Chosen - Chapter Fifteen

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Something I shouldn't," I murmured.

"I like it." He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer.

I tried to protest, but it was useless. He covered my mouth with his and continued the kiss. The ever-increasing passionate kiss. I couldn't complain. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Placing my hands on his chest, I pressed back, wanting more of him.

"If we're caught I'll be taken away and killed."

"Then I guess we make sure never to be caught," Cassius said softly.

"What about marriage for you? A son?"

"We'll figure that out."

"This is not something to take lightly."

"I understand that." He kissed the tip of my nose and held my face in his hands, smiling at me gently. "We will figure everything out."

"I feel as though I am robbing you of a normal life. I cannot ride beside you during progress. I cannot host dignitaries or holidays. I have to remain hidden in the background with other courtiers."

"You can and will do whatever I wish. If I want, you to ride along my side during progresses you will."

"But Cassius, people will talk."

"Let them talk. What harm will it do? You cannot marry. You must remain in court," he said.

"Yes."

"I have no intentions on marrying anyone except for you."

"It will be obvious you favor me. If word travels back to the Guild..."

"We can easily explain everything away. Have no worries, my love."

"I will always have worries. There is so much at stake."

An urgent knocking at the door disturbed us from the very intimate embrace we were in. "Majesty?"

"What!" Cassius bellowed. "Why does everyone intrude at the wrong time?"

"Sir, the lady's mother is coming down the hall."

My face felt as though all the color drained out. I jumped up and off the bed.

"What do I do? She can't find me here! And most assuredly not in your night clothing!"

"Come this way." Cassius motioned for me to follow him. "This tunnel will take you to the lower courtyard. It's directly behind your chambers. If you hurry nobody will see you."

I nodded my head and began to enter the tunnel.

"Joselyn." Cassius grabbed my arm, handing me one of his robes. "In case anyone is there."

"Thank you."

He kissed my cheek and closed the bookcase behind me. I waited a few moments and listened as he walked across the room. Another knock on his door and his muffled reply.

"Where is my daughter?"

"I do not know, lady."

"She was not in her chambers this morning!"

"Perhaps you should check again. Maybe she went for a stroll in the courtyard," Cassius replied.

I turned and ran down the narrow hallway. My bare feet echoing off the stone walls. At the dead-end, I pushed with all my might against the wall until there was a big enough space for me to slip out. Glancing up and down the open space, I darted out and to my own chambers. My heart thumped against my chest. I hoped mother was still arguing with Cassius about my early morning stroll.

"Angeline!" I shouted, slamming the door behind me.

"Ma'am?"

"Hurry. Nightclothes and a washbasin. Quickly!"

The girl scurried about to get what I asked for as I threw off the king's night clothing, tucking it safely in my trunk. She presented me with the washbasin. I quickly scrubbed and washed the mess of curls that had long been ruined.

"I need you to tie up the curls, please," I said, slipping my own sleeping gown on.

"I don't understand. Where have you been, Madame? Your mother appeared..."

"I know. This is why I need you to tie up my curls and quickly. She's on her way back. Do not ask questions."

"Of course, Madame."

Angeline worked her magic and took the scraps of fabric to my hair, expertly twisting my hair into perfect curls. As she finished, and I lay back on my pillows, taking a cup of tea, my mother burst through the door.

"Mother!"

"Joselyn! Where have you been?"

"Here, mother. What is troubling you?" I asked innocently.

"I was here not long ago. You were not here."

"I went for a stroll when I woke. It seemed like a lovely morning. I caught a chill now I am taking tea. Would you care for some?"

"No. What happened with the king yesterday?" she asked.

"Absolutely nothing. Why?"

"He said he was taking you to visit the Duke de Le Mare without me."

"Oh. That. Yes. Quite odd. I didn't get an opportunity to speak with him. Did you?"

"No."

I did something she hated most of all I shrugged my shoulders. I did her second least favorite thing next. Grabbing a book on the stand near my bed, I opened it to a random page, sipped my tea, and willed the wretched woman in front of me away with my mind.

It didn't work. She stood there tapping her satin-covered toes at me.

"Is there anything else, mother?"

"Do you plan on spending all day in bed?"

"A bit longer, yes. I would like to read a little bit more of my book. It is quite a fascinating book."

She huffed, turned on her heels and stormed from the room. I sighed heavily and tossed the book back.

"Madame? If I may ask, what is going on?"

"It's a long story, Angeline. Help me get dressed, would you?"

I climbed out of bed. Anxious to get back to Cassius.