Track 9. | Heroes

💿
"We can be Heroes
We can be Heroes
We can be Heroes
Just for one day
We can be Heroes"

Song: Heroes - David Bowie.

* * *

Bowie

"Mr Greenberg what do you plea to one account of being in possession of class A narcotics and also resisting arrest on the 14th of March 2017 at 7am?" The judge asks Harry finally after the jury took only one hour to deliberate which means it's not a good sign for Harry.

If Harry says he pleads not guilty he could face time in prison for longer and also have no possibility of parole but if he pleads guilty he could reduce his sentence and get the possibility of parole. We discussed this before we went back into the court room with officers present to confirm my points to him.

"Guilty" Harry says quickly not thinking about his answer. I sigh with relief and give him a small smile as he sits back down.

"And the jury, how do you find Mr Greenberg?" The judge says looking over at the jury who are sat lined up waiting for their chance to speak.

One woman stands up looking to be in her mid 40s her hair and outfit polished, not one strand of hair out of place. She must be used to this.

"We the jury, find Mr Mick Greenberg, guilty on one account of being in possession of class A drugs and also resisting arrest on the 14th of March 2017 at 7am" the woman speaks loud and clear before she sits back down with the remaining 11 members of the jury.

I look over to Harry with a side glance to see him not fazed by the jury's words, he knew this was coming.

"Mr Greenberg me and the jury of New York City along with the officers of the NYPD find you guilty on one account of drug possession that included class A drugs which is called as a felony and resisting arrest, find you guilty. You are sentenced to 3-8 years in prison which can be made longer. I now call this case to a close" the judge says as she lifts up her gavel.

I look at Harry who's looking at me with wide eyes, she never gave him the possibility of parole like she should.

"Your honour, if the person in question pleaded guilty that means he should be granted the possibility of parole, it was his plea deal" I say standing up looking at the judge as she has her gavel in her hand ready to bang it off the desk.

"Ms Anderson, I understand he had a plea deal but we had to decline it as there is still a witness out there who has not gave an account therefore we have to put Mr Greenberg behind bars until that witness comes forward or the police department find them" she says and bangs the gavel not giving me a chance to answer.

Everyone starts to leave the room after she leaves leaving me and Harry gobsmacked over what just happened.

I look over to see Officer Brown smiling at me with a smug look. I've never wanted to beat a person up more than I do that son of a bitch.

"You, you sly bastard! You told me that he would get parole!" I say leaning over Harry getting ready to leap on Officer Brown in anger.

"Don't try this silly girl, a pretty girl like you wouldn't last a minute behind bars so I suggest you stop now when you can!" He spits at me tugging Harry up for them to leave.

Harry looks at me and shakes his head knowing it's not worth a fight. I sigh and watch him leave with two officers leading him out.

I sit down and throw my papers off the table in anger as I sit alone in the court room in anger.
I sit with my head in my hands. I've really fucked this up now.