twenty three

"Kar?" I suddenly heard, getting knocked out of thought.

I hummed quickly in response as he raised an eyebrow, "Whatcha thinking bout? You seem like your brain is overworking, or you're in distress."

I waved my hand off at him, starting to stutter, "I-it's nothing, don't worry about it."

Before he could even open his mouth to try & question me, I lurch forward & point at a store in front of us, "LOOKIE!"

I didn't even realize really what it was until I made a loud commotion about it, causing a small handful of people to stare at us. Killua smacked me in the back of the head, causing me to topple over a little. I muttered a few words, rubbing the back of my head.

Still leaning over slightly, I looked at the building I was 'oh so excited' about. It had a small table with an umbrella on it, the table & two chairs that sat on either side made out of metal. A huge glass window sat behind it to reveal a long counter with a register & a large sign above it. A few tables & chairs could be seen scattered amongst in there, but, I couldn't quite place what the building may be.

Without another word, we started to quickly make our way over there. I was already entranced of what this building might hold, feeling a sorta homey feeling radiating off of it. Killua darted to the door, holding it open for me. A little ring went off, signaling the lady behind the register to greet us.

I gave a small wave as Killua entered in behind me, as I looked into the cute little place. The smell of coffee & pastries seemed to fill the air, the perfect amount of bitter & sweet lingering around. The temperature wasn't to cold, yet not to hot - it felt just right.

There were booths scattered along the walls with square tables, & a few chairs along with other circular tables. Bags of coffee beans seemed to be laid around, while the soft noise of gentle & upbeat music played in the background.

What came to my surprise, was the random items that seemed to be placed around the shop. A small tower? Random toys? Pet food?

Then, my eyes caught a glimpse at a small white creature padding its way past me.

My mouth dropped open a little as I turned to Killua. Killua already had a small smile on his face, looking at the different cats that were now emerging out of hiding places. There were a few people sitting around drinking & eating, but none seemed to be interacting with the roaming felines.

"What is this heaven we walked in on?" I asked Killua, trying to lower my excitement in my voice.

Killua lowered himself to a speckled calico cat that brushed up against his feet. He took the back of his hand, rubbing gently behind its ears - it instantly began to purr, "This Karma, is a cat cafe."

I wanted to squeal in excitement, but I quickly calmed myself down, not wanting to spook the cats. Taking a quick breath in & out, Killua stood up & walked me over to a booth. I sat down, a few cats approaching me. I leaned over a little, reaching my hands to gently pet their heads, giving each & every one of them attention.

They each had a small collar on them with a little pendant that stated their name, breed, & where they belonged to - which, was the cafe that was apparently called 'The Cat's Meow'. The felines all seemed to be of different ages & genders, which, honestly made them each very adorable & pretty unique in my eyes.

Starting to make little cooing noises & talking in a baby voice to the cats, Killua raised up a question, "Karma, whatcha want to eat?"

I didn't avert my attention to them to look at Killua, "Anything sweet!"