fifty three

I dragged my feet towards the kitchen, keeping my head down. All the good I had going for me was already going down the drain. I was sent off once again to go work in the kitchen, seeing that apparently that was the only thing I was useful for. Thankfully, it wouldn't be the worst due to Chef being there...hopefully.

But it didn't get rid of the fact of how much my head is under the water. I was supposed to be dead by now, by the hand of probably Illumi or Mike...all for breaking the rules & befriending Killua. I probably would've been executed right on the spot if I told ANYONE I was in a relationship with him.

I felt this pain string in my heart, this guilt dwelling in my chest knowing what I had to do. It made me sick to even think about, & I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

But if I really wanted to keep my head & protect Killua...this would be the best for both of us.

I just hope one day that Killua would forgive me one day.

I made it to the kitchen, pushing one of the double doors open. I stand up straighter, smelling the sweet delicacies known as Chef's cooking coming towards me. My frown was replaced for a minute with a faint smile, seeing him bustling around the kitchen.

He was making french toast, setting it on the table that had a few other breakfast items already sitting on the table. The smell of freshly scrambled eggs, sweet syrup, & warm bread tingled my nose.

I would be drooling if I wasn't so depressed over what was to come. But, instead of frowning in front of Chef & showing how weak I was, I gave him the brightest smile as he turned around to look at me.

Examining his face, I saw the sparkle in his eyes returned a little. Something about him looked new, almost changed. But what do you expect from a man who lost the only love of his life? I'm just glad he wasn't dead or intoxicated...maybe one day there will be a bright future for him. I'll pray for him.

"Karma!" He beamed, giving a small wave, "Long time no see my darling, did the devil reach you too?"

I gave a half hearted laugh, "You could say that again. I was seconds away from getting kicked...but, I'm still here & happy to help."

Chef bit his lip anxiously, as if he wanted to ask what happened. But the question never came, as he moved on & started piling more food onto another plate. I joined him, standing by his side as he began tp speak again, "So, where's Master Killua?"

I froze a little, clearing my throat gently, "Um, I'm unsure. I haven't seen him for a few days."

He hummed as he handed me a plate full of food to put over with the rest. As I delivered it Chef hummed, "So, have you two lovebirds finally hit it off."

Gently setting down the plate, I remained quiet for a minute. I stared at the soft food that was sprinkled with white sugar dust, & shiny sweet syrup. I chuckled lightly under my breath, trying to stop any tears that wanted to flood.

Spinning around, I gave him a happy smile with a laugh. I clasped my hands together, closing my hands, "We did! But, forget not to tell anyone...please."

Chef chuckled, "I always knew you two would get together. Ever since the day you two become friends."

Opening my eyes, I stare at him in surprise. Before I could even open my mouth to ask anything, he just nods. I just give another small smile, covering a little with a fisted hand. I walk back over to him to start helping him once more, beginning the process of placing food on the plate & placing it on the table.

After a good few rounds of this, the phone aggressively starts shouting & shaking. Chef & I stop what we're doing as he picks it up. It was a quick phone call, seeing he didn't even get a word into the conversation before the dial tone started playing. He sets the phone back on the receiver, & stares at me for a second perplexed.

"What was that?" I ask him.

He shales his head a little, "Nothing important, but I do have to step out for a bit. Can you take over kitchen duties for a bit Karma?"

I nodded, giving him a thumbs up, "You can count on me."

Chef gave a smile, bowed slightly, then left. I sighed, relaxing my posture a little. I begin to start piling food onto plates again, starting the process once more. This didn't last very long, as another set of doors swung open.

My head snapped up towards them, as a familiar face filled my sight. I felt my blood run cold, knowing this was it. I tried to regulate my breathing, as I quickly moved my eyes away from them. I continued my work, not even greeting them or taking notice that they were there.

They approached me, standing on the opposite side of the island. They cleared their throat, causing me to jump up a little & look into their eyes. There I was met with a beautiful pair of blue eyes. The short white-haired assassin stood before me, his arms crossed.

It had to begin, no matter how much I didn't want to.

I truly was just everyones puppet, in this broken down household.