Chapter 39

Noro didn't know what spirit was quite compelling her to move so rapidly and so fervently. Ordinarily, she would not have survived a leap from half that height. But Noro simply couldn't care right then. All she knew, was that Rin was in trouble, and that she needed to protect her. With that burning thought in mind, her legs proceeded to move her even faster through the trees.

God have mercy upon whomever had laid a finger on the child, for between her splitting headache, and the vehement chanting of her heartbeat, Noro was positively pissed off.

Bursting into the clearing, Noros sprinting heart tripped and fell, her eyes taking in the scene before her in slow motion.

Sesshomaru was locked in combat with a strange man off to her left, and on her right, was a bridge spanning a deep gorge. Rin and Jaken were trapped on it by another man with metal claws.

"Rin," she called, racing forward, swords drawn.

"Rin, go to Lady Noro," Jaken yelped urgently. He got out his staff and aimed it forward, towards the man that had blocked their escape. "Staff of Two Heads!"

The old mans mouth on his staff opened wide, spewing fire at their would be attacker, just as Noro made her first steps onto the bridge. "Jaken you idiot," she yelled. "The bridge!"

The wooden walkway groaned heavily as many of its planks and supports were instantly reduced to cinders. And making matters worse...

"I won't die that easily!"

Their attacker had, by hoisting himself underneath the bridge slats, effectively protected himself from Jakens attack, and was now coming up from between the boards, heading straight towards Rin. Noro ran forward.

And the bridge gave way.

"Damn you Jaken!"