Chapter 74

Kasumi blinked. "What are these jewels," she asked.

The stranger answered. "They are shards of the Shikon Jewel, The Jewel of Four Souls Milady. I am giving them to you so that you may take your revenge on Inuyasha and his brother."

"The Jewel of Four Souls," the demoness echoed. She sucked in a breath on her pipe.

"I and my siblings have been locked away for many years since our defeat at the hands of Inu Taisho's son, so you may not fully understand with whom you are dealing. If this is an illusion of some sort, I will know."

"If it is proof that you require, then say no more. Kanna!"

A little blank eyed girl appeared out of the shadows, startling Kasumi's siblings, as they had not sensed the child's presence. Kasumi gave no such expression.

"This is Kanna the Mirror," Naraku explained. "Kanna, please show our new friends the power of the sacred jewel shards."

Kanna held up her mirror. Instead of showing reflections, the mirror fluctuated, and showed the yokai moving images of battles fought over the jewel, humans and demons alike fighting each other for the scattered shards.

As the siblings viewed the footage, Kasumi's eyes narrowed. "I see you in many of these memories," she stated. "It is clear that you wish to control the full jewel yourself. And yet you would give us shards?"

"I would," replied the spider demon, "because more than anything, I wish for the sons of the Great Dog General to suffer."

"I know your kind," said Hama, their voice still carrying a measure of anger, "your lies have lies, not unlike my sister. Unlike her however, we cannot trust you. Who's to say that you would not kill us and take back the shards when you are done?"

"I have no doubt that that is what he wishes to do," replied Kasumi shrewdly, before Naraku could speak. "This creature is greedy for power, and will steal anything he cannot win."

She spoke of the half demon arrogantly, as though he was merely an animal to her. The yokai knew his weakness instantly, and that angered him. If Naraku had not come to them with different intentions, he would very much enjoy breaking that arrogance to pieces. As it was however, he needed them alive.

"Your flattery is kind my ladies, but unneeded. Will you accept my gift?"

After drawing in a deep breath from her pipe, Kasumi blew out a cloud of smoke that surrounded the half demon. The clouds were so thick and pungent with fumes that even Naraku began to cough.

"No, we do not need the treacherous power of your sacred jewel. However, we will allow you this for telling us of our fathers demise. We will not kill you for taking us so lightly. Good bye."

At this, the clouds vanished, along with the three dragon siblings. Not even their scents remained; only the smell of smoke.

Seeing this, Naraku began to laugh. "All an illusion," he exclaimed giddily. "The legends are indeed all true! Oh Inuyasha... I cannot wait to witness your demise."