chapter 09 - caught in the middle

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 09 - caught in the middle

There had never been a guy who had complimented me so effortlessly. But I liked it. I had never experienced the feeling of a guy giving a girl a simple compliment that could make her day. To me, it was something that only happened in romance movies or to girls who were really gorgeous. Surprisingly, I was that girl right now?

Harry had parked the car close to the venue. While we were making our way towards the book launch he lit a cigarette. I saw the smoke vanish in the air as we walked over the pavement. Unexpectedly, he began to ask me about my day and how my story was coming together. He showed interest in my well-being and passion. It was still bizarre to me someone like him existed.

He pointed at the location when we took a right turn. There were people chatting outside and they held a drink in their hands. They all looked quite dapper and I felt underdressed as we blended into the crowd. Luckily, Harry made sure not to lose me in the mass. My heart started to beat faster as he held my hand protectively.

I couldn't help but look around myself – completely amazed by the décor. It was incredibly beautiful inside and I understood why his best friend decided to have his book launch at this place. These gold-colored old chandeliers brightened the room, while there were tall bookcases positioned against the walls – filled with hundredths of books I had never read.

Harry stopped walking, so I did too. I was standing behind him, but he carefully pulled me into the circle he was standing in. There were several people standing across from me, whom I had never seen before. Two of them said goodbye to the guy with the glasses, and they disappeared from our view. I looked at Harry in confusion, since I had no idea who the guy with the glasses was and why we stopped walking.

"You made it!" the guy said happily as he hugged Harry.

"Didn't want to miss this." Harry told him while looking around.

"Only because I got mad at you for not showing up at my first book launch." he stated and Harry laughed it away. But then his friend focused on me and smiled nicely.

Then Harry turned to me, too. "I want to introduce you to Dylan." he let me know.

"I assume you're Liz?" Dylan asked me.

"Yes, I am."

"It's nice to meet you." Dylan said blissfully.

"Likewise." I replied. "Congratulations on your new book. You must be thrilled."

"And scared." he admitted jokingly. "After tonight, multiple reviews will be all over the internet. It's the worst thing in the world." he sighed and adjusted the tie around his neck.

Suddenly, Harry excused himself and assured me he'd be back soon. I wanted to ask where he was going, but I was already too late – he left me with Dylan. I found myself staring at his roommate awkwardly as I didn't know what to do or where to go. I had never been to a book launch nor talked to an author at an event.

"Do you read any reviews?" I asked to keep the conversation going.

"Oh, never!" he said without thinking twice. "After my first book launch, I did read several reviews but then I decided to stop searching for people's opinions online. There can be hundredth positive comments, but I'd always find myself looking for the bad ones." he said. "That's not the best idea when you're often insecure about your writing."

A waitress passed us and Dylan grabbed two glasses of champagne from the tray she was carrying around. A warm smile appeared on his face as he gave me one of them.