chapter 26 - ease my mind

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 26 - ease my mind

To watch him leave me behind in his apartment, did sting. I had wanted our conversation to end differently, but we weren't fortunate enough this time.

It was eerily peaceful in his residence since neither Dylan nor Harry was home. I could've decided to cut and run, but to me, that was equal to defeat.

Even though I had been the 'runner' myself, I didn't want to run away now. If I did, I would start wondering about if the two of us would talk again. Because if I'd leave, then one of us had to break the silence and I wasn't sure he would. His cold goodbye didn't give me the confirmation he was in the mood to reach out to me.

For that reason, I stayed. I had my laptop with me, so I could pick up where I left off. So I resumed working on a brand new story I had yet to like.

While I was working at the library, I wasn't sure if my next story would enthrall me as much as the previous one. However, letting go of my old story was altogether necessary if I wanted to go through with this program. Perhaps, Mrs. Jones would be somewhat proud of me if she knew I was doing what she wanted.

I was comfortably seated on the couch as I was busy brainstorming. With a pen, I scribbled down the characters which would be involved, possible events, and what theme I wanted to stick to.

I tried my hardest to focus on my new work instead of the moment Harry returned. It nonplussed me I could distract myself from what had happened not so long ago and continue writing

My head snapped to the left as I heard someone opening the door. My heart was in my throat since I expected it to be Harry, but I was faced with a mystified Dylan. He eyed at me when he noticed I was present in their apartment.

"How did you get in?" he asked, sounding perplexed.

"You gave me a key, remember?" I joked.

"Did I?" Dylan wondered aloud, believing my words instantly.

"Of course not, silly." I said, and I put my laptop aside. "I came by to visit Harry earlier."

"Where is he now?" Dylan asked when he dropped his bags on the ground.

"He had an appointment with a man who's going to invest in his project. If it all works out." I explained. Apprehensively, I pushed my hair behind my ear. "I talked to Harry about yesterday." I let Dylan know.

"You did? You're fast." he spoke. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks." I muttered softly. "I'm not sure he is pleased about it though."

"Did he walk away from you all angry and disheartened?"

"It wasn't that intense." I clarified. "When I mentioned I more or less wanted to withdraw, he brought up my permit. He is in some way convinced he's an afterthought when I told him I hadn't thought about my permit."

"And what did you tell him?" he asked.

"That he isn't! I understand why he might think he is, but it's isn't true." I said. "Then he had to leave otherwise he'd be late. Because of the way our talk ended, I couldn't go home."

"You know his meeting can take hours, don't you?"

"I do." I pointed out. "But that's fine. I'd rather stay for hours so we have a chance to talk, instead of going home and not knowing where this is going."

"Since you'll probably stay for dinner, maybe we should get some groceries?" Dylan suggested.

A smile appeared on my face. "That sounds like a plan." I told him and stood up. "We should make lasagna."