Chapter Eighty-Three

Start from the beginning

               "She's dead isn't she?"

               He looked shocked, then nodded slowly.

         Katara nodded, "Zuko's getting your discharge papers. Although," she laughed and shook her head, "Getting him out of this room was quite the challenge."

          "What do you mean? I barely see him in here."

          "What are you talking about? Zuko's here for hours. He has to do Fire Lord things, but he's here every night. He doesn't leave your side for more than a few hours. You would have noticed if you weren't sleeping all the time."

          "I'm injured! Cut me some slack!" I thought for a moment, "So, he's really here?"

Katara nodded.

As if on cue, we heard a knock at the door, and we both turned our heads in that direction to see Zuko leaning against the doorway, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his jeans. Zuko's eyes were solely on me, and mine on him. Katara sat in silence as Zuko and I scanned each other, looking at each other with a silent intensity. I felt Katara shift and then cough from beside me, "I'll go wait outside. I think Aang's picking us up," she got up and walked towards the door.

Neither Zuko nor I spoke a word as Katara left the room. Zuko stepped inside carefully, shutting the door behind him.

          Zuko walked towards me and sat down on the bed next to me, "You look beautiful."

I felt my face heat up. I wasn't wearing anything extravagant. I had just changed out of my hospital gown this morning, so I was simply sporting a plain red t-shirt with black sweatpants. My hair was a mess and I lacked any makeup. Zuko on the other hand looked amazing. He wore black jeans with a red loosely fitted button-down, which was partially unbuttoned and barely tucked into his jeans.

I looked into Zuko's eyes, which were still gorgeous under the cheap reflection of the hospital lights. Zuko reached forward and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. His skin barely touched mine, but even that ghost of a touch made me start to lose myself just a bit. I felt a shiver run down my spine and I was sure my face had taken on a tinge of red. Zuko's hand pressed against my cheek, and all I felt was warmth. His hand was warm. Even while Zuko caressed my cheek, his eyes never left mine. We sat there, staring at each other, not even daring to breathe.

And then, I couldn't help it.

Before I knew what I was doing, I leaned forward and brought my lips to his. And then we were kissing. His hand gripped my cheek a little tighter, and his lips were locked with mine. He swept his tongue across my lip, pleading me for an entrance, which I granted with a slight part of my lips. His tongue was on mine, and my hands were going wild in his hair.

Maybe I was touch starved, having not done anything like this with him in weeks, but at that moment, I've never felt such a rush. Such bliss. When I was with Zuko, I felt safe. I felt loved.

And as quickly and abruptly as the moment came, it ended. The second his lips pulled away from mine, I felt myself missing it already.

          Zuko looked at me and frowned slightly, "I've never felt this feeling of absolute terror in my life."

          "Zuko-"

          "Let me finish," he smiled, "Even when my father scarred me," his hand moved unconsciously to his scarred eye, "I wasn't as scared as I could have been, because I did it for you. I would rather bear the pain of this scar than inflict it on you. So, there was no feeling of absolute terror. But," he paused for a minute, "When you showed me your wounds, when you got knocked out by Azula, when you were in the hospital... when you dwindled between life and death," his voice broke, "You flatlined 12 times before you became stable a few weeks ago. 12 times," a tear trailed down his cheek, "I thought I was going to lose you."

I felt something wet roll down my cheek.

Was I crying?

Zuko took a deep breath and looked at me with an intensity that I had never seen from him before.

          "I'm sorry," my voice was strained, "I'm so sorry, Zuko," I reached out and took his face in my hands, "I pr-" I steadied my breathing, "I promise, that you will never lose me."

          "No," Zuko shook his head, "You shouldn't apologize. Nothing was your fault. If I was just a few minutes earlier, I could have prevented everything," he shook his head, "Even if it meant my own death. I-"

          "No."

          "What?"

          "How could you say that so casually? Like your life means nothing? I wouldn't be able to live in a world without you."

          Zuko shook his head, "There's nothing I wouldn't do for you, (Y/N)."

I slapped Zuko across the face, "You idiot! How could you? You are no match for your father- you- how could you?" I slapped him again, "why would you do something so stupid? I can't let you-Zuko I won't let you- Why?"

Zuko smiled, holding his cheek, which was a bright shade of red, "There's nothing I wouldn't do for you, (Y/N)."

"Zuko I-"

          The overwhelming feeling of nostalgia left me shocked. I looked at Zuko and let myself smile slightly, "And I you, Prince Zuko."

          "Not the-"

          "I know."