"Thanks, Santana. Thanks, Em." He told them.

"I did a book report on heart attacks if you want to give it to the doctor." Brittany said, sweetly, pulling out a colorful handmade book before offering it to Kurt. "I got knocked down an entire letter grade 'cause it was written in crayon."

Emily could see Kurt was hesitant to grab it, but when she smiled at him, he did, thanking Brittany before nodding just barely when Emily walked past him and squeezed his shoulder as she moved to take a seat on the row behind him. Emily had barely made herself comfortable in her chair when Finn came barging into the room.

"What the hell happened?" He demanded, getting all up in Kurt's face.

"My dad's in the hospital." Kurt answered, rather calm considering the whole situation.

"I know. My mom just called me." He said, as Kurt kept looking at him, apparently confused. "I feel like I'm the last one to know."

"I'm sorry, Finn. It didn't occur to me to call you, because he's not your father."

"Yeah, well, he's the closest I'm ever going to get, okay?" Finn argued. "I know it may not look like what everybody else has but I thought we were sort of a family. Look, I guess I just... I didn't like overhearing other people talking about it in gym class."

Kurt simply nodded at that, taking his bag off the chair beside his and silently offering it to Finn. The boy sighed, but sat down anyway and that was when Mr. Schue walked in.

"Hey, guys." He started. "Our thoughts are all with Kurt and I know it's sort of hard to really focus on anything else..."

"Mr. Schue?" Mercedes interrupted him, as he turned to look at her.

"Yeah?"

"I've been struggling, trying to figure out what I wanted to say to Kurt all day and I realize I don't want to say it, I want to sing it." She said, as Mr. Schue nodded. Getting up, she moved to stand in the middle of the room with her eyes on Kurt. "This song is about being in a very dark place and turning to God. It's a spiritual song, Mr. Schue. Is that okay?"

"It's fine." Mr. Schue nodded.

"Tina, Quinn, can you help me out, please?" She asked, as the two girls got up to stand behind her.

The three of them sang I look to you as Mercedes tried to express to Kurt everything she'd been trying to convey to Kurt and, as much as Emily could tell he understood and he was thankful for it, she could also tell he was slightly uncomfortable with the way she had decided to present her feelings to him. When they were done, everyone clapped.

"Thank you, Mercedes." Kurt said, as the three girls moved to take their seats again. "Your voice is stunning, but I don't believe in God."

"Wait, what?" Tina frowned.

"You've all professed your beliefs. I'm just stating mine." Kurt defended himself. "I think God is kind of like Santa Claus for adults. Otherwise, God's kind of a jerk, isn't he? I mean, he makes me gay, and then has his followers going around telling me it's something that I chose as if someone would choose to be mocked every single day of their life. And right now I don't want a heavenly father. I want my real one back."

"But Kurt, how do you know for sure?" Mercedes asked. "I mean, you can't prove that there's no God."

"You can't prove that there isn't a magic teapot floating around on the dark side of the moon with a dwarf inside of it that reads romance novels and shoots lightning out of its boobs but it seems pretty unlikely, doesn't it?" Kurt argued.