Learning her Place

From an infant the Maxwells put her in the care of a nanny, being sure that they would almost never have to interact with little Kasandra. From a very young age poor Kas knew that her family did not love her and never would. Her nanny how ever loved Kasandra dearly as if she was her own daughter. Her name was Mrs Smith, well at least thats what Kas knew her by, she also called her mum.

"Mum," said a now 4 year old Kas, "why dose me family not love me?"

"Oh my dear sweet angel, I can't imagine why they don't you are such a wonderful child. How I wish I was your real mother."

"Will you tell me another story mum of adventure?"

"Yes my child I will."

Mrs Smith was an adventurous soul, she would tell little Kas wonderful stories about life on the high sea and exiting tails about pirates. The Maxwells never found out about this, so Mrs could tell Kasandra all the tails she wanted.

When Kasandra was 7 years old Mrs Smith introduced her to her boyfriend who was a pirate. His name was Hector, he wore a black floppy hat, had leathery sink, a scraggly beard and little monkey. Kas took to him right away and he seemed to like her as well, he said she reminded him of himself when he was younger. The two would always go to greet him when he made port. However one day when Kas was 8 years old Mrs Smith had very bad news.

"Kasandra my dearest.....I am so sorry but I must leave you." Mrs Smith said weeping.

"But you can't leave your me mum you are and I love you."

"Oh my child I love you as well....but you see I am going to have a child of my own."

"So I shall have a brother or sister then, ye can stay."

"But I can not......there is so much you do not understand my child....but one day I pray you will."

"Mum please don't go, don't leave me please!"

"Oh Kasandra, I pray that the good Lord will reunite us soon."

And with that later that night Mrs Smith left for good. After she left Kas' parents did not care for her at all, she would roam the streets of London all day and afternoon looking for food. The only thing the Maxwells cared about was the she was indoors before midnight, just so it looked like they cared to others. When every they had company they would dress Kasandra in fine close so it looked like she was cared for for the sake of there image. Most of the time Kas dressed in rags looking like any other plain orphan on the streets.

Later that year Renee had a baby boy finally, Kas did  not think much of him as she knew that her family would never love her. Kasandra had learned her place, she would never be good enough, she would never be loved and she would be alone forever.