thirty three

I felt Gotoh's cold words shiver up my spine. They were so cold & bitter, almost vile. But, it said in the most calming & serious voice...how did it have such an impact onto me? I tried to shake off his words, knowing that I wasn't going to be doing anything that would get me in trouble...

Okay, or won't get caught doing at least.

Hurriedly, I took my little legs down to the kitchen as fast as possible. My goal was finally being reached, I could finally check in on Chef again. After that, I could focus back in on Killua again. Besides, he was probably going to tag along with me any given moment.

I reached the kitchen, pushing both doors open this time. For once, there was no smell. No smell of pastries being glazed, or soup boiling. No fresh & ripe tomatoes being cut open, or fresh bread baking.

It smelled like strong cleaning supply. Mainly bleach, which made my noise scrunch up in disgust. I peeked in, looking to see if I had just woken up a little too early that I had disrupted a cleaning session from Chef. But no. Chef was there, sitting there, not doing anything.

His body was slumped over in a chair, his chef's hat in his hand while the other hand was entangled in his hair. I could see his eyes fixated on the ground, dark eye-bags circling underneath. He looked exhausted, as if he hadn't slept for weeks on end.

What happened in the two days I was gone?

I closed the door gently, having the slightest click go off. Chef jumped in his chair, his gaze attaching to me. His shocked expression slowly faded to a soft & kind one. Chef gave me a small & tired smile, "Karma, you're finally feeling better I see."

I approached him gently, standing in front of him, "I am...it was rough but, I'm here to help you now. Chef...are you okay?"

He leaned back in his chair with a huff, "Well, if you can tell I look like hell. I haven't slept in days between working. I've been up all night thinking about Lyric, thinking about how I can help her."

I kneeled down to be at the same height as him. I began to talk softer, "Is she okay?"

It was silent for a minute, an almost uncomfortable silence. I could take the hint already, but he gave a sigh & a little laugh. Chef leaned over, holding his head in his hand, "Lyric...she hasn't gotten any better. She's gotten worse, or so I've heard."

"Have you seen her?"

He shook his head, "Damn Gotoh won't let me or any of the other help get even an inch towards her door. He doesn't want any of us getting sick is what he says. But, I know he just doesn't want me to see my wife...even if she might be on her death bed."

I heard a sniffle come from Chef. I walked closer to him, placing a hand on his back, rubbing in gently, "Don't day that Chef. It isn't true...Lyric will get better, she got better all the rest of the times."

"& what if this is the one time she doesn't get better."

I sighed, "I don't know if I told you this, but when Gotoh came to get me yesterday morning, he seemed to think I had the same sickness as Lyric."

Chef turned to me, his eyes widening, "He...what?"

"Well, he didn't exactly say that it was the same sickness as Lyric has but, he said it was 'another case'. There's literally no one else in this mansion who has a sickness..."

Chef stared at me in awe & shock as I continued, "& you see me...sure I took only a day to recover, but I felt like I was deathly ill. So, if I can recover from it, there's a very high chance possibility she can too."

He left out a small breath of relief, lowering his head back down. Pushing himself up, he brushed off his uniform, & placed his chef hat back into his head.

With a grin he turned to me, "Thank you for bringing some hope back to me, Karma...now, lets get some food cookin."

"That's the spirit!" I cheered, as he waltzed over to the fridge.

The heavy & tense air seemed to have lifted & was replaced with a soft & happier sort of atmosphere. I followed Chef by going into the cabinets & pulling out some pans, seeing him pull out some eggs.

We both met at the middle island stove, conjuring all of our food & pans. We began to crack eggs, setting them into the pan. I turned the knob on the stove, causing a click & a spark to erupt from the burner. Blue flames erupted from it, making the egg yolk start to sizzle.

I moved the pan back & forth, beginning to hum. Chef began to start making other things while I made the mass amount of eggs that had been put into the pan. After a little while of us creating a tummy feast that drew up an amazing aroma, Chef began to speak once again.

"So, where's your little boyfriend?"

I jumped a little at the response, causing me to flip the scar making eggs. They landed with a loud sizzle as I fixed myself, "I, uh, HUH? Killua is NOT my boyfriend, we're best friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

He hummed as he started to cut up some white bread, "Hmm, that's a surprise to old ears."

I stared at him for a little as he took the small knife, cutting perfect & delicate sizes. I continued to move the pan back & forth, watching the older male have a smile rest in his face.

He was being serious? He really thought me & Killua were a thing? Together? ...dating?

My face began to heat up at the nonsense that case from Chef's mouth. The thought of even being with Killua made me feel warm, brining the fluttering feeling back to my stomach & chest.

I played it off with a small smile & a laugh, imaging me & Kil. Holding hands, kissing, using cute pet names. Sure, it was completely imaginable & wouldn't be the worst thing on the planet - according to my blushing face & fluttering feelings.

But Killua is my best friend, & he said he even loved me just like one. So the thought of a relationship was probably far from his mind. My mind, I couldn't tell you.

In my mind though, I believed that me & Killua in a million years wouldn't end up together.

What a ridiculous thought...right?