Chapter 15

[ XV ] Chapter 15

       Genevieve! The shrill noise caused my eyes to snap open. Slowly, I rested my head back against the wall behind me with a soft sigh. The fading scream made my ears ring and my head hurt like hell. "Are you alright?" Tristan murmured, looking up from his book that he had brought with him on the journey.

        I groaned, my hand coming to the bridge of my nose to pinch it. "Yeah, just thinking too much."

        "Alright then." He went back to his novel.

        Seems like Cyrus isn't back from his hunt yet. I mused mentally as I took a whiff of the scents around me. The three of us had decided to stay in an abandoned cabin near the boundary of LaPush and Forks. Although it wasn't used, the furniture seemed clean and polished. Perhaps someone just got up and left recently.

        But what the hell was that? It felt as if someone was literally screaming in my head. It felt weird, but at the same time, it also felt very comforting. Wha— The phone rang. Tristan and I looked at each other, mildly surprised. "It's yours." He rumbled, leisurely leaning back on the bed as he marked his page and closed the book.

        I rolled my eyes and dug into my pocket, fishing out the blaring device. I clicked the green button and placed the phone on my ear. "Genevieve." I said in a monotone, prepared to deal with any Cullens that may try to get me on their side.

        "Ah, Genevieve, good. Talk to me about the situation." Aro's alluring voice purred through the line, surprising me a little, but I recovered quickly.

        "Of course, Master Aro." I proceeded to tell him everything that had transpired during our stay in Forks. From picking Renesmee up, all the way to the embarrassing event where I almost lashed out at the Cullens. "Thankfully, Cyrus caught me." I finished, wringing my fingers together nervously as I paced the room.

        Aro tsked, but I heard the laughter in his tone. "There is no need to be sorry. No harm was inflicted, correct?" I mumbled an affirmative and he chuckled. "Then all is well. I would like you three to stay until the end of this week, then you may return."

        "As you wish, Master."

        He hung up.

        Tristan sighed and ran his hand through his tousled hair. "Five more days out here in this small town? Doesn't seem appealing to me."

        I scoffed, rolling my eyes and shoving my hands into my pockets. "Oh come on. Isn't it better than being in a castle where everyone's emotions are slowly getting to your sanity?" Tristan glared at me and I knew I hit home.

        "It does not matter. Our feelings don't belong in this world. Only our loyalty to our lords—" Animalistic growling ensued outside, interrupting the vampire. We stared at each other, eyes widened in incredulity.

        Immediately on instinct, the two of us darted outside to see Cyrus being pinned to the ground by a brown wolf that had a white patch over its right eye. "Cyrus!" Tristan bellowed as he barreled towards the wolf. Tackling it to the ground, he rolled a few feet away before wrapping his arms around the pup. He didn't start squeezing the life out of the beast though.

        "Let him go!" A man yelled as he ran into the scene, his muscles bunched in preparation. I immediately flickered over behind the new player to kick him behind the legs to send him to his knees, quickly pulling his arms behind his back to restrain him. I didn't want him to start shifting and cause another problem. . . but his skin burned me, as if it were fire itself, causing me to hiss in distaste. "Your kind don't belong in this town!" He cried, struggling against my hold.

        "Oh really," I purred, leaning down so my mouth was near his ear. "sorry to say, bud, but you have a coven right under your scrawny, good-for-nothing noses."

        The man writhed as I pulled a tad bit harder. "Release him, vampire!" An authoritative voice roared. Jesus Christ, how many people are around here? They're just entering the scene like busy bees returning to the hive.

        "Now why would I do that?"

        "Let Brady and Collin go and we can discuss things in peace. I don't want three unknown vampires to start gallivanting into the city and kill innocents." I sized the seemingly older man up. He wore nothing but cropped khaki shorts that were a bit low on the hips and, like all werewolves, he had toned muscles and copper skin.

        I narrowed my eyes and released the boy, kicking him forward harshly. He sprawled on the ground before crawling over to the other guy. "Whatever. Let him go, Tristan." Said vampire was about to open his mouth to retort when I raised a brow in warning. "Cyrus was not hurt during the small scuffle. Let the mutt go."

        Reluctantly, the vampire obeyed me and the wolf immediately stumbled forward to step behind his colleague. "Who are you guys? Nomads?" 

        "I could ask the same of you." I smirked, crossing my arms. "You came into the scene easily and demanded that I release one of your inexperienced mutts. I don't take orders from dogs so kindly. So it is my right to ask you first, unless you want your head to be severed off of your miserable shoulders."

        The wolves growled but the older man raised his hand. "Silence." Immediately, the growling stopped. I hummed with approval. It seems as if this man is the alpha of this little pack. "I am Sam Uley, alpha of the pack," Guessed right. "protecting LaPush. Now tell me," His brown eyes narrowed dangerously in a silent threat. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

        I sighed and shrugged seeing no reason to not tell him why we were here. "Obeying the orders of my master to watch over the Cullens. I suppose you can guess the rest." My eyes flashed and Sam's eyes narrowed further. "Any more of that glaring and you'll look like you're constipated." I commented airily as I waved a hand dismissively.

        Ignoring my last comment, he took a guess. ". . . The Volturi?"

        "Ding ding ding! Someone's a winner!" I grinned as if I were ecstatic that he had guessed correctly.

        "What did the Cullens do again? Break one of your laws?" Collin huffed, his distaste for the Cullens as clear as day in the tone used.

        "Silence!" Sam snarled and the mutt whimpered in fear, immediately drawing back. I rolled my eyes. This is why I hate dogs; they're way too submissive when it comes to their master's orders.

        "Nearly." I ignored the little banter between the wolves. "I won't reveal any more information. Stay out of our way and I won't slaughter your pack." I chirped happily, a small smile creeping up my face.

        The alpha's eyes narrowed at the hidden, indirect, warning. "I wasn't thinking about placing myself or my pack in a conflict between vampires."

        I laughed half-heartedly. "Wonderful."