around us and the day was moving on.