one

It was another day, filled with the same endless ends.

I woke up in my hovel of a basement called home, rubbing my eyes with the palms of my hands. My eyes burned from the lack of sleep, while a yawn erupted from my mouth. I threw myself off my mattress, letting my bare feet hit the cold concrete floor.

I murmured things under my breath as I slouched, walking a few steps forward in the very small basement. I was met with a foggy & cracked mirror, that hung sideways on the wall. I never bothered to fix it, knowing if I tried, it'd just fall off & break. & this was the only mirror I have ever been supplied with.

Sounds sad, but it's the truth.

This small room called my 'home' was what I was "gifted" with since I was a wee baby. The windowless basement included rats that were considered my pets - they were pretty nice, especially when I snuck them scraps of food - a mattress on the concrete ground, cracks & leaks everywhere, & a sad excuse for a small bathroom. Which, was literally the mirror, a leaking sink, & a toilet that seemed to be almost falling apart.

Ah yes, I was living the dream.

I turned the loose faucet to the left, a loud creak departing from it. I don't even wince at the noise from it, knowing it's been like this for years. Leaning down, I splashed some room temperature water into my face, pretending that it was cold water, & released a long sigh.

Rubbing the dripping water that was making little droplets on the floor, I shut off the sink. I clear my throat, heading back to my bed. On the other side laid all my 'nice things'. Which, was shocking I even owned items even so obscure like that.

But oh boy, was it for all the worst reasons.

I pulled out a nice dress & a few other accessories to go with it. A hairbrush & some perfume were included in my expensive items. I changed out of my gray cloth shorts & white tank top, slipping into the dress.

The dress was fitted at the waist, while the bottom part fluffed out & ruffled. It reached my mid-thighs, where it comfortably laid with the soft white-petticoat under. The shoulders were short & puffy, but were fitted. Around my waist laid a short white apron, that coainted a big white bow in the back. It was the only white on the black dress, besides the flat, white, & ruffled collar. In the middle of the collar, a black ribbon was tied in a bow. Along with my outfit, was knee-high white stockings, black flats, & a white headband that was ruffled.

I sprayed some fancy vanilla perfume on me, smoothed out my work attire, & headed back to the mirror with my brush. Unraveling the two hair ties from the brush, I brush the knots out of my hair & put two high pigtails into my long black hair. My hazel eyes looked over my hair, trying hard not to snap a band or to yank my hair out.

Once I was done getting ready, I listened to the clicking of my flats hit the concentrate ground. I returned the brush, perfume, & my pjs to my bed, knowing I was going to see them all later.

I take in a big breath, & release it really slow.

I was ready for the day, that was like every other.

Walking past the broken mirror, lead me to some creaky steps. They were worn out & wooden, & I swear they were going to be broken one of these days. They were mainly warn out from me running up & down them, or my masters stomping down the stairs to yell something criticizing in my face.

I gently walk up each step, watching my step to not step on a crack in the worn out stairs. I head up the set, which lead me to a door. I rattle the handle gently three times, releasing a code to the other side. The large metal door made a booming noise, before opening to reveal the other side.

Stepping up another step, I finally reach stable ground. It was a carpted hallway, in a very lit up hallway. In the basement, the light was dim. But, there was just enough light for me to be able to still see clearly.

Of course, it was nicer in the brighter light.

As the metal door came to a close, I kept my hands clasped in front of me. I stood up straight, & kept my face straight as well. My eyes unveiled upon me a taller male, dressed in a black suit. He wore rectangle glasses that seemed to make him look older than he may have been. He wore a gotee & short black hair, & overall - a serious expression.

His hands were now folded behind his back as he looked down at me. He inspected me closely, probably searching for any mistake that I could've made. If I was unprepared for the day, I would be in great trouble with him & the masters.

I stayed their standing straight & poised, as he finally made a noise, "You may speak now."

I gave a bow, placing my hands behind my back, "Sir Gotoh, I am ready for duty."

As I came back up, he didn't return the bow. That would be Gotoh for you. He's the head of the help here. He was who most of the masters go to first when there was an issue, or when he needed a 'special job' done. He had a high reputation, & had never seen fit to bow to me or any of the other help.

Right. That part.

I was apart of the help. I was a maid, if it wasn't made clear yet with the outfit. It's my job to keep tidy in the household, along with other tasks I'm ridden with when I'm asked. Which, is fairly rare. Usually I clean up after people & that's it. I'm never asked to go guard or to fight off any intruders. I lived a pretty simple life, even in a crappy job & a sad living enviornment.

Gotoh cleared his throat, kicking me out of my monolouging thoughts. I looked up at him, watching him inspect me once again. Hopefully, he didn't notice me slacking off...even for a few quick seconds. One mistake, & I would be outted to a master or, he'd choose a punishment for me.

He pushed up his glasses, causing them to gleam a little, "Well then, let's get started....Miss Karma."