chapter 63 - our hearts

10 Hours Away | Harry Styles AU

chapter 63 - our hearts

I hardly had enough stamina to jog for ten minutes, but that didn't stop me from running to him; not even my calves which were burning.

Getting to him was the utmost important thing to do right now, so the people who I swiftly passed were simply obstacles I had to avoid bumping into while my mind was set on getting to Harry.

As my feet were flying over the pavement, my heart was filled with so much love I couldn't help but smile even though I was putting all of my energy into racing to him. It was, believe it or not, electrifying to know he'd be at the finish line. I had never done something this thrilling.

The wind waved through my hair as I pushed myself to go faster, so the adrenaline surged unhindered through my body, a thin layer of sweater covered the nape of my neck, and I was altogether alive. And, whilst I ran, I cerebrated of what could happen after I had spoken freely and candidly to Harry; would we go back to where we had left off?

Seeing his apartment building coming into sight, nerves entered my body as well. Yet, this time, they didn't tell me to turn around and leave. I was unbelievably driven to get to him; to not let this slip through my fingertips. He was home, together with Dylan, but without Ruby, therefore this was my only chance to talk to him without having her nearby.

I quickly thanked the man who held the door for me so I could continue my sprint on the staircase. I could've waited on the elevator, but there was no time to waste. I had to go. I needed to knock on his door and get inside, immediately.

So when I bolted to his front door, passed his neighbors' apartments, and reached his residence, right then and there I noticed I needed to catch my breath. The constant running had given me a pounding heart and an erratic breathing pattern.

Once I felt mellowed out, I hit their front door with my fist. I might've hit their door too many times, causing me to come across as impatient, but I didn't care about that.

When I wanted to touch their door once more, I wasn't given the chance to do so; someone opened up.

There he was.

Handsome as ever and right in front of me.

He seemed totally befuddled because of my unexpected visit, which I understood. I hadn't called nor texted him saying I'd be on my way. He had no time to prepare himself for a talk between us.

"Have you been running?" were his first words.

Nodding my head at him, I realized my face must have been red.

"Yes." I said, gasping for air; my body was still recovering from the long sprint. It was somewhat difficult to speak whilst I was still breathing heavily. "We need to talk." I told him. "Well, I need to talk. To you. And you need to listen to me." I revealed.

The mystified look on his gorgeous face showed me Harry had no idea what was going on, but he opened up the door nonetheless.

Then I saw Dylan entering the living room since he had just gotten out of his bedroom. The way he stared at me displayed he was confused, too. After telling him I couldn't talk to Harry and going home on my own, this visit was unforeseen.

"Do you want a glass of water?" Harry asked kindly.

He pulled me out of my thoughts. "Yes, please." I replied.

And he moved to the kitchen to get me something to drink. That's when Dylan walked up to me and took his chance to talk.

"I thought you went home?" he asked in a whisper.