Chapter 7

The next morning I woke up to an empty bed and yelling downstairs. I changed into some jeans and one of Johnny's shirts.

When I got downstairs, Johnny was arguing with an older guy and a woman sat at the island in the kitchen drinking a martini. Probably his parents. The guys were gone.

"Oh perfect, you had a girl over too!" The older man boomed, now noticing me.

"Like you care!" Johnny shouted back, shirtless in black sweatpants.

"I want you to get the hell out of my house!" His stepdad roared.

"Where is he gonna go?!" His mom shouted, throwing her martini glass against the wall and shattering it.

"Hell at this point I'll buy him an apartment and pay for it all myself just to get him out of here!" He yelled back.

"Fine." Johnny muttered, grabbing my hand and leading us upstairs.

I sat on the bed while I watched Johnny angrily pack, muttering things under his breath.

"You can stay with me." I suggested, starting to gather up my stuff. He shrugged, throwing on a shirt and his Cobra Kai jacket. He took one last glance around the room and then we left.

"Give me a number to reach your pathetic ass, I will have an apartment in a week." His step dad said, stopping us.

Johnny sighed and grabbed the pen and pad by the phone and wrote down my home number, and then led us out of the house.

When we got to the apartment, mom and Daniel weren't home, so Johnny went ahead and put his stuff in my room, and I let him shower while I made us some breakfast.

After we ate and I did dishes, I called mom to let her know what had happened and she was in agreement to let him stay with us.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I asked, sitting next to him on the couch.

"It doesn't even matter, I've always hated him anyways." He mumbled, watching TV.

"Yeah, fuck him. You can work at the dojo or something. I already have a daycare job lined up."

"Yeah, I could. I'll call sensei later." He said with a nod.

"Wait, isn't that the same daycare job Bobby got?" Johnny asked after awhile, turning and looking at me.

"Yep, we're both working in the same room on our own, with 2 year olds." I explained with a smile.

"Good luck." He said, raising his eyebrows.

"Hey, I happen to love babies!" I defended.

"I don't think I ever wanna be a dad."

"Why not?"

"I dunno, I just feel like I'd mess them up."

"You wouldn't!"

"You don't know that."

"Hey we may have only been dating for a week but I mean I think you'd make a good dad."

"Really?"

"Yeah! You can teach them to kick ass!"

"You can teach them to read." He joked.

"Hey, it's a healthy habit!" I defended, making a fake sad face. He chuckled and leaned over, kissing my cheek.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*6 months later*

6 months have gone by. Johnny did get a job at the dojo, but business is starting to die down because parents are starting to think karate isn't safe.

We did end up getting that apartment, a 2 bedroom about 20 blocks away from mom's apartment.

Me and Bobby work at the daycare together, we have the same shifts so he drives me to and from. I just got my license and I'm saving up for a car.

Life is kind of boring, not gonna lie. Every morning we wake up, eat breakfast together, then leave for our jobs, then come home and eat dinner together, maybe watch some tv, sleep, and do it all over again. Sometimes Johnny spices things up and we get a little, I dunno, spicy, but that's about it.

When Bobby dropped me off after work, Johnny and Tommy were both at the apartment sitting in the living room drinking.

"How was your day?" Johnny asked.

"Fine. You're home pretty early." I commented, setting my purse down on the table.

"I quit the dojo today." He said, looking down.

"What?!" I exclaimed. At least we didn't have to pay bills.

"Sensei is fucking nuts, Michelle." Tommy said, shaking his head.

"He wanted Johnny to teach a FIVE YEAR OLD to finish his enemy. The kid is FIVE!" He continued.

"Who the hell even let him start CHILD classes?!" I exclaimed. Johnny shrugged.

"Whatever. Screw him, you'll find something better." I said, rubbing Johnny's back. He set his drink down and pulled me onto his lap into a hug.

"You good man?" Tommy asked, standing up.

"As long as I have my girl." Johnny replied, rubbing my back.

While I made dinner Johnny scanned the newspaper for job ads.

"Even if it takes awhile to find a job, we don't pay bills or rent, I make enough to feed us."

"No, you save for that car."

"I'm almost up to $5,000 already, I could find a decent used car for that much."

"No Michelle. I take care of YOU. Not the other way around."

"It's not your job to take care of me." I stated.

"No, it's not, but I want to."

"Fine, but if you can't find a job then I'm taking care of YOU until you do." I replied, taking the meatloaf out of the oven and putting it on the counter.

"Not if I can help it." He said, coming up behind me and picking me up.

"Put me down!" I squealed, laughing.

"Nope." I turned around in his arms and tried to pry his arms off of me but he slung me over his shoulder.

"Johnny!" I shouted, laughing.

"Michelle!" He mocked, throwing me onto the couch.

"No!" I laughed, trying to quickly get up. He chuckled and grabbed my arm, stopping me.

Suddenly we weren't giggling anymore and we just stared at each other smiling.

"I love you." We both said at the same time. I giggled and he kissed me.

"Dinner is getting cold." I said, grabbing his hand and leading us into the kitchen.