CH. 36 ~ Training

Depuis le début

I continue to try to direct my energy to my seal, feeling my palms warm up as they begin to glow a bright blue, the energy elemental magic manifests in. I can feel my heartbeat speed up with excitement that I've been able to accomplish the task so far that I almost lose my focus on the magic. Refocusing, I bring my magic back into my control and stabilize it when Captain decides I'm ready to move into the next step.

"You're really good, who did you say trained you again?"

"Nadia, a water nymph."

"They're still alive?" He asks, clearly confused. I nod, unsure of why he would ask that before he clears it up. "I thought the Queen got rid of them when she expelled magic, but I guess there are still some things she can't control. Wait, that's off-topic, we need to get back to training," he reminds himself. "Alright, anyways, now I want you to choose an element and transfer the energy on your palm, to it, mentally." I give him a further perplexed look, not grasping what it is he's asking for. Eye-patch rolls his eye, shuffling over to me before signaling to the elements he's placed before me.

"Eye-patch, I'm not sure what it is you're asking me to do."

"I'm asking you to connect with an element. Any. Just connect with it. Create a link between the two of you. A link that may allow you to control the element you're using. Try commanding it too." I focus once again, this time on the items in front of me and I choose the bucket of water. I train my eyes onto it, imagining an invisible chain connecting it to me. "Have you made a connection?" I nod aggressively, waiting for the next step impatiently. "Good, now control it." I close my eyes, pinching my eyebrows together, and focus on imagining the water being lifted and thinned out into a long rope-like figure.

I open one eye to peek and frown when all I see is the water messily sloshing in the bucket in front of me. Eye-patch snorts, trying to hide his giggles which he does a terrible job of. I slump my shoulders, crossing my arms while I wait for him to regain composure.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing, but— no, never mind." He makes an unconvincing apology before thinking about what the problem might be. "Sun-mi, are you familiar with Ajarik?"

"Yes, Uheria said it's an ancient language that's used to cast spells. Magic bearers can't use their magic correctly without it." Captain nods, satisfied with the answer I've given him.

"Correct! I actually know a little which would allow me to use certain spells. I learned it from my teacher, the old captain of this ship." He informs me which makes me curious as to who his old teacher was.

"Who was the old Captain?" I inquire, a smirk already playing at his lips, knowing that's what I would ask.

"Eden." The name rings a distant bell that I'm trying to bring to memory. All I can recall is one story told to me by Nana about the Enchantress and her...

"Brother," I vocalize. "Eden was the name of the last enchantress' brother. After the Queen turned against the enchantress he fled with many refugees and became a pirate. One of the most feared of his time. You're telling me that Eden was your mentor?" Eye-patch nods, a bit surprised at my extended knowledge on his mentor.

"Indeed he was. He was like a father to me. He taught me everything I needed to know about using my powers, which I'm now trying to teach you." I look at him in curiosity, wondering what it must've been like to interact with Eden. He was only ever a legend back at the castle so finding out that he truly existed came as a bit of a shock. "Hold on, we keep getting sidetracked. Look, what I was trying to tell you is that in order to use magic properly, you need to use Ajarik."

"Okay, I can do that." I declare, a new set of determination already settling in me.

"Can you?" Hongjoong inquires, quirking an eyebrow and I scoff.