Chapter 8

Phase two was quiet a surprise for Saiki but it wasn't in the same time. Here he is, standing in the back of the crowd as the second examiner's tell them what the phase is. Cooking was Saiki's specialty, especially desserts and he wasn't surprised when other applicants began to laugh.

"What are you laughing at!? We are Gourmet Hunters!" shouted the girl examiner, which Saiki remembered her saying her name as Menchi.

The woman's attitude began to get worse when a ninja applicant asked why they should be doing such a thing for phase two. After getting her anger out on the ninja, the huge examiner next to Menchi decided to take a course of action before his partner does something worse.

"The meal for the day is Pork! You can use any pig in the Visca Forest Preserve! Go!" and with the signal, which was his belly, every applicant made their way out the golden gates and disappearing into the forest.

"That's cruel of you to set the meal as pork, Buhara" said Menchi as she looked at the forest beyond the gates.

"But I needed to do something fast" mumbled Buhara as he looked down to his partner.

"Ah, but you do know there is only one kind of pig out there" grinned Menchi as she too, looked at her partner.

While the two chatted about the main course, Saiki smirked to himself and finally decided to make his way out towards the woods before he gets spotted. Great Stamp huh, thought Saiki as he saw a huge pig right in front of him in no time. According to the examiner, their weak spot should be....here! And with that said, Saiki jumped up onto the poor eating pigs forehead, with a thud the pig fell down. With a winning smile, Saiki then brought it back to the phase sight and towards a cooking station. Saiki wasn't surprised is he was the first one there, he knew that the giant pig was with a heard, but he seemed to be lucky to have a wondering one. 

'The cooking shouldn't just be roasted, it needs something that will make them fall over... literally'

Settling the pig down near his station, Saiki went back out the gates, confusing the two examiners who saw him. What do I need again? asked Saiki to himself as he walked by a river stream. Pausing for a moment, Saiki went back into his own 'memories' and an idea came into his head. With a silent nod to himself, the pink headed teen turned towards the river and saw one of the most poisonous plant to humans, a water hemlock. Gently picking it from its roots, Saiki stored the herb into his space pocket and continued on his little scavenger hunt.

Once all the ingredients were carefully collected, Saiki made his way back into the phase two site where everyone was at now. Ignoring the confused faces and amused ones, Saiki went straight to his station and began processing the pig he caught. Cooking was his second and most favorite thing to do besides laying around and being lazy all the time. Since there was no time limit to the cooking, Saiki took all his time and planned accordingly to his memories. When the pork was all nice and juicy, the sauce hot and spicy and the herbs blending in perfectly, Saiki waited until other applicants present their plain old roasted pig. It brought laughter to the teen when he saw everyone's pig gets rejected by the girl and being eaten by the man. When it was his turn, Saiki took his plate and presented it to Menchi.  

"This at least seem decent to eat" mumbled Menchi as she dug in the food.

It wasn't long until she was hooked into the flavor in the food and Saiki can't help but smirk to himself. Luckily, he was able to hide it before anyone could have seen it.

"Delicious, what did you do?" asked Menchi as she wiped her lips.

Saiki didn't bother to answer her straight away which bothered Menchi a bit. Deciding that he didn't heard her, Menchi was going to ask again, but something stopped her. A cough erupted from her, then another. It was a coughing fit for the woman as she fell over her chair and onto the ground holding her now burning throat. Buhara didn't know what to do as he never seen his partner look so helpless before in his eyes. Turning his eyes away from his friend, Buhara stood up and looked at Saiki with pleading eyes. Seeing as though Menchi had enough, Saiki gave a little liguid in a bottle towards the pleading man in front of him. Thanking Saiki , Buhara hurriedly gave the coughing girl the liquid. Once Menchi was cured from her poisoned fit, she got up from her seat and claimed Saiki as a passer. 

Seeing as they won't get to pass as well, every applicant, except for Saiki's group, began to shout curses towards the Gourmet hunters, one even tried to hurt Menchi but was stopped. Said lady also gave an explanation why Gourmet hunters also had it hard for them.

"You all still failed none the less"

"ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT!" came a shout from above. Looking at the sky, a blimp was seen with the hunters association symbol and a figure jumping out from it.

According to the surprised girl examiner, the figure in front of them was the head of the Hunters Association. Nodding his head at the information, Saiki decided that it was enough information for him and zoned out. However, that was soon caught off when he was suddenly dragged into the blimp by Gon and Killua who was laughing at his face. Getting the explanation he need from the two children, Saiki used the time in the blimp as a resting spot for his sore legs. Minutes had passed and the blimp had reached a desired destination. Getting off, Saiki said no words and followed the two little trouble makers towards an opening in the middle of the mountain.

Menchi had explained what was going to happened and showed what they must do. She even told Saiki that he didn't have to do it since he passed the first round. Agreeing to sit the situation out, Saiki watched as every applicants jumped down making him laugh inside. When some of them came back up, and the teen guessing some were impatient, Saiki dusted the dust on his clothes and headed towards the kids.

"Nii-san, are you going to get one?" questioned Gon as he watched his cousin approach the opening.

Nodding back at the child, Saiki gave him his jersey like jacket and jumped into the cavern. Unlike everyone else, who waited for the wind, the teen used his little trick that was up his sleeves. Letting go of the string, scaring some surviving applicants, Saiki grabbed a batch of spider eggs and fell with them. It was a moment of silence before Gon smiled and cheered, confusing everyone.

"Gon, you do know it looked like your brother just killed himself right?" questioned Killua as he looked at Gon.

Without saying a word, Gon shook his head and pointed at the top of the blimp. There standing with all his glory was Saiki who was munching on an egg.