92: Did Mr. Dot Deceive Us?

There was a deadly silence on the highway. There were no birds chirping in the air or any sounds of vehicles coursing through, only an occasional breeze of the wind that acted like an invisible hand that swayed the car doors that weren't properly closed. The unforgiving sun blazed down from above as if hell was bent on roasting any living being that dared brave its rays, raising the temperatures to a deadly level.

The sound of shuffling footsteps traveled out from a nearby dark, gloomy tunnel as a group of people walked toward the exit. A young man wearing a beret was leading the group. His red lips curled as he smiled happily. He had a lithe figure, long, slim limbs, and a skinny waist. Even though he didn't look too masculine, he did look nimble, but oddly, he had an awkward gait when he walked.

Lin Sanjiu and the others followed behind him like convicts while escorted by over ten men who looked exactly like him. Even though their hands weren't tied, none of them had any intention of using violence, as they had witnessed the prowess of the weapons those men possessed. Instead, Lin Sanjiu's group just followed obediently.

"Why are you heading to the customs warehouse?" Beret Man suddenly asked without turning around, but Lin Sanjiu did not want to talk to him at all.

"That's because there's a possibility that we'll find a lot of imported food stored there... There wasn't anything edible in the city, and we haven't eaten in two days," Hu Changzai replied.

"Oh," Beret Man answered curtly and did not say anything more.

"Can we rest for a while and continue at night? It's very dangerous to continue our journey under the sun," Hu Changzai asked cautiously after gathering some courage.

"It's all right. We're not afraid of that."

Hu Changzai was shocked by the reply and gave Lin Sanjiu a pleading look. Then, he walked closer to her and whispered, "Xiao Jiu, don't you find the way they walk a little... weird?"

Actually, "weird" was an understatement.

Never in her life had Lin Sanjiu seen any person walk like that. They tiptoed with their heels high in the air as they walked while moving their unilateral arms and legs at the same time. On top of that, the weirdest part was that they did not move their joints when they walked, choosing to instead stretch out and pull back their legs stiffly. It made them look abnormally rigid, and one couldn't help wondering how they could still keep their balance. To deepen that mystery, from the way that Beret Man had shot and killed Zhu Mei, they were clearly able to move their joints...

The moment she thought of Zhu Mei, a shadow would cast on her heart, and she couldn't help feeling sad.

Under the scorching sun, the Beret Men did not fall. On the contrary, they walked even faster. After walking at a quick, steady speed for three hours, Lin Sanjiu and her companions could no longer endure the torture much longer. Starving for two days, then forced by these weird men to walk under the sun for such a long distance, B. Rabbit was the first to throw a tantrum. He sat down on the floor with his bum and shouted, "I'm too tired! I can't walk anymore. I'm not taking another step. You can just kill me however you like. Quick!"

Even though he sounded ready to die, his posture told a different story. His four paws were grounded, and the fur on his back stood up straight. He had obviously prepared himself to jump out of danger at any time. The Beret Men behind him had not expected him to suddenly stop and refuse to walk, so a few of them nearly fell. Just when Lin Sanjiu could nearly feel cold sweat appearing on her forehead, one of the Beret Men put down his gun barrel and grabbed B. Rabbit. It carried the rabbit and continued moving forward.

Under the sunlight, the pink little carrot symbols on B. Rabbit's body could be seen clearly. The pattern on his fur was the result of the [Versu Poison] he had consumed. The three humans and lone rabbit looked at each other with astonishment.