Chapter 23

[ XXIII] Chapter 23

       "Sulpicia,  my beloved." Aro crooned as he entered the room, cutting Athenodora off mid-sentence. His dark eyes lightened considerably when he noticed his wife lounging on the fainting couch, sparkles and all. Ignored vampire rolled her eyes in her seat beside me, taking a sip of her daily dosage of blood from a wine glass.

        'Look away' She mouthed, averting her own eyes to the ceiling. I raised a brow and stole a glance at the couple. I immediately covered my gag with a fist, Those two were old ass relics yet they were going at it. Genvius screamed in horror, the sound piercing my ears and causing me to flinch as I buried myself deep within the velvet darkness of my mind. What the hell did you just do to us, Genevieve Vienna Montgomery?! 

        Hey! Don't blame me! I retorted, my mind flushing madly as the scene replayed over and over again. STOP. Just stop it, Genevieve! For the love of all that is holy, go find Caius if you have to! . . . That didn't sound like a bad idea.

        'I'm gonna go.' I mouthed silently once I got Athenodora's attention, pointing to the door.

        She nodded and stood. "I'll go with you." She whispered, ghosting over to the entrance. I followed quickly, ignoring the noises behind me. God, this was unbearable. I don't understand how Athenodora could handle this every day. As soon as the door behind us clicked shut, Santiago appeared beside outside,  

        "Queen Athenodora, where is your desired destination this evening?"

        "Do not bother. I have Genevieve with me; she is skilled enough." Athenodora growled venomously in reply and Santiago visibly cringed, moving to the wall to grant us passage. I hurried to keep up with her as she went down a corridor I didn't know existed. I blinked in confusion. "Just follow me. I know of a place where everything is quiet enough." She hummed with a small smile on her elegant face once she caught my expression.

        I bit my lip and nodded slightly. Then, out of nowhere, a small laugh escaped me as I realized that was what she meant about Sulpicia's husband always ruining their talk. "It seems as if you know what I mean now." Her eyes twinkled mischievously. 

        "Yes, Queen Athenodora."

        "Call me Athena, that name is so dreadfully long and boring, even with the title." She sighed, rolling her eyes. "Oh, here we are." And without further ado, she walked into the room as if she owned it. Unsure, I peeked in and froze. There. In front of me. Was a Greek God. Shirtless. Squeaking in embarrassment, I turned my back and covered my face with my hands.

        "Oh come now, Genevieve." Athenodora rolled her eyes, plopping down on a plush seat near the window. "Don't tell me you haven't seen a male body in all your years?"

        "O-O-O-Of c-course not, Q-Q-Q-Q-Queen Athenodora!" I cried, horrified that she'd even suggest such a thing.

        I heard her click her tongue in disappointment. "Poor thing. Oh, Good Evening Caius." She greeted emotionlessly as if she just noticed that her husband was in the room.

        "Athenodora." The Greek God replied stoicly, I could hear the rustling of fabric as he pulled on a shirt and started buttoning it. During this, Genvius forced me to replay the scene of him half naked over and over again. Oh that is such a good sight. You erased my mind of the amorous couple on the other side of the castle. Oh SHUT UP! I screeched.

        "Turn around, Genevieve. I am fully dressed." Caius sighed, exasperated. Cautiously, I turned around. Once I saw that he had a shirt that was at least half buttoned, I sighed in relief. "You are a peculiar being." He commented, tilting his head to the side as he sat beside his wife on another chair.

        "Well I apologize for my virgin eyes." Sarcasm just came naturally to me.

        Caius' jaw twitched. Ignoring my mockery, he motioned to something behind me. "Close the door and sit down."

        "Why should I?" I muttered defiantly.

        "Just close it." Athenodora sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. Obediently, I closed it and sat down where I was. Caius growled in irritation and the queen smirked in triumph.

        "Tell me," The king started, crossing his legs one over the other. "what is your business with me this evening? It must be urgent if you're meeting me in my private quarters."

        Private Chambers? I looked around the room. It was, not surprisingly, neat and spotless. The bed was made and even the marble floor shone. The color themes seemed to be mostly black, gold, and red; the normal code for the Volturi. "My eyes are over here, Genevieve." Mr. Impatient snapped, interrupting my analysis of his room. Athena snorted, holding in her laughter.

        "Okay, okay. Jesus Christ." I rolled my eyes before I shifted my gaze to stare bluntly at the annoyed king. "Happy?"

        "It was Sulpicia and Aro." Athenodora answered his previous question, cutting off whatever lame retort Caius had come up with. In response, he nodded once, slowly and stiffly, in understanding without even glancing at his wife.

        "Alright then." He sighed, rubbing his forehead.

        Nothing happened for several minutes so I laid down and closed my eyes. I wonder what the others are doing. . . the thought was cut off as I heard snarls coming from outside the floor-to-ceiling windows. Blinking my eyes open and ignoring the scowl that Caius had, I stood to half run, half walk to the doors. 

        Gently pulling the fragile glass apart from each other, I squeezed myself out to the balcony. Ooh, that's tight. I heard the last part of Caius' comment just as the doors closed behind me. ". . . idiotic." My annoyance level grew with him, and, without turning around, I flipped the blonde king off. 

        A furious snarl followed and I smiled in satisfaction as I leaned over the ledge to see what was happening. It was Cyrus and Tristan brawling with Demetri and Felix standing on the sidelines, laughing. I tilted my head, folding my arms so my hands gripped my elbows under my bosom. Maybe I should join them. Do you wish to get beat up that much? I guess Aro's manipulation left you a masochist.

        I flinched at the memory as a stab of guilt came from nowhere. Don't remind me. Oh, but I should. You blocked me for months, Genevieve! Another wince. You should be prepared for another mind invasion, maybe— Okay okay. I get it. It's my fault. My head slowly fell onto the cooled concrete. The dying rays of the sun made my hair look as if it were reddish-brown in color.

        Glancing behind me at the two ancients, I saw that they were engaged in a conversation without making eye-contact. Gee, they really do hate each other. "Genevieve!" Tristan called and my attention shifted back to the oafs beneath me.

        The vampire had a small crack in his cheek and I raised a brow. I knew that with vampire eyesight, he could see me clearly as if it were daytime. He shrugged and raised a brow back. My head shook side to side, denying his offer to join. I pointed back into the room and his mouth made a silent 'o'.

        "Genevieve." A smooth voice interrupted our silent conversation and I yelped in fright, almost falling off the balcony. An able hand stabled me by placing a hand on my waist and I peeked up to see Caius scowling at me. "As a vampire, you should be more graceful than this."

        Oh no he di'int! I matched his scowl. "Well I'm so sorry about that, Lord Caius." I said in my sweetest voice and his eyebrow twitched. Tch. He lacks reaction. "Was I supposed to be offended by that?"

        "Yes."

        Ignoring his blunt response, I smiled and tapped his strong jaw twice. "Aw, boo. The only thing I get offended by is your face."

        Genevieve. Genvius growled as she flushed horribly. Caius' expression turned murderous.

        Oh. I'm dead.