chapter 34 - home with you

Start from the beginning

Seeing Harry walk away was never easy. Spending time with him was what I looked forward to the most. He made my darkest days brighter, and my brightest days even shinier.

Closing the front door behind me, I figured it was time to get behind the typewriter Harry had purchased.

It took me a while to prepare my brand new writing equipment, but within an hour I was completely set. When I sat on my desk chair, I looked proudly at the object that was right in front of me. Harry had given me the chance to write the much-anticipated novel that could give me the recognition after all these years.

But before my fingers would put magic onto paper, my eyes fell on the screen of my cellphone. Not only had Harry texted me saying he couldn't wait to hear my voice tonight, but I had a voicemail. I probably hadn't seen it when I dialed Mia this morning because it was from an unknown number.

With a frown on my face, I studied the caller ID. However, I had never been the type to memorize phone numbers therefore a name didn't pop up in my head.

Because I didn't want to wait any longer, I listened to the voicemail I received last night.

"Hey, it's me." the sound of her voice – the familiar voice – made its way through my phone; transforming my body into stone. "Uhm . . . you probably didn't expect me to call you. You probably don't even want me to call you, which I totally understand. I.... Well... I assume you are still mad at me for what I have done. I don't blame you for it because I have a hard time forgiving myself for my actions, too. I ruined our friendship. I shouldn't have been so reckless. I should've kept my mouth shut or talked to you whenever I was fed up. It was anything but mature of me to talk so negatively behind your back. And I am unbelievably sorry for the hurt I have caused. It should never have happened. But, at that time, I didn't think it through." a heavy sigh escaped her mouth. "Not only did I call you to say sorry for my stupid behavior, but I am also calling you to wish you a happy birthday, Liz. Happy twenty-third birthday." she stayed unusually quiet, which wasn't like her. "As we both know, the initial plan was for me to be with you in New York, which obviously didn't work out. Even though I can't be there, I just can't let this day pass by without wishing you a great day. I hope you have a good time in the Big Apple. I hope you're surrounded by amazing people. But, knowing you, you have already made a bunch of friends. And I am sure they respect you more than I have done during the last months of our friendship." this was the first time I heard her admitting to her mistake. She was the reason behind the broken friendship. "If you ever want to talk, I am just one call away. I miss you, Liz."

The line went dead, and the voicemail had ended. I felt nauseous after listening to her, which bruised me evermore. Why did she think dialing my phone would make me want to call her back? Make me forgive her for what she had done? Not only once, but a multitudinous amount of times had I been the subject of her conversations in which she portrayed me with disgust. Something a best friend shouldn't do.

Being on the other side of the world, I had given myself enough time to rethink our friendship. Mia had spoken up about the situation, and so did Harry. It was clear she wasn't worthy of my friendship, therefore I needed to let her know this was the ending of it all. We were never going back to the old days.

I could've called her, but she didn't deserve seconds nor hours of my time. That's when I decided to send her a quick but clear text-message.

Liz: Thank you for your call. But I think it's best if we don't contact each other anymore.

I was positively stunned by my actions. I had managed to put the drama with my former best friend aside to focus on the masterpiece I wanted to create so badly. I had been extremely caught up in my story that I was removed from my imagination by the sound of my phone; Harry was calling me.

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AUOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara